All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

As I do usually, as I read I ask.....Lord what does this mean ?

Its pretty simple, the meaning I ment..After all the praising and singing and playing instruments in Praise celebration  the 4th verse to the end of this psalm seems like a directive more than a psalm..and it has me wondering especially verse 6 Let the high praises of God be in their throats and a two edged sword in their hands 7)to wreak vengeance on the nations and chastisement on the peoples,to bind their kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron,to execute on them the judgement written!!!! This is the glory for all of His faithful ones Praise the Lord!!

How would we apply this??How would Israel do this?

1) Praise the Lord!!,Praise God in his sanctuary, praise him in his mighty firmament!!2)Praise Him for His mighty deeds;praise him for his exceeding greatness3)Praise him with trumpet sound;praise Him with lute and harp!4)Praise Himwith timberel and dance;praise Him with strings and pipe! Praise Him with sounding cymbals!! Let everything that  breathes praise the Lord!! Praise the Lord !!!

How are we to understand that....to wreak vengeance upon the nations...to execute the judgment written.....what judgement? how could we being basically sinners do that with righteousness?? we are not Him...we don't have that kind of authority at least I didn't think we did...because of judge not lest ye be judged....this has me in a bind....it seemed like a great discussion piece.

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In Nehemiah’s time the sword was used against a violent enemy (Neh 4:13, 16, 17–18). Sanballat, Tobiah, and Geshem were threatening the virtual destruction of the program for rebuilding Jerusalem’s wall. For Israel the two-edged sword in their hand was literal and deadly.

It is no coincidence, however, that the book of Hebrews describes the Word of God as “… quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword …” (Heb 4:12). Today, converts are not made with a steel sword, but with the quickening power of the Word of God. We fight against principalities and powers; we fight in the power of God’s Spirit. Metaphorically, for those who have a new song to sing, the song of redemption by the blood of Jesus Christ, the two-edged sword is to be used against the prince of the power of the air (see also Rev 19:12–15).

When the Israelites returned to Canaan, it was their responsibility to execute vengeance upon the heathen, & punishments upon the people. This was the righteous judgment of God upon a godless people. Israel was to bind their kings with chains, & their nobles with iron fetters, even as Nebuchadnezzar had bound Zedekiah with fetters of brass (cf. 2 Kgs 25:7). All these victories for the Israelites will bring glory to God.

Although the New Testament saint cannot literally claim these promises for his own, nevertheless, one can see a prophecy herein. The prophets of the Old Testament foretold of the glorious conquests of the heathen world by the gospel. These conquests are by the sword of the Word, not by the sword of steel. They ultimately come when the living Word of God establishes His one thousand year reign upon this earth. At that time He will come to execute vengeance.… to bind their kings and to bring honor to all his saints (cf. Rev 19:11–21); and both Old and New Testament saints will be able to join together to say, Praise ye the Lord.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service