All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

If a loved one is suffering from depression, what is the best way to help them to see it, admit it, and reach out for help?

Is it ever a good idea to suggest medication? ...or does that only provoke?

I am pretty sure it is depression...

Here are some of the symptoms i am seeing:

angry outbursts

blaming others

not seeing own faults

heavy drinking

withdrawing oneself

hates own life

continually nitpicks at people--excessive nagging

I guess I really want to know if suggesting medication will provoke, or help?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and biblical advice.  I really don't know what to do.

Blessings, Carla

Views: 1183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

CArla,

One more thing then I will hush...

I would never tell a person that they didn't have enough faith. I don't know how much enough faith is. However, I would tell them to keep their eyes stayed upon Christ. Faith melts away when one's eyes are off of Christ. Remember Peter and the dunking he experienced when he took his eyes off of God.

Blessings...

Rita

Rita,  now that is something I can get onboard with...  Keep your eyes on Jesus. I would add.. Trust in His Will for your life.  He knows best, and He will work all things together for your good and His Glory.  One day HE will bring us all home. HE will wipe away every tear from our eyes and take away all the pain and suffering we have had on this earth..  He is our God had He is faithful.  Indeed..  Keep your eyes on Him. 

Blessings, Carla

Hi Char,

Thank you for your contributions.

I agree faith is different for everyone.

I agree that not all sickness is due to sin..  Just a point of clarification.. 

I think the point made that sickness is due to sin...is not referring to personal sin (the choices we make), but rather indebted sin (the sin we are born into-inherited from Adam).

Although, personal sin (our choices) may well be a cause of sickness.

There is so much that is beyond our understanding..  That's why I really like what Rita said earlier.. "Keep your eyes on Jesus" :-)

....good to hear from you, I always enjoy reading your responses.

Blessings, Carla

Char..  I meant to say imputed sin.. rather than indebted sin.  Meaning it is the sin we inherited.

Rita,

The first part of John 9 gives no identication that the blind man had any faith, nor that he was even seeking to be healed. JEsus found him and healed him. He was not blind because of his parents sin or personal sin. He was blind from birth in order for the power of God to be revealed. This tells us that healing has more than one component. Faith is one, God's will is another.

LT,

I actually cited John 5 not John 9

However, I do believe that believing what God says in His Word is also important. God gave us His Will for our lives. Testament=Will.  If we strive to do His will as we are taught in the New Testament we don't need to wonder what His Will is for our lives. We have it in front of us in black and white.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. From my POV belief is the study of God's Word under the Holy Spirit and believing that that Word is truth. I don't think that the Holy Spirit will lead any of us astray.

Blessings...

Rita

Nancy,  Beautiful.  Thank you.  I agree.

I really like what you say about God healing us on His terms rather than our own.  We may ask for physical healing, but God has something better in mind...
He can see the complete picture ...we can't.

looking at it from this perspective, asking for physical healing can be rather short sighted and limits God.  He may have something completely different in mind...it will be better than what we have in mind.  I have seen God work this way in my own life.

Blessings, Carla

Awesome Nancy.. HE is with you every step of the way.  He wants us to know that.

I think that's what God wants.. He wants us to come to Him for everything before coming to people.  As we learn and grow we do come to other believers to help us discern...and get godly counsel.  But we have to get to the point that we are able to discern God's voice over everything else that threatens to distract us or take us away from God.  That alone time with God is soooooo--oooooo important.

Blessings, Carla

Faith is a gift of the Spirit, So you have all the faith you need to move mountains. Is your mountain bigger than a mountain?

So it is not a matter of how much faith one has, it is affected more by how much "unbelief" you have. This is what stops your faith from becoming effectual. "unbelief" Remember;  

Matthew 17:19-20 (KJV)
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

I'm sorry, but for some reason I just can't understand this line of thinking; in light of the following scriptures, Can any of you explain these for me?

Joe

Matthew 9:28-29 (KJV)
28 And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord.
29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.

Ephesians 3:20 (KJV)
20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

Nancy,  I'd love to hear from you..

Hi Carla - one thing I find interesting is the number of people who find it hard to identify with having mental health issues. When I was going through my depression I did not want to even consider let alone accept that I had mental health issues. And yet so many people have mental health issues - ie issues that disrupt the equilibrium of the mind. A lot more people nowadays are accepting that they have mental health issues (I freely do) and that professional assistance is necessary -  evaluation, therapy and/or medication?

I think it would be best for you to seek professional advice about what the symptoms in your loved might one relate to so that you may be better prepared in helping?

It's difficult to know what to do sometimes to help but I think that the basis from which to work on should be love and compassion. Sounds easy but I believe they will prove successful. Perhaps sharing how it makes you feel might get your loved one to think productively? Sharing about your love for the person and how much you care that they are being affected. 

I think that if you can somehow get across to the person that it is not something that they have brought on themselves or something that they deserve might be of value. 

I believe that behind the scenes prayer is always beneficial. God will come through always. I pray that you can be strengthened in this cause as you help your loved one to overcome.

In Christ,

Desmond

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service