All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

As a Catholic Christian I am often hurt by the contempt with which the Church is written about here at All About God. net.  And yet I know that many Christians would not be able to answer even basic questions about the Biblical-based teaching and practice of the Holy Catholic Church.  So, here is a quiz that I found at Catholic Bible 101.  Can you pass this quiz without looking up the answers before hand?  And if not, then could we all agree to get to know Catholic Christianity before we condemn Catholic Christians?

Take the quiz and find out. 

1. Pope John Paul II instituted a new set of mysteries to the Rosary called the ______Mysteries.  It is suggested by the Church to say these mysteries on _______ .
  2. The 3rd Glorious Mystery of the Rosary is the ________.
  3. Saul saw Jesus as a bright light on his way to _________.
  4. The first Christian in the New Testament, as well as the first evangelist, was _______.
  5. Paul describes Jesus as the new ______.
  6. The Ark of the Covenant contained three items, according to Paul, including ____, ____, & _____ .
  7. There are at least 3 righteous people mentioned in the Book of Luke, ____, _____, and _____.
  8. According to the Bible, _______ is the prince of the air.
  9. The first murderer in human history was _________.
  10. Adam and Eve's third son was named _______.
  11. Jesus is a priest forever, in the order of _______.
  12. True or False--The Catholic Church added the 7 books of the "apocrypha" to the Bible after the Protestant Reformation. 
  13. True or False--The Bible condemns all tradition.
  14. The Liturgy of the Hours draws mainly from the Biblical book of ______.
  15. __________ was completely forgiven for his sin by God, but still had to endure the death of his child as punishment.
  16. ________ told Mary that a sword would pierce her heart.
  17. Psalm _____ foretells the crucifixion of Jesus and that lots would be cast for his clothes.
  18. Bethlehem means _______of _______.
  19. The prophet _______ foretold that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem.
  20. The prophet _______ foretold that Jesus would be  born of a virgin.
  21. The prophet _______ foretold that Jesus would be sold for 30 pieces of silver.
  22. _________chopped off the head of General Holofernes, saving Israel. She is a biblical type of Mary, who crushes the head of the serpent, saving the Church.
  23. ________ was caught up to heaven in a whirlwind.  Just prior to that, ________ asked for and received a double portion of his spirit.
  24. _____ went to the Witch of Endor to get her to conjure up Samuel from the dead.
  25. True or False - Witchcraft, sorcery, and divination are not condemned by the Bible.
  26. ____ & _____ asked Jesus if he should rain fire down on a Samaritan village.
  27. Jesus appeared to his unknowing disciples after the Resurrection on the road to _______ .
  28.  In _____ chapter 6, Jesus told his disciples that if they eat ____and drink ____ they  would abide in him, and he in them.
  29. The angel Gabriel called Mary _____ of _____, rather than by her name.
  30. __________ was an Old Testament Prophet and King, who was a shepherd, was born in Bethlehem, started his Kingship at 30 years of age, and foretold that evil men would cast lots for the Messiah's clothes.
  31. Following the death of King __________in 930 BC,the nation of Israel split into the Northern Kingdom, called ________, and the southern Kingdom, called __________. 
  32. Of the 12 tribes of Israel, ___ were in the northern kingdom, and ____ were in the southern kingdom.
  33. The capital of the northern kingdom was ____________, while the capital of the southern kingdom was __________.
  34. In 722 BC, the northern kingdom was taken captive by __________.
  35. In 587 BC, the southern kingdom was taken captive by __________.
  36. The ________ kingdom eventually returned home after 70 years of exile.
  37. The ________kingdom assimilated with pagan countries and was never heard from again.
  38. Jesus said that a kingdom __________ cannot __________.
  39. According to 2 Maccabees, ________buried the Ark of the Covenant containing the 10 Commandments in a cave on or near Mount ________.
  40. Also according to 2 Maccabees, the long dead prophet _________ appeared to the former high priest Onias and to Judas Maccabees and presented a golden sword to Judas. Onias said the prophet_______much for the people and the holy city.
  41. Straight out of the Bible, the Seven Sorrows of Mary are ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, & ________.
  42. _______ was taken up into heaven in a whirlwind (at the spot on the Jordan River where ________ started his ministry years later),  after giving a double portion of his spirit to his protege, ________.

