All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I've never posted here before so I don't know where to post a prayer request. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place.

My friend Harry (who is an Athiest) hasn't had the easiest life. He's had problems with alcohol and drugs since a young age. His parents are divorced, and he lives with his father who he says is rarely sober.

He recently became severely depressed after his girlfriend (the only thing that made him happy) broke up with him. He believes everything is pointless and that he is nothing without her. He doesn't think he has any worth and feels so alone and thinks he has no one.

All he wants in life is love. I spent an hour trying to talk him out of killing himself yesterday. I don't know what to do/say anymore. Nothing I say seems to get through to him. He keeps avoiding getting counseling because he believes nothing will help him so what's the point? 

He's at the point of not caring anymore. 

I keep praying God will help him, but he just seems to keep getting worse. Please pray for him. 

He's 21 btw.

Views: 1086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Carla, 

Prayer is always necessary in all ways and for always!    Amen!

You can't leave someone alone when you're praying for them.  

I thank you 

Amen Watchman

Blessed 2014 Monday-When in need of a Support System-Ecclesiastes-4:9, 12-Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their labor-And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken-Dear GOD- I reject the enemy's attempts to destroy your child Harry; Your word teaches that two are better than one, because a person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back to back and conquer-LORD, we ask that you send to your child Harry sincere Holy Spirited filled friends, those special brothers and sisters born for your adversity

We have all family members, friends, and even what we'd consider strangers that we must leave to the Lord.  I have family members that thrive in a vigorous way on themselves.

The Lord Jesus Christ is the ONLY One to deliver a life, this in and of itself is a miracle.  Humanism steps in and says that you control the situation and that everything relies upon you for someone's salvation...this is FALSE.  

Our response to all of it is prayer.  Again I say, You don't walk away from someone when you are praying for them.  

Our silly little minds want to act as if we are the "make or break" of someone's eternal standing.  We give the Gospel, we tell the Truth.  We are here for God's good pleasure, His glory....To think that we are anything more or less is to have an unrealistic standard and idolize ourselves.

And this is actually the hardest thing to do is walk away & allow God to do His work esp when it's your kids.

Especially when it is your children or your own!  I've had times in my life where I felt I was getting in the way of God...trying to make everything more pleasant and easy...when in retrospect, I was only in the way.  We can 't continue on this road called "fix everyone's way before sending them to Christ".  Doesn't happen, we are not calling people to us, we are calling them to Christ Jesus.  

I love you Tammy, so much, I'm praying my heart out and am standing expectant.

I love you too girlfriend. Our babies will be with us in glory. It just isn't happening fast enough for us. lol Praying for yours as well.

I love you too girlfriend. Our babies will be with us in glory. It just isn't happening fast enough for us. lol Praying for yours as well.

This means a lot to me Tammy, Thank You.

God doesn't need anyone, and while I believe God only does some things after we prayed, our prayers don't change God's mind. For some reason God has chosen to include people in the process of reaching the unsaved and then in building up the Body. To have a place and a calling in His plan does bring God glory. The answer to many prayers comes in the form of someone who is fulfilling that calling of them from God.

Ephesians 4
English Standard Version (ESV)
Unity in the Body of Christ

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3 eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 7 But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift. 8 Therefore it says,

“When he ascended on high he led a host of captives,
    and he gave gifts to men.”
9 (In saying, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower regions, the earth? 10 He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

Nope, God absolutely doesn't "need" us, we need Him, but unfortunately some of us seem to be under the belief that someone will become lost because of something we did or didn't do, this is humanism. 

A saying I heard once before that comes to mind is:  When your happiness depends on what someone will do or won't do, you do have a problem.~ Anonymous ~

I'm not sure who the ones are to whom you refer. The lost are lost. It isn't about us saving them. God has chosen to use people in His plan to preach the message of faith, to make disciples, to carry out the Great Commission. His plan will go forward and be fulfilled, whether someone answers the calling or not that He places before him or her. It's not about personal happiness at all. It is about serving, obeying, and glorifying God. People are born lost and spiritually dead. No one makes them become lost. Sometimes we walk with people for a long time according to God's will and sometimes we walk away. My only point in this discussion is that walking away based on emotions doesn't need to happen. IMO contact with someone shouldn't have to be broken based on how they are affecting us emotionally because we don't have to let ourselves be affected emotionally. It's possible to distance ourselves emotionally and still not break contact with the lost and the hurting. We -- you and I and everyone else -- can disagree on this. It's OK. :)
The way Jesus walked with Judas for three years, is a great example of continuing to walk with an unsaved person. God does good things for the lost and the unjust, even those who never become saved. I will end my participation in this discussion by saying to each one and to all, stick to your own convictions and follow the Lord's leading for how to relate to other people in your life, whether you stay or walk away from them. It's between you and God.

Here's a sermon by Finney, God Has No Pleasure in the Sinner's Death.

Finney states:

Sinners have had all their good things in this life. So Christ distinctly taught in the account he gives of the scenes after death, in the case of the rich man and Lazarus. He represents Abraham as saying to the rich man "Son, remember that thou, in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things." This, you will bear in mind, was said in answer to his earnest entreaty that Lazarus might be sent to him and might dip the tip of his finger in water and cool his tongue, for, said he, "I am tormented in this flame." To this Abraham replied, "Son, remember that thou, in thy life time, receivedst thy good things." It is affecting to think that he had exhausted all his good things so utterly that not one drop of water remained to be given him now--not a drop! It must be greatly trying to God's feelings, after having so much enjoyed doing good to even sinners in this world, that, after death he can do them no more good forever! Yet this is plainly the view which Christ gives of the case. It is the sinner's relations to God's government that preclude so utterly all further manifestation of mercy. He stands before that government in the relation of an enemy, one whom that government must punish, as it would protect the rights and welfare of myriads who depend on it for their happiness. It is truly an awful thought that the sinner must suffer so--so intensely and without the least possibility of mitigation forever; and that God, when the sinner cries for one drop of water, must forever reply--No, NO, I have done you all the good I ever can do. You have had all your good things, even to the last drop of water!
http://www.gospeltruth.net/1855OE/550620_gods_no_pleasure.htm

The Lord bless and keep you,
Amanda

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service