All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

How can you witness to people who don't have a foundation for their beliefs?

My dad,mom and Uncle Hubert are similar in this.

Dad and Hubert,if you tell them something is in the Bible they don't agree with they'll just say the Bible has been corrupted by man. And they'll refuse to listen to anything you say,they'll just argue. Thing is they're not atheists. They believe that God exists,they believe Jesus exists. And they both believe only 144,000 are going to Heaven. I'm confused though because how can they trust their misinterpretation of the Bible on the 144,000 if they think the Bible has been corrupted in the first place?

Mom has said the Bible is God's Word yet it's manmade. She said it's manmade because "God didn't come down and write it." She doesn't understand the Holy Spirit inspired them to write what we now have as the Bible.

A long time ago mom heard on t.v. about Jesus being God. She was upset. I told her "It's in the Bible". She said "The Bible's wrong than." I told her it's in the JW Bible [thankfully they didn't mess up Heb. chapter 1. Even though that Bible has been modified they somehow missed that chapter]. She said that's wrong,too.

So,even if I tell her it's in the JW Bible she won't believe me. I'm confused though because one time she said it's God's Word yet when it comes to something she doesn't believe in [the Deity of Christ]. Instead of atleast attempting to "prove" with the Bible that Jesus isn't God she just said that the Bible is wrong with nothing to back her up.

And if she hears someone say Jesus is God she's very likely to get very arguative. 

How do you explain something to someone when she refuses to listen and will only argue and get upset? Also,she has no foundation. She doesn't even have the JW's as a foundation because she denied their Bible translation. No matter what "foundation" I use, whether it's a regular Bible or the JW Bible,she'll just say the Bible is wrong.

Also,how can I even attempt to say anything to mom? If I tell her "Jesus died for your sins" she'll think I'm telling her Michael the Archangel died for her sins. Whenever she hears someone talk about Jesus she thinks of Michael the Archangel.    

I know I've asked about some of these problems before but I don't think I've asked about all of them. I have to group them together so I don't get confused.

Views: 1959

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

May I pl. add this also:  Almighty God did not choose anybody to go to hell for ever.  Adam and Eve our first-ever parents CHOSE to disobey and thus displease thier Maker and the result was that the whole human race fell into sin, (Rom. 5:12).  Whether human beings like it or not, that PRINCIPLE of God stands.  It's totally illogical when we try to figure it out.  Btw God doesn't care about human logic.  Either we accept His will or "go to pieces!"  Becauyse of one man's sin, all human beings  have been punished with a death sentence followed by eternal hell-fire!  Now if Almighty God had not CHOSEN some human beings to go to heaven,  not one human being would be in heaven.  So, instead of "arguing" with God about His will, it's better that we human beings accept what He decreed!  That way we have the PEACE of God that passeth all understanding.

My point is:  How can we grieve over God's will being done?  God has clearly said that He does not want any human being to go to hell-fire.  To that end He PROVIDED a way of ESCAPE (John 3:16).  But billions of human beings over the years have decided that they can find their way to heaven in their own way.  God says:  Here's the way...take it.  The vast majority of Humans say:  No thanks,  we know how to get there without your help.

People reap what they sow!  That's not only a NATURAL phenomenon, but a God-given one too!

Do you really think God has no sorrow in this?

We may grieve as God grieves.

Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live? Ezekiel 18:23, ESV

Cross References
1 Timothy 2:4
who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Job 37:23
The Almighty is beyond our reach and exalted in power; in his justice and great righteousness, he does not oppress.

Psalm 147:11
the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.

Ezekiel 18:32
For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Ezekiel 33:11
Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?'

Micah 7:18
Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.
Treasury of Scripture
Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? said the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

Ezekiel 18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dies, said the Lord …
Ezekiel 33:11 Say to them, As I live, said the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in …
Lamentations 3:33 For he does not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.
Hosea 11:8 How shall I give you up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver you, Israel? …
1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; … http://biblehub.com/ezekiel/18-23.htm#

May I humbly ask:  Did Jesus Christ  and Saint Paul NOT confuse people with what they taught?   Jesus confused His own disciples by talking to them in parables!  Is not the whole of the Book of Revelation a bunch of confusion?  What about Ezekiel ?  IMHO  God wants people to be confused so they will SEEK the truth.  Those who seek find!  Those who walk away in disgust, don't!

To me the important question to ask is "Is it divisive?" 

This is one topic in which we are to proceed with caution as it can be divisive.

If it is discussed in ways that are not divisive, then feel free to proceed.

IMHO only agreements on any point is not divisive.  Disagreements always are divisive.  If all are in agreement on any point, then there is not argument.  People argue because they are NOT in agreement.

I would like to share that when you feel you have to share that you're being humble please note: YOU'RE NOT BEING HUMBLE. Just a side note.

In our last HangOuts, we discussed predestination.

Perhaps soon I will participate once again in the HOA bible studies. So much has been going on. Truly, this has been a year of trials and troubles. One of my older brothers died in July after a long illness. He was 58 and he didn't attend church during his life or follow Christ although he believed in God. I believe he made peace with God before he left this life. Last night, my oldest sister and the oldest one of us eleven children, was placed in the hospice care center. She was diagnosed with extensive small cell lung cancer in October this year and was told she could have six months to a year if she received chemo and radiation to try to slow the cancer down but they said she could not be cured. Of course, we've prayed for a miracle. She is 61 and, as far as I know, she still believes in the Jesus that JWs teach. Will you pray for her?

Amanda,

Absolutely I'll pray for her. I'm also sorry about the loss of your brother. I know that must be tough. 

I'll be glad to see back in HangOuts. You bring the deep questions which make us think & dig deeper. 

Thank you for saying that and thank you for all you do here on AAG. I'll always remember how you've helped me communicate my questions and answers during the hangouts. You have very good questions, too, as well as answers.

Hi Feet, God bless you!

Nice to see you here. I miss you. I believe in the spoken Word of God and that it never returns void or empty.  Isaiah 5:11 says...So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.  It accomplishes something even in the spiritual realm even if we cannot see it. The Word also works in our hearts and other's hearts. God's Word has an impact whether we know it or not. Never underestimate the power of the spoken Word of God. It is powerful and sharper than any twoedged sword.

Hebrews 4:12...For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Just patiently and kindly sew. God gives the increase. You are not responsible for their reaction. Who's to say if another will come along sew more verses and the time will be right. I think God is big enough to do that. Sometimes because our family is used to us we are the last person they will believe, but God can send another. We can pray for them.

I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. (1 Corinthians 3:6)

But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house. (Mark 6:4)

Love,

Mary

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service