All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I've never posted here before so I don't know where to post a prayer request. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place.

My friend Harry (who is an Athiest) hasn't had the easiest life. He's had problems with alcohol and drugs since a young age. His parents are divorced, and he lives with his father who he says is rarely sober.

He recently became severely depressed after his girlfriend (the only thing that made him happy) broke up with him. He believes everything is pointless and that he is nothing without her. He doesn't think he has any worth and feels so alone and thinks he has no one.

All he wants in life is love. I spent an hour trying to talk him out of killing himself yesterday. I don't know what to do/say anymore. Nothing I say seems to get through to him. He keeps avoiding getting counseling because he believes nothing will help him so what's the point? 

He's at the point of not caring anymore. 

I keep praying God will help him, but he just seems to keep getting worse. Please pray for him. 

He's 21 btw.

Views: 1086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Acts 26:28-29
English Standard Version (ESV)
28 And Agrippa said to Paul, “In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?” 29 And Paul said, “Whether short or long, I would to God that not only you but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am—except for these chains.”

I remember reading a sermon on Agrippa,""Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian."sermon by George Whitefield:  

http://www.biblebb.com/files/whitefield/gw043.htm

Really good sermon by George Whitefield

I think you like to read just as much as I do...I hope you find tremendous encouragement in this.

No. I didn't find it encouraging, but since I have no way of knowing if Agrippa did repent before he left this life, even in his last moments, (who could know) what does encourage me is that God promises His word does not return to Him void but accomplishes His puposes and that the fact that this account has been recorded in His Holy Word gives me hope that others who read it will choose light over darkness.

I'm sorry that you didn't.  I found this text so colorful and filled with depth.  Paul is giving us an example, he is stating his testimony about his Lord Jesus Christ with such clarity and beauty.  I guess that it affected me differently then it did you.  I found it's content's admirable and courageous.  This is only part of the sermon that I provided the link for.  

"The chapter, out of which the text is taken, contains an admirable account which the great St. Paul gave of his wonderful conversion from Judaism to Christianity, when he was called to make his defense before Festus a Gentile governor, and king Agrippa. Our blessed Lord had long since foretold, that when the Son of man should be lifted up, "his disciples should be brought before kings and rulers, for his name's sake, for a testimony unto them." And very good was the design of infinite wisdom in thus ordaining it; for Christianity being, from the beginning, a doctrine of the Cross, the princes and rulers of the earth thought themselves too high to be instructed by such mean teachers, or too happy to be disturbed b such unwelcome truths; and therefore would have always continued strangers to Jesus Christ, and him crucified, had not the apostles, by being arraigned before them, gained opportunities of preaching to them "Jesus and the resurrection." St. Paul knew full well that this was the main reason, why his blessed Master permitted his enemies at this time to arraign him at a public bar; and therefore, in compliance with the divine will, thinks it not sufficient, barely to make his defense, but endeavors at the same time to convert his judges. And this he did with such demonstration of the spirit, and of power, that Festus, unwilling to be convinced by the strongest evidence, cries out with a loud voice, "Paul, much earning doth make thee mad." To which the brave apostle (like a true follower of the holy Jesus) meekly replies, I am not mad, most noble Festus, but speak forth the words of truth and soberness." But in all probability, seeing king Agrippa more affected with his discourse, and observing in him an inclination to know the truth, he applies himself more particularly to him. "The king knoweth of these things; before whom also I speak freely; for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him." And then, that if possible he might complete his wished-for conversion, he with an inimitable strain of oratory, addresses himself still more closely, "King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest them." At which the passions of the king began to work so strongly, that he was obliged in open court, to own himself affected by the prisoner's preaching, and ingenuously to cry out, "Paul, almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian."

