All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Deuteronomy states: Deu 32:39 'Now see that I, [even] I, [am] He, And [there is] no God besides Me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; Nor [is there any] who can deliver from My hand.

So do you think this is meant in a literal sense, or in a tangible way: "I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal." Or, do you think the verse speaks about the health of a person's spirit, but uses terms that can apply to the flesh so people would better understand through correlation?

Also, this appears to be a message about what the Lord would say, translated through the mouth of Moses, not through the Lord's, His self. Do you think that makes a difference in how to perceive it's truth? And what does the last phrase mean to you: "Nor is there any who can deliver from my hand."

Views: 1805

Replies to This Discussion

I think it definitely comes from the Lord and is something He would say. I think like most everything in Scripture, passages are amazingly multi-dimensional and have various meanings within meanings. Not to mention the Bible Code theory (which I don't necessarily agree with), i believe this same phrase: "The Lord kills and makes alive" is used by Samuel in either the first or second Book of Samuel. I believe either Samuel or his mentor states: "The Lord is a Warrior. He kills and makes alive." I actually rejoice in the fact that He can on occasion go into Almighty Warrior Mode.
Thank you for responding, Timothy ;-)

I have to say that I do agree about scriptures haveing a multi-dimensional method. As for the Bible Code theory, can I ask why you don't necessarily agree with it? Just out of curiosity.
In love family -

Each verse in scripture only has one meaning if we keep the verse in context:
Ephesians 4
13until we all arrive at the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, at [the] full-grown man, at [the] measure of the stature of the fulness of the Christ;
Every single verse should mean the samething to all in the body. Now each verse has a multitude of applications and different verses do speak to some more than others, according to personal moral structures and experiences.

So yes, i agree with you and sister Ginny that scriptures has a multi-dimensional spectrum to it. As far as a Bible code theory I feel strongly againts it, but is not an issue i would divide over it of course.
haha....ok, so i agree that all verses in the bible have a definite meaning. Absolutely! (no room for separate interpretations) I meant what you said...that they can have many applications. cheers! :D
When The Trinity returns to Earth for Jesus Christ's Second Coming, we know it definitely won't be as a "lamb" but as a "lion". Few people in our modern times have experienced His Wrath, but when He's had enough of the world's continued degenerate penchant for rampaging Sins, He has to act because He's a God of Justice as well.
Yes, which brings me to consider how God interprets national wars. Many people campaign against governments declaring war with opposing nations because of the Lord's strong advocacy for peace. However, the Lord stood at the foundation of many biblical battles, and scriptures tell us to ward off evil coalitions. For example, we are lead to take a stance in defense of God's chosen people of Israel. These things press me to believe that God is not totally against decisions to enter into battles, but that He expects us to take up arms against evil-intended forces. What are your thoughts?
Yes Ginny,

God has always past judgement over nations by using other nations to humble them. And through wars the Gospel has been taken to distand lands.
I like the comment on my McArthur study bible:

Deuteronomy 32:39
After showing the worthlessness of false gods (v.v.37,38), this declaration of the nature of God was presented in contrast to show that the God of Israel is the living God, the only One who can offer help and portection to Israel. He has he power of life and death with regards to Israel (cf. 1 Sam. 2:6, 2 Kin. 5:7) and the power to wound and heal them. Is. 30:26; 57:17-18)
The God of Deut. 32:39 is seldom a God Christians want to embrace, but God reveals all over scripture that He is a sovereign God. One of His attributes is Wrath. It is a terrible thing, the writer of the book of Hebrews states, to fall in the wrath of a living God.

Our God is to be fear, He hates sin. He is Holy, Holy, Holy beyond our wildest imagination. Angels that have not known sin cover their faces and feet before the Holy one.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service