All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I've never posted here before so I don't know where to post a prayer request. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place.

My friend Harry (who is an Athiest) hasn't had the easiest life. He's had problems with alcohol and drugs since a young age. His parents are divorced, and he lives with his father who he says is rarely sober.

He recently became severely depressed after his girlfriend (the only thing that made him happy) broke up with him. He believes everything is pointless and that he is nothing without her. He doesn't think he has any worth and feels so alone and thinks he has no one.

All he wants in life is love. I spent an hour trying to talk him out of killing himself yesterday. I don't know what to do/say anymore. Nothing I say seems to get through to him. He keeps avoiding getting counseling because he believes nothing will help him so what's the point? 

He's at the point of not caring anymore. 

I keep praying God will help him, but he just seems to keep getting worse. Please pray for him. 

He's 21 btw.

Views: 1086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To All,

I see nothing wrong with ending relationships and, in fact, relationships can be ended with a blessing. They can be released in love. I'm referring more to the situation of someone helping a suicidal, unsaved young man without letting his emotions or emotional outbursts affect them.

I think it's possible to relate with other people who are going through something very intense and who are displaying very intense emotions and to help them but remain emotionally neutral ourselves. It's called temperance. I believe it's possible to become spiritually strong enough not to have to walk away from anyone simply because of emotions. I hope to reach the point of emotional restraint and self control. Neutral doesn't mean cold and unfeeling. 

IMO contact with someone shouldn't have to be broken based on how they are affecting us emotionally because we don't have to let ourselves be affected emotionally. It's possible to distance ourselves emotionally and still not break contact with the lost and the hurting. If contact needs to be broken for other reasons, then, by all means, break contact. Bless the person and walk away.
I said Festus but meant Felix.

Acts 24:22-27
English Standard Version (ESV)
Paul Kept in Custody

22 But Felix, having a rather accurate knowledge of the Way, put them off, saying, “When Lysias the tribune comes down, I will decide your case.” 23 Then he gave orders to the centurion that he should be kept in custody but have some liberty, and that none of his friends should be prevented from attending to his needs.

24 After some days Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was Jewish, and he sent for Paul and heard him speak about faith in Christ Jesus. 25 And as he reasoned about righteousness and self-control and the coming judgment, Felix was alarmed and said, “Go away for the present. When I get an opportunity I will summon you.” 26 At the same time he hoped that money would be given him by Paul. So he sent for him often and conversed with him. 27 When two years had elapsed, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus. And desiring to do the Jews a favor, Felix left Paul in prison.
I agree the Father draws. There are more ways than one. There are also times when someone can reach the point where they are no longer able to see that they can "step up & do something about it." In fact, even Saint Paul reached that point. My prayer is that this young man reaches the point where he relies on God.

2 Corinthians NIV

1Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,

To the church of God in Corinth, together with all his holy people throughout Achaia:

2Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Praise to the God of All Comfort

3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 5For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 6If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

8We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters,a about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. 9Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.
May God deliver this young man and anyone tonight like him who is reading this discussion, or who is lost and hurting, addicted, hopeless, whatever the situation may be.

Funny you said this watchman cause I, too, was thinking along these lines but just didn't want the slingshot coming back at me for fear someone wouldn't understand what I was saying. As bad as we desire others to be healed, we can't want it for them. We can only share & pray. The Father has to draw them. We can only plant those seeds.

Misfit of God,

It sounds like his perspective is that life is bad, it always has been and always will be. Since he’s in another country, you are limited in helping him. Of course, normally when someone is threatening suicide, the first priority is getting the person immediate help and intervention to prevent the suicide. The next level of intervention is addressing the issues and problems which are causing the distress. That generally means treatment and counseling. As a long distance friend, just realize that he’s going to make his own decisions, and although it would be tragic if he followed through, you aren’t to blame. The very fact that he is talking to you means he is reaching out and that, in turn, means, he does have at least some will to live. Continue praying for him, continue listening to him, and reminding him that life in the past for him has had some ups and not all downs. I pray he will become more rational and that God will open his eyes, mind, and heart. The loss of his girlfriend is overshadowing everything in his life, including the good things such as his friendship with you. I pray that the part of him that wants to live will clutch at life. I'll keep praying also that God will open a door to you to share the gospel with him.

Hi,

The best thing for most suicidal people is to be there for them. Sometimes not saying anything and allowing them to talk does wonders. On thing is important to ask Harry, ask him if he has a plan. If he does, that is when you need to take action and call a mental health facility or 911, they are equipped to handle suicidal individuals. Be prayerful as you are with him. You and Harry are in my prayers.

Lord, you see this situation and I know it is your desire that none should be lost. With that being said, I ask that you give Misfit of God the wisdom of when to talk to Harry and when to listen. Lord I also ask that you take off the scales of atheism from Harry's eyes so he can see you clearly. I rebuke the spirit of suicide off of Harry, in Jesus name, amen.

He told me yesterday that he doesn't have the guts to actually kill himself, but because he won't get any kind of help, I'm worried he will eventually get to the point of being able to do it. 

We live long distance, so I can't do much.

But thank you for praying. Means alot. 

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and his present depression.  Here are a couple of articles which may help give you words to talk to him.  I pray God guide your heart, spirit and mind.  Be careful when talking to someone who is in this 'state of being' so that you don't end up depressed where he is.  You must be strong in your faith that Jesus can actually make a difference in your own life, and therefore show him that Jesus is Someone (The only One) who can actually lift him out of this pit.  Ultimately, your friend needs to understand that his existence is not worthless or pointless or meaningless.  We all have a purpose and worth which is immeasurable.  By saying that our purpose has worth and is immeasurable I mean that we are created by God in His very image... created for His Glory and His purposes.  However as we are brought into this sin-filled world we lose sight of that, and need to be brought back to God.  Our purpose is immeasurable as everything we do somehow affects others.. our thoughts, actions and words affect other people.  If a person takes his or her own life, it profoundly effects the lives of others.  It's a devastating loss of potential, worth and value.  This world doesn't need more death, it needs more life.  Focusing on God and on others is life giving and is profoundly healing.

http://www.blogos.org/compellingtruth/whitney-houston-death.html

http://www.blogos.org/churchandministry/friend-depression-1.php

The greatest pages of his story have yet to be written... 

Blessings, Carla

Thanks for praying.

Nothing I say gets through to him. He's just given up on life and doesn't care anymore. I'm starting to feel like God isn't even listening or cares. 

God cares!  and He always listens because He is good, and He is Love. 

I've told him about how killing himself would hurt other people, he doesn't care anymore. All I can do is hope God saves him because he's beyond my help. 

But thanks everyone for your prayers, they really do mean alot. 

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service