All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

What is the primary purpose and function of the church?

Why does the church exist?

Views: 1072

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never read those things when they post them. For one, it's always forever long. I just enjoy reading what is in the individual's heart & mind. That's just me. This one isn't too bad long so I may read this one. :) 

Amen Tammy! I believe if the person writing the answers to “gotquestions or any references from people that are not personal responders on this forum; were personally involved, it would be a little different, but I always thought that a forum was for the thoughts and understandings of those responding. Of course references from scripture would be acceptable, because this is telling us the way you are actually understanding the subject, based on the Word.   When I am talking to a person, I want to know how they believe, not what others that have no part in this conversation believes. But I have noticed a lot of the responders here use other references other than scripture to prove their point. That doesn’t tell me this is the way they believe; just the way someone else believes.

The bible has a voice; it’s called “Grace” and we as believers give voice to His Word, because the bible itself cannot speak audibly; the only voice it has, is the one we give it; and that is by faith in the Grace of God.

Just me and my thoughts,

JB

JB,

I understand your point, but I think your are taking it a bit far IMO. I do not use a lot of links, but there are times I will when what that link says is basically what I believe (there are a few other reasons as well). Got Questions happens to be a group that I align quite well with overall. Even in conversations we may very well include something that another author or preacher has said. Therefore links are acceptable and useful on TheNET. You may prefer not to use them, but please be respectful to those who do.

Lord Bless,
LT

Good words.

I believe the church was established to minister to other’s needs, or for fellowshipping with others of like precious faith. As far as worshiping is concerned, that is to be done on an everyday bases, not just when we all come together. And for testimonies of what God has done, or is doing in your lives. This is done for encouragement, to embolden others to minister wherever they are, or for those that have been oppressed by our enemies.

I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.Psa.34:1

1Cor.14:26, that…..when you come together, every one of you;   [not just the preachers] have a song “psalm” a doctrine, a tongue, an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

[brackets, are mine]

JB

JB,

What do you make of Acts 6 and the delegation of duties? What was the primary purpose of the Apostles that led to the appointing of deacons? Also, what about Ephesians 4?

Lord Bless,

LT

See, I loved this response & I read it. hehe. I love that scripture you posted. It's always been one of my favorite & even when I read it here, I got cold chills as if it was my first time.

Thanks to all who have replied thus far. Let me toss something out there and see where it goes.

IMO too often in the Christian life we focus on the "doing" rather than the "being." Too often we are striving to do this or accomplish that, when in reality our focus is not the outward work, but the inner being which outward works will ultimately flow from. If we are born again we are a child of God. I do not have to learn to be a child of God ... I already am a child of God. I need to learn to live as a child of God in a way that brings glory to my Father. This applies to the church. The true church does not have to learn to be the church, but rather as the church we must learn to glorify God. The change in wording here is subtle, but the implications are great.

So, what is the purpose of the church? What does the Bible refer to the church as? There are two major themes. 1) The body of Christ and 2) The Bride of Christ. Both represent living organism rather than institutions. The Bible also tells us that we, as children of God,  each make up a part of that body. Paul uses the analogy of various body parts to describe us. This is true of the church as well, since the church is made up of individual believers and not the various organizations.

The purpose of the church is to be Christ (His representation/ambassadors) on earth. The purpose of the church is to live out a life that glorifies God as Christ lived a life that glorified the Father. What goes on in the four walls is not the most important thing. By that I mean it is not all that important as to what type of music one church plays, or the type of dress, or the version of the BIble, or whether they meet on Saturday night or Sunday morning. What matters is are they, as a local body, living out the life of Christ and being the part of the body of Christ (hand, foot, etc) that God has called them to be.  I seriously doubt (IMO) that God intended to have cookie cutter churches where they all look and act exactly alike.

This is only a partial food for thought. Tons could be said on this issue, but I will only add one or two more comments. Diversity is not the abnorm, but the norm. Paul again makes that clear ... what if we were all eyes, or all hands, or all feet? That would not make up a complete body. God's design is bigger than our finite minds, again IMO.

So, what is the purpose ot the church? I think the Westminster Catechism says it well in question one (even though it is applied to the believer, yet the church is made up of believers). "What is the chief end of man? Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him for ever." The church's (bride of Christ) primary purpose is to glorify God! And to enjoy Him forever!

How each local body will accomplish that is going to be different. That means they may not look like you, talk like you and act just like you. They may have a different focus and function than you. Some are heavy on local evangelism while others focus more on world missions. some are more focused on seekers and others on teaching believers. What says either or both are wrong if they are fulfilling what God has called them to be as a part of the body? Paul again refers to that as well when using the body analogy. One part must be careful to not look down on another part, all are vital to the function and health of the body. 

The purpose of the Church: Be the body of Christ on earth.

This is a great forum discussion.   I was thinking a teaching about fellowship with God and fellowship with each other and the differences would make a neat blog. Because we have our relationship with God. Is that inside? But then we have a relationship with each other and that seems more outward. Just kind of thinking about it right now. 

Then you talked about the purpose of the Church being the body of Christ on earth. Then I got to thinking about being ambassadors for Christ. It's a great verse.

We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. (2 Corinthians 5:20)

I'll think about this discussion for days. It's blessed me a lot. Thank you!

:-)   What does IMO stand for? 

Love,

Mary

Mary,

IMO means "in my opinion."

2 Corinthians 5:20 gives us a clear picture as to what one of our responsibilities are as children of God. Good verse. Regarding the relationship with God being in us we know that Colossians 1:27 tells us that "Christ in us, the hope of glory." Our relationship with God is internal, but has external aspects as well. It is safe to say that our relationships on earth with others is primarily external with internal affects. I think the topic would make either a good blog or forum if you should choose to start either :-)

Lord Bless,

LT

Michelle,

It pleases me to know that what has been shared has been a blessing to you and I trust others. Thank you for responding.

Lord Bless,

LT

LT,

You've touched on something very important.  Is it any wonder that the Bible describes the Church as the Body of Christ?  Paul the Apostle describes the Church as being like a human body.  The body is relational, interdependent, and collaborative.  As Paul writes: "There are many members, yet one body.  The eye cannot say to the hand, 'I have no need of you,' nor again the head to the feet, 'I have no need of you'" (1Cor12:20).  We are all the Body of Christ, each and every one of us who follows Jesus Christ.

Instead of isolated individuals, we have to be in relationship with one another.  That is the second part of the great commandment; that we are to love one another.  Instead of being independent and alone, we have to be dependent on and collaborate with one another.  The Church is not a human organization even though it is made up of people.  It is not a society or a building.  It is an extension of God's incarnate nature on the Earth.  It is, as Paul tells us, the Body of Christ.

Now, that does not mean that the Church will be perfect.  The Church will always be a divine as well as a human organism.  God created and sustains it, but it is populated by humanity.  But it is nevertheless, the Body of Christ.   The Church's lack of perfection, its occasional in-fighting and division, which date to the First Century, are no reason for us to give up on the Church and become "lone ranger" Christians.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service