I should clarify why it's discouraging to me. The sermon makes the almost Christian that of being the Pharisee, in my perception. Legalism is very difficult bondage to break free from and I don't see Agrippa as a Pharisee. The sermon makes terrific points as far as the hypocrisy and false piety of many. I was saved at a very young age but got way off track into legalism. Therefore, what encourages me is a Saint Paul who would share short term or long term, whatever it takes, out of the desire that all might have what he had. I am very thankful for those who have walked with me as God has been setting me free. I do understand why some must walk away. I've decided not to judge them. I fully understand the need to distance from people. One day I hope my heart and spirit are strong enough to not have to distance myself from people except to just do as Christ did, and that is take some time alone with the Father. I call it alone time to regroup :) I've been regrouping for four years. Lol
I have read commentary on Paul's trials. Here is some very heavy reading but we are off topic.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/Acts/Agr...

It definitely takes time for roots to grow.  As I look back on my own life I see in hindsight that God was always there leading me back to Him.  Hindsight vision is 20/20.  :-)

Walking away from someone is not the same as giving up on them.  It's also not the same as not caring about them.  Walking away physically as I understand is to commit someone to God's care.  It means praying for them and remaining open to them.  They may be unteachable and controlling at the moment, but once God gets ahold of them (accomplished thru prayer) they may be ready in the future.  God may lead us to play a part in their lives at that time.  Sometimes our own 'stuff' gets in the way of course.... as you said we all have something to deal with. 

I remember my own journey to Jesus.  I was very hardened against Him...up until the moment that I wasn't.  It seemed to be an instant eye opening, but as I said earlier, hindsight is 20/20.  Looking back I see how God was drawing me to Himself over many years, and also how He was protecting me in various ways.  At the time, I had no idea.  God is faithful, and He is good... All. The. Time.

As I said, I'm all for walking away from people when we see the reason to need to walk away, whether temporarily or permanently. I hope to grow strong enough in my heart and spirit that I will never see the need but maybe there will always be the need. As far as someone meeting the condition of being teachable, it's probably relative. What I think is a teachable spirit in someone is likely different from your view of what a teachable spirit is in a person and what another's view is and so on. I think both Agrippa and Festus had a teachable spirit, not simply because they wanted to hear Paul but because they wanted to do the right thing as far as justice goes. That required hearing him. I know others who read the account might not see that in it. By the same token, if we don't want to hear someone, are we ourselves being teachable? Shall we just proclaim what we want to say (i.e. gospel) and get out of Dodge? I'm being facetious. But I fight the temptation daily to close myself off from everyone altogether.

Nevertheless, saving faith is implanted in hearts through hearing the message of faith. We know also the soil matters. My point is simply, regarding walking away from people due to emotionalism or feeling emotionally drained and exhausted or emotionally stirred up, etcetera, is more about something within me and isn't about the other person, or other people.

Amanda,

"I hope to grow strong enough in my heart and spirit that I will never see the need but maybe there will always be the need."

Possibly in our broken sinful state we try to make it about 'us'.  Scripture teaches us to learn to 'walk in the spirit, not the flesh' Part of the journey we are on is to learn how to do that in all things.  I believe if we walk away from someone but continue to pray would be honoring God as we demonstrate that we trust in Him.  Of course every person has the choice to refuse Him.  If we walk away from them, shut them out emotionally, hold resentment towards them and let hatred fester...clearly we are making it about ourselves.  I am speaking generally here, not to any particular person, or about any particular person.

Blessings, Carla

I'm speaking generally, too, and sharing the insight I've received for me personally. As I said it might not be applicable to anyone else. I fully understand walking away from people as you've stated it, both what you've stated as the right way of walking away and what you've stated as the wrong way. My point is still that walking away for emotional reasons IS about me and not about the other person or other people. I will continue praying that I become strong enough in my spirit and heart to overcome walking away for that reason. I will continue walking away, too, as I described in my other comments, creating psychological distance between the person and myself, so that I control my emotions instead of reacting and responding out of them. It's OK for us to disagree about this.

Amanda,  I agree it's healthy to talk things thru.  I don't really see this as a disagreement...just a discussion.

Blessings, Carla

Tim & I have walked away from several of our children & left them to the Lord. One has returned. Still waiting on the other two. Praying the 3 little ones will be a little wiser with their choices but only time will tell.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service