Views: 1203

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sharon, there is a need for ..'.Beloved, when I gave all dillegence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints' Jude 3. To 'struggle for', as to labor or fight or to compete for a prize, my concordance says. I am not a very confrontive person either and I would like to be able to go smoothly through life, thinkin 'I'm ok' . What I believe, I know. But these discussions are for our very souls and salvation to follow. I hope and pray that we can all obey the exhortation given here to be open to debate that makes all our foundations more secure, resting on the very word of God and Jesus Himself. And do it in the Spirit of humility and openness to look honestly at ALL of our beliefs, and if they line up with Jesus' words. It is good that there is a place to do this, here on site with fellow brothers and sisters. I've wondered too, if we would be so bold if this was in the flesh, so to speak. But we have such an abundance of material to draw from and time to organize our stands and writings. I am so blessed and encouraged that Jesus Christ IS being preached and lifted up here. Let's not grow weary of these excercises, Sharon. Be it unto you according to your faith. And please remember David's words in one of his comments, 'Tolerance is not love. To not correct...is not love. To watch you live in error, is not love...' Jude's scripture tells us to build up ourselves in our most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, keeping ourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. Jude:20, 21 Let's be sure of our foundations of faith. Much love to you, Sharon, terrie
Dear friends,

I have gone through and replied to all of the initial replies to my post. I am now going back to reply to the replies to my replies to the replies to my post.

For the sake of clarity, and sanity, I am starting a new thread to take this discussion to the next level.

Thanks!

Sharon.

BTW: If we ran a poll today what would your vote be:

Catholics are Christians

Catholics are not Christians
Hi Sharon,

I will respond to your response this coming week as I want to give you the respect of a thoughtful answer. Regarding the poll you are asking people to vote on... I don't think that anyone could answer such a question. Discernment does play a part, but this type of generalization is not in keeping with what anyone has said here. The general comments have been that the Catholic church teaches certain things which are not upheld by scripture, but certainly NOT that all Catholics are not Christians...no one has said that...because it is not true.

I am Praising God that you Love the Lord...and my hope is that all who claim this faith of Christianity Love Him so that we bring Him Glory in all we say and do. It must never come down to an individual denomination... It's all about Jesus...NOT Catholicism. Your faith is between you and God....that goes for each one of us.

Blessings, Carla
Carla,

I agree 100%! Thank you!

Sharon.
Sharon, I wish it was as simple as a poll to define one group as right and the other group as wrong. Things are more complex than that when it comes to large bodies of information and practice - especially as vast in scope and history as Roman Catholicism. There are people who attend and lead within my own church whom I would have issues of dissension over their practices and beliefs.

You will not find me to judge individuals that way; as being in a Right camp or a Wrong camp . I will judge ideology and theology, based on categorical truth as defined by Jesus and his 12 chosen spokesmen. People can have wrong practice and right convictions; wrong convictions and right practice - as easily as Right/Right and Wrong/Wrong.

What we must do is seek to hear Jesus message and follow it - as He leads. Not as we pick and choose.
Scribe,

Exactly! So when Christians state that Catholics are not Christian they simply are mistaken because we as human beings have no way to see what is in another's heart! Only God knows for sure who is and who is not a follower of His Son, Jesus the Christ.

Thanks!

Sharon.
Sharon, I do not believe that you will find either of the following on any post I have made:
1. bashing of any organization or Christian religious order. (I do argue theology, which is different)
2. promotion of my (or any) church, denomenation, sect.

I focus on truth revealed in scripture; that is to say - Holy Scripture - not the opinions of any group.

