All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I would like to start homeschooling my 3 year old son. I have been teaching him the basics, such as colors, numbers, shapes, words, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to teach a toddler about God and the Bible? He is quite active and doesn't like to sit down and listen for very long when I try to read to him!

Views: 96

Replies to This Discussion

Hello! I home school both of my boys, and neither one of them can sit still for any length of time. Many children learn better when their bodies are in motion (kinetic learners), or when information is presented in more original ways. One of the joys of homeschooling is being able to think outside that school-box! We've memorized Bible verses by making up movements to them (snapping, clapping, jumping at different parts of the verse). We really liked the memory Bible CD which we would just allow to play while the kids were playing... it presents a brief and simple Bible lesson, verse, and the verse put to music. I'll never forget one of my kids sitting in time-out for some offense, singing "to obey is better than a sacrifice..." The kids picked up the verses without really knowing they were memorizing them. If you can turn learning into a game, they are so much more receptive.
I have a very active 2 y.o. girl but she does settle down especially by bedtime. It's part of her routine to read The Beginners Bible with her Daddy. She can now tell us some of the events' sequence and names in the stories. My role is to sing her to sleep (I sing simple Sunday School songs like Jesus Loves Me), and I tell her who all loves her -- naming each family members, and ending with "but Jesus loves you best of all". We live by a state road and the noise of sirens bother her so I assure her it's okay, then we pray for people who might be getting a "boo-boo". She also loves singing and there's plenty of Christian children's song that are fun and active.

I am not a veteran homeschool mom although I've homeschooled for 10+ years. I don't consider myself a model of godly womanhood either. I am still struggling to be the wife and mom God wants me to be. But I do think that Deuteronomy 11, esp. verses 19-21 has ideas literal enough to run with.

When my first 2 were toddlers (my girls are 18, 17 and 2!), I wrote Bible verses in index cards and drew simple pictures in them like key words so they know what each verse is about. They were taped along the walls in their height and they'd run back and forth from end to end to review each verse everyday.

I hope these ideas are helpful. It's wonderful to know that you are already giving importance to teaching the Word to your young children. They're never too young to know about God.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service