All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

"Starbucks CEO: If You Support Traditional Marriage, We Don’t Want Your Business"

Views: 1975

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

There are many Christians who uphold equal rights but oppose same-sex marriage and call homosexuality a sin. Whether or not equal rights is biblical is a whole other discussion but convincing Americans that recognizing same-sex marriages as a civil rights, equality, and political issue rather than a social, moral, and religious issue reminds me of the type of argument that Paul mentions in 2 Cor 10:5.

In my first comment in this discussion I talked briefly about double standards.

Here’s an interesting article from one of gotquestions network of websites which mentions the double standard and other standards and the question is who has the ability to make the call about what is right in this issue of marriage (same-sex, polygamy, traditional) as well as all the sexual options that humans have?

Gay marriage and a chicken sandwich

Equal rights is a silly concept. We discriminate in so many areas that equal rights is an impossibility. For instance: we do not allow children to operate motor vehicles. Certain handicaps certain individuals from doing certain things. It is just the nature of the thing. Equal rights is misleading concept. Will God grant equal rights to the believer and unbeliever? Whether or not He gives equal rights to all individuals is another issue but there is definitely a basis on which He chooses. We are just sure what that basis is. Does God heal some and not others? Does He make all people equal? Some people are born in very distraught areas while others are born in more prosperous countries. Some have much and some have very little. The idea that God grants all equality is ridiculous. Some are born beautiful while others  - well not so much. haha Some can dunk a basketball while others can barely jump. We are not all equal. I'll have to read the article later but it does look very interesting.

Equal rights - ridiculous. That argument won't wash. Again, I agree with Taminator that our logic is stupid. I spent quite a bit of time laughing this morning when I read that.

Lol. But recent polls, if the stats can be trusted, show that when looking at this from the equal rights POV, many Americans support it now who didn't at first. It's a good article IMO :)
My stance, even with my first comment, is that we ought to uphold God's standard 100% in all respects of His standard for marriage and for all sexual options available to humans for choosing. But we can't expect the world to uphold God's standard. That's what I was trying to say. And we look like total hypocrites when we say one sin is OK while another is totally not OK. You know, double standards .... All sins are totally not OK.

This is from near the end of that and sooooooooooo very true!

However, one standard that is clear as a bell in these situations is a double standard. Those on the side of homosexual marriage decry discrimination yet they applaud the discrimination of Boston’s mayor and other politicians who say they will discriminate against Chik-fil-A when they try and open a restaurant in their town.

Christians are accused of hate speech, yet let a Christian voice their opposition to the homosexual agenda and you will be treated to some of the most vicious name calling seen on the planet.

Amen.

The best thing to do as I see it is just to teach God's standard and preach salvation to sinners. I could boycott places of business and picket with signs at one place that say marriage should be between men and women only and over at the other place that marriage should be between men and women only in the instance that neither are committing adultery and both are believers, but is that what God is calling me to do? I need to let my light shine in such a way that others will see my good works and glorify God, not hate Him even more.

Thanks Roy. I wasn't referring to anyone who was homosexual. I was referring to Grazer. He said "Because I don't see how God would condemn a monogamous loving relationship". My point was to say that God never works on our level. I was saying that if He worked in our level of logic, He wouldn't be God. Thanks for the reply tho.

I understood what you were saying.

To provide a better answer courtesy of Rachel Held Evans;

I'm a Christian, and I support marriage equality because part of loving your neighbor is desiring equal justice under the law.

The problem with this statement is defining "whose law." God's or man's?

Governments are ordained by God according to the Bible are they not? Or have I got that backwards?

They are put in place as He lifts them up and takes them down, but that is not the same as saying they act as His voice. Did God allow Hitler to come into power? Of course, because God is sovereign. Did Hitler speak and act for God? What say you?

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service