Now, you started this conversation with copy/paste of a questionnaire from a Roman Catholic apoligist site containing a mixture of Biblical, non-bilbical and Catholic traditions - and then proceeded to sort of pick a fight.

So far, most of what I see here is folks trying to lead you away from that position; that is away from the idea of picking a fight about Rome. I think that if you were to drop the whole issue of "being catholic" and focus on being a Christian, that is being a Christ follower - rather than being a Rome follower, and let the chips fall where they may, you would find a whole lot less controversy.

Let's take the view from this angle: what if I went to a forum specifically designed and focused for Roman Catholics and then spent all of my time trying to promote my church or promote a historical Reformed Church perspective? Would that make sense? Wouldn't you see that as picking a fight with the catholics? What if some of the catholics then chose to argue and defend against my opinionated stance. Would I be right in accusing the catholics of being hostile?

If you want to argue as an apologist for the Vatican on a site that is clearly not Roman Catholic; you are in fact picking a fight with people who disagree with you. It would be no different than if the Mormons showed up for Mass at a local cathedral, with a tract on the flaws and failings of Rome.

It's not to say that you're not welcome, but rather that your insistance of focusing on Roman Catholicism can be an agitation that is completely off track of the purpose of this site.

Wouldn't it be more profitable to "look to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith?" rather than to try to muddle things up with a focus on an institution that has been challenged by Christians throughout the world for more than half a century?

It is, and has been for about 500 years, the opinion of many Bible-believing Christians that to strictly follow Roman Catholic teachings is to deny the Gospel of Jesus in it's simplest form. In fact, the Vatican itself has so stated that following the Bible in it's simplest form is inadequate for salvation. [I'll spare you the references to Trent, etc].

So, by coming out to a site heavily populated with Christians who have clearly and thoughtfully rejected Roman traditions and then focusing on Roman issues kind of makes you a target for their opinions. I would expect the same if I went to Notre Dame and challenged the Rector to a debate in front of his students.

I mean, I'm just saying... it's kind of like wearing a white hood at a Kwanzaa festival, you know?? The same guy could show up wearing a shirt with a Jamaican flag and not upset people so much. You know what I mean?
Sharon? why do you spend more time on your religious beliefs more over than the gospel of Jesus Lord and Savior? There are so many here who are babtist and pentecostal and methedist, assemblies of god ect ect ect. Thank God they too arent spending most of their time talking about their religious beliefs... Sure people disagree here but why you posting so many more forums about your same subject""" catholicism?/? Why is it so important to you to prove your belief" religion cathlic cathlic cathlic?????? Is it so important? Isnt Jesus more important to you? Can you not see that the " Word of God" is what needs to be the main subject for the christians to be teaching? I havent been reading here anymore .. i wouldnt have read it today but what can I say 'curriosty' got me again. Plus I noticed a few more of your forums with the same title. I hope you arent getting OBSESSED .
Alienated,

It's just this silly idea that we can come together as Christians in love and fellowship.

Sharon.
And christians cant come together in love and fellowship by talking more about Jesus?
Alienated,

Yes, we can! Good point.

Thank you!

Sharon.
Roman catechism

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2.htm

194 The Apostles' Creed is so called because it is rightly considered to be a faithful summary of the apostles' faith. It is the ancient baptismal symbol of the Church of Rome. Its great authority arises from this fact: it is "the Creed of the Roman Church, the See of Peter the first of the apostles, to which he brought the common faith".13
195 The Niceno-Constantinopolitan or Nicene Creed draws its great authority from the fact that it stems from the first two ecumenical Councils (in 325 and 381). It remains common to all the great Churches of both East and West to this day.
196 Our presentation of the faith will follow the Apostles' Creed, which constitutes, as it were, "the oldest Roman catechism". The presentation will be completed however by constant references to the Nicene Creed, which is often more explicit and more detailed.
197 As on the day of our Baptism, when our whole life was entrusted to the "standard of teaching",14 let us embrace the Creed of our life-giving faith. To say the Credo with faith is to enter into communion with God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and also with the whole Church which transmits the faith to us and in whose midst we believe:
This Creed is the spiritual seal, our heart's meditation and an ever-present guardian; it is, unquestionably, the treasure of our soul.15
3 Mt 28:19.
4 Roman Catechism I,1,3.
5 St. Irenaeus, Dem. ap. 100: SCh 62,170.
6 Roman Catechism I,1,4.
7 Cf. St. Ambrose, Expl. symb. 8.
8 Cf. DS 1-64.
9 Cf. DS 75-76.
10 Cf. DS 525-541; 800-802; 851-861; 1862-1870.
11 Cf. DS 71-72.
12 Paul VI, CPG (1968).
13 St. Ambrose, Expl. symb. 7: PL 17,1196.
14 Rom 6:17.
15 St. Ambrose, Expl. symb. 1:PL 17,1193.

