All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Views: 586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I keep saying Faith Movement but it's the Word of Faith movement.

I'm not one to drop names. Who am I kidding? I love to drop names. Here are a listing of several Word of Faith/prosperity ministries:

Benny Hinn

Joyce Myers

Creflo Dollar

Kenneth Copeland 

Bishop Eddie Long

Paula & Randy White 

Paul & Jan Crouch (TBN)

I've also seen where TD Jakes seems to be crossing that line as well

In Africa, Word of Faith is sweeping the continent.Christianity Today estimates that more than 147 million of Africa's 890 million people are "renewalists", Pentecostals or charismatics who believe the health and wealth gospel. Sociologists say the message of money, cars, houses and the good life is almost irresistible to poor and oppressed audiences. 

John Piper - Why I abominate the prosperity gospel

I am not condoning those that abuse the teaching of prosperity, I know they are out there, but as Char said, why do we have to lump everyone that mentions being prosperous, in with those that abuse it?

I wonder why we as Christians then, trying to be imitators of Christ; with compassion for the poor and hungry, and us having no money; just go down to the river, cast in a hook, catch a bass, bake up a loaf of homemade bread and go feed those that are less fortunate? Jesus used what little a boy had, just 2 fishes and a loaf of bread; so let us be imitators of Him.

Or should we do as it tells us in Isa. 58:6-7,10. Is  not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? When you see the naked, that you cover him; and that you hide not yourself from your own flesh? Then shall your light break forth as the morning, and your health shall spring forth speedily: and your righteousness shall go before you; and the glory of the Lord shall be your rereward……,10th, if you draw out your soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall your light rise in obscurity, and your darkness be as the noon day:….11.  And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

How can we do this if we ourselves are feeling that God doesn’t want us to be prosperous, living on just enough to get along and to feed our own families?

JB

Prince Uko,

Good subject matter, Bro,

I gotta tell you, group........Whenever I surf the Christian channels (which isn't very often), I come close to grinding my teeth listening to those blatherskites telling poor unsuspecting people that their miracles are waiting for them if..............

But, the apostle Paul, who had many enemies, tells us in Philippians 1: 15- 18, " Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife; and some also from goodwill; (16) The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; (17) but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. (18) What then? only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, and will rejoice."(NKJV).

So, as long as Christ is preached, that's what is important. And those who are in it for the $ and fame will answer for it at the judgement seat of the Lord (II Corinthians 5:10).

Tammy, I tried to keep it short.......and that's very difficult for me re: this subject.

Grace and Peace.

Rich,

Great reminder my brother. Blessings

Hey David, did you move back to Ks.? I haven't talked with Roy lately, have you?

Joe

LOLOL. You did awesome Richard. I think Creflo DOLLAR is the most obvious one. His name says it all. ROFL

Popular Christianity in America today often tells us that God's path is smooth and carefree; that faith in God automatically leads to increased prosperity, family happiness, and carefree living.  If it doesn't, then your faith must be lacking.  "Name it and claim it" and "give to get" and other similar teachings are a staple of many hugely successful televangelist ministries that embrace the "Prosperity Gospel."  

But, would we have the audacity to say that to Christians elsewhere that are enduring persecution, suffering, oppression and even death because of their faith? 

The kind of faith that many practice today is one where the focus is on getting what I want when I want it.  Lost in this is the centrality of the cross in the Gospel message.  Our Lord didn't take the easy way out.  It's not surprising that in the ongoing clash between faith and culture, in a nation built on materialism and consumerism, the culture has gotten the upper hand redefining Christianity for many.  It's supposed to be the other way around.

The kind of faith that God wants from us is one that cares about the lost, the lonely, the hurting, the hopeless, and the left-out--not one that focuses on our own desires.  God calls us into a relationship with him and with one another.  Let's not forget that the door is narrow and it takes a mighty divine pull to enter it.

Whole-heartedly agree. I would be ashamed to teach such a thing to others who die for the gospel. 

I agree with your agreement of Colby's comments ... :-)

I love when you agree with my agreement of agreeing

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service