All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

First = John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (KJV).

First public announcement that God was giving out free "get out of jail cards" (out of the bondage of sin by Christ) to whosoever will.

Second = Ephesians 2:8, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God:"  (KJV).

The mechanics of God's free offer -  How we receive this gift of grace (unmerited love and mercy) from Almighty God by believing and trusting through His Son Jesus Christ.

Third = Revelation 20:15, "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." (KJV).

Redemption! Reward! Eternal life in one of the Father's many mansions.....and not eternal torment.

What do you think, group?

Views: 605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You guys are great.

Colby, that's interesting on our N.T. picks.......... and I love the Book of James, lotta good stuff.

Janie, the NLT is one of my favorite translations. Please do yourself a big favor, and read the book of John......even if you just do a couple of verses a day.

Charles, I think Bible verses make the best hymns and choruses.

And Vicky, welcome to the discussion. Excellent choices of verses. Romans draws a lot of comments alright.

O.K., as promised, reasons for choosing Ephesians 2:8 as my #2 verse.........

This is the logical follow-up to John 3:16. So a person accepts the offer to receive Jesus.......what is the underlying engine to put this in motion?.....It's God's grace ......"By grace you have been saved through faith, and not that of yourselves; it is the gift of God." Sweet, savory grace: God's love for us, in spite of ourselves......and His mercy, which we don't deserve.

Here's the biggie = How do we receive this Divine stream of grace?...... through a channel called faith.

What we're saying here, guys, is no faith channel....... no grace. The channel (faith) must be open and working to receive God's grace.

Read the verse again....."By grace you have been saved through faith"......

Hebrews 11:6, " But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

My point.....a believer can't get his or her walk with the Lord going without Ephesians 2:8 in place.  Naturally, a new Christians's faith level will be just starting. But there had to be enough faith (with the Holy Spirit's help) to claim John3:16.

Grace and Peace to all.

Richard,

Faith, indeed!

Hebrews 11:1 says that "faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

Romans 12:3 urges Christians to sober their estimation of themselves in accordance with the "measure of faith" that God has given us.  

• Does that mean that God grants different measures of faith to different Christians, or does he grant all the same measure of faith?  
  • Does he give us just enough faith to be saved?  
  • Does our faith grow over time?  Can it diminish?  How can we increase our faith?

Faith, hope and love,

Colby

Grace is God’s Part, Faith is our part; before I get cut down, let me explain, Faith comes from, and through what God has already breathed; His Word, We hear the Word, the Holy Spirit convicts our heart, we believe it and by faith receive it.

You are right; we enter into this grace by faith. Ro.5:2.

The same way we receive everything from God, by grace through faith, “As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus, so walk ye in Him” Col.2:6. So, how did we receive Him? And how do we walk in Him? Again, by grace through faith.

JB

Thank you for that biblical explanation of faith and grace!

Colby

Hi Group,

Alright, we're gonna get down.

To start with - I completely agree with Joe on everything he said.

This matter of faith is very difficult and hard to fathom.

Colby, to answer your questions, Sir : After the initial amount of faith given by the Holy Spirit (Romans 10:17, Ephesians 1:13) for a person to be convicted, I believe each believer is on their own in the faith dept. (Matthew 6:30, 8:26,14:31, 16:8, Luke 19:17, I Timothy 3:9, II Timothy 2:18,speak to various levels of faith of different people.). I think the only faith directly from God is one of the nine fruit that we allow the Holy Spirit to generate in our hearts.

Yes, one's faith level can grow (or decrease). Please see Luke 17:5-6, Acts 6:7, II Corinthians 10:15.

And I say again: Unless one's faith channel is open and working - he or she cannot receive God's grace, or is limited.

Please note: The passage listed above (Luke 17:5-6) started with the disciples asking Jesus to "increase our faith".

He did not increase their faith. He told THEM HOW to do it. So, with that thought in mind, when people

pray to God to increase their faith, God's Word contains the formula.

Thank you all, Brothers and Sisters for your continuing participation in this deep subject.

Grace and Peace. 

Galatians 3:20 makes my cry.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Romans 8:28

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Colossians 1:28

We proclaim him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, that we may present every man complete in Christ.

One more bonus verse if you don't mind. :-)

Zephaniah 3:17

The Lord, your God, is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.

Hi Derek,

Galatians 2:20 is one of my favorite verses.

It brings me closer to my Lord and Savior.

And Derek, bonus verses are great. Once we start with our favorites, it's difficult to stop.

Thank you for your participation.

Grace and Peace. 

Richard. I see above that you have posted scripture on faith. I plan on looking them up... Do you have favorite scripture about biblical repentance? If so and you don't mind .. will you share? Thank you in advance for any answer.

I think we all have our favorites because of how they have affected us in our life situations. The verses you selected are beautiful & are the beginnings of our walk with Christ & expresses His love for us.

Janie, dear one.......

It's my opinion the best illustration of Biblical repentance is in two adjoining verses, to answer your request, is in Romans 12:1-2.

Verse 1: As we live and breathe, and give our bodies to the Lord for Him to use as He sees fit, we let go of all old ways of life

and let Him have complete control. We allow the Holy Spirit to set up His temple in our heart.....and help Him generate the nine fruit of the Spirit ( Galatians 5:22-23 ) as we progress.

Verse 2: We discontinue all the ways of the world (Satan), and allow the Lord to renew our thoughts and process of thinking. Renewing means renovating. What happens when a city has a renovation project? First thing that is done is to completely tear everything down.....and start fresh with everything new. That's what needs to be done in our mind and heart....... to put us in tune and step with God.

To truly repent, a person must change to the point of appearing, and sounding like a different person.....kind of like being born again.

So, these two verses from Romans must be evidenced  early on, as a person enters the sanctification period in their walk with the Lord.......or the conversion failed to take place.............

Hope this helps.

Grace and Peace.

Thank you Richard for this. I have copied it and put it in my email folder for reading and learning.  I am a slow learner but I will be rereading it and looking up the scripture.

Janie,

A powerful passage from the Lord regarding your interest about repentance = Luke 24:46-47, " Then He said to them, "Thus  it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, (47) and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."

......repentance and remission of sins.......in His name....to all nations........

Amen, Janie.

Grace and Peace.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service