As you can read up above, from the writings in the Vatican’s web page the catechism is for Roman Catholics and not for Christians out side the RCC.

Dear Sharon –

I have not responded in a while because I do not think we are getting anywhere with this discussions. You take the time to proclaim something as you did in your first response to Blankk, on the first page of this discussion, and then I rebottle that and show you with scripture where the discrepancy lies in the Roman Catholic's interpretation. However you do not respond to my rebottle and simply ignore it.

I have showed you with scripture over and over again how there is no scriptural backing to those RCC interpretations, but you don’t respond to them and chose to go on bringing other topics up. I would like you to examine the biblical reasoning I am sharing and get back to me to explain how I and other protestants have misunderstood those passages, so we can put each doctrine discuss to rest.

On my first response to you I showed how scripture debunks the need to confess our sins to a priest. No need for a priest to forgive my sins or for the teaching that the church has any power to forgive sins. You did not respond to that nor have you responded to many other similar cases.

Hence I believe you are not interested on learning, but teaching why you think the Roman Catholic Church is correct about their erroneous teaching. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. We should instead exchange until we conclude which interpretation is correct once we aligned the issue to scripture, if not we are really not doing anything worth our time.

We can both be wrong, but we cannot both be right. I have no problem saying in public I was wrong if I am shown with scripture that my interpretation is wrong or the interpretation that my denomination holds. However I do not think you would do that. I think from what I see that once one of the RCC’s teachings has clearly been debunked you ignore responding to the post.

I also posted where the Roman Catholic Church believes and teaches that the pope has equal authority to the word of God and never got your response on that. I mentioned how some statements in the rosary are offensive to God, by proclaiming God (the great I am) has a mother and got no response to that.

Roman Catholic doctrines fall extremely short (the ones we have touch on so far) of biblical backing, a part from church traditions. It is really easy to debunk them. I have not been more direct, because is not easy emotionally debunking a person’s belief system. I take no joy in doing it. I would have never started such a discussion, but I am bound to speak the truth.

You do however capitalize on the erroneous misconceptions other Christians have believed about the RCC and concentrate on those and in comments such as the comment you left me about Jack Chick. I have not taken the time to research some of the claims he states against the Vatican, because to me there are much more important issues. However not all the info he presented is bad (actually i am not sure if any of the info he presented is bad without researching it) and using some of the info he compiled to debunk some of the RCC’s doctrines is right on, so I use it.

You said: Go to the pages that Jack Chick quotes from and see how the word 'Church' on these pages is a reference to something much larger than the chuch within the Physical Stone Walls of any one church in the world.

The RCC disagrees with you. I can post videos, documents etc… but fear you will just ignore it. The Roman Catholic Church firmly believes to be the only true church and those outside of it are heresys and lost.

We had another discussion where you told me you would get back to me about the MEANING OF THE DOCTRINE OF INFANT BAPTISM. You never did. You admitted not to know much about it.

I am not trying to be mean to you, just explaining why I have lost interest in discussing this issue. You matter to me and I pray the evidence that has piled against the RCC’s teachings can have a positive influence in your doctrinal believes.

My Lord bless you.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service