All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

What are the dangers of correcting an unbeliever, and does it really bring them into the family of God by doing this? Did Jesus Ever Condemn A Unbeliever? Lastly, what does the Bible say about how we are to approach an unbeliever?

Views: 1109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know.I have such a passion for young people and think they can teach us so much! I wish my heart could be like it was when I was young. Both physically and spiritually. Back then I didn't question so much. Maybe that's why Jesus said to come unto him as a little child (paraphrasing of course) Anyone feel free to put the right passage. That would be awesome!

~Winter

When paraphrasing we can err. We must be careful how we handle the word of truth for we can easily distort its message. Children ask many questions. It’s part of how they learn. As we grow older asking questions remains a big part of how we learn.

An answer from Billy Graham: http://www.billygraham.org/articlepage.asp?articleid=8304

What did Jesus mean when He said we have to become like a little child if we're going to follow Him? I'm a college professor and I don't like to think that I have to commit intellectual suicide if I become a Christian. — W.W.

Some of the most brilliant men and women the world has ever known were also followers of Christ, and it would be wrong for you to think you'd be committing intellectual suicide if you gave your life to Him!
In fact, the opposite would be the case, because when we come to Christ, God calls us to love Him with our whole being -- including our minds. Jesus summarized God's will for us with these words: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself'" (Luke 10:27). All authentic truth comes from God, and all eternity won't be enough for us to explore its full riches.

Jesus' words about our need to become like little children are important, however. (You can find them in Mark 10:15.) One of the main reasons people reject Jesus is pride; they believe they don't need Him and can make it through life on their own. But only when we renounce our pride and come to Him with the humility and trust of a child can we be saved.

Don't let your pride, or anything else, keep you from Christ. Instead, humble yourself before Him, and trust your life completely to Him. Then commit all you are and all you have into His hands, for He alone is "the way and the truth and the life" (John 14:6).

Amanda,

You are so right about paraphrasing. I fixed it.

~Winter

Matthew 18:3

and he said, "In solemn truth I tell you that unless you turn and become like little children, you will in no case be admitted into the Kingdom of the Heavens.

Amen. Children are so teachable. This Scripture applies to everyone and is a principle we can all benefit from knowing.

Winter, I just wish my body looked like it did at 18. I guess that would require exercise & that's not going to happen. 

As far as your question about what would Jesus do, in confronting sin and error, Jesus always spoke the truth. Jesus is truth. John 4:16-18 is an example of where He brought a woman face to face with her sin. He never condoned sin and he always urged obedience. There are many examples in Scripture. He was not so kind to the Scribes and Pharisees and even pronounced woes against them. Jesus was preaching repentance (Matthew 4:17).

Amanda,

This is one of my most favorite stories in scripture. I actually sing a song "Alabaster Box" that is so beautiful, and true.

I think this passage records Jesus love in such an awesome way, because not only did he speak to this woman about what he knew of her sin, but also speaking to her at all was a direct showing of love.  She was a Samaritan woman, and Jews and Samaritans never mingled socially. The reason for this was because the Samaritans intermingled marriages. This made them a higher class than the gentiles at that time, but a lower class to the full Jewish people. The question she posed made me stand to wonder if she was trying to get off the subject of her sin or if she really was genuinely wanting to know if her people were the ones right to worship on Mt. Gerizim or in Jerusalem as the Jews did. Either way I found it a great piece in the Bible. I also love the story of the "good Samaritan" because it truly shows neighborly love.

~Winter

I am enjoying our exchanges ... it's reminds me of iron sharpening iron.

I have always equated the alabaster box with Mary, the sister of Lazarus, not the woman at the well.

As for the story of the Good Samaritan -- it speaks volumes. I like this interpretation from gotquestions.org:

Jesus then tells the lawyer to “go and do likewise,” meaning that he should start living what the law tells him to do. By ending the encounter in this manner, Jesus is telling us to follow the Samaritan’s example in our own conduct; i.e., we are to show compassion and love for those we encounter in our everyday activities. We are to love others (vs. 27) regardless of their race or religion; the criterion is need. If they need and we have the supply, then we are to give generously and freely, without expectation of return. This is an impossible obligation for the lawyer, and for us. We cannot always keep the law because of our human condition; our heart and desires are mostly of self and selfishness. When left to our own, we do the wrong thing, failing to meet the law. We can hope that the lawyer saw this and came to the realization that there was nothing he could do to justify himself, that he needed a personal savior to atone for his lack of ability to save himself from his sins. Thus, the lessons of the Parable of the Good Samaritan are three-fold: (1) we are to set aside our prejudice and show love and compassion for others. (2) Our neighbor is anyone we encounter; we are all creatures of the creator and we are to love all of mankind as Jesus has taught. (3) Keeping the law in its entirety with the intent to save ourselves is an impossible task; we need a savior, and this is Jesus.
There is another possible way to interpret the Parable of the Good Samaritan, and that is as a metaphor. In this interpretation the injured man is all men in their fallen condition of sin. The robbers are Satan attacking man with the intent of destroying their relationship with God. The lawyer is mankind without the true understanding of God and His Word. The priest is religion in an apostate condition. The Levite is legalism that instills prejudice into the hearts of believers. The Samaritan is Jesus who provides the way to spiritual health. Although this interpretation teaches good lessons, and the parallels between Jesus and the Samaritan are striking, this understanding draws attention to Jesus that does not appear to be intended in the text. Therefore, we must conclude that the teaching of the Parable of the Good Samaritan is simply a lesson on what it means to love one’s neighbor.
http://www.gotquestions.org/parable-Good-Samaritan.html

Not many people love like the Good Samaritan. Jesus is an example of it -- the perfect example. Most people love with phileo love. There is storge love, agape love, and eros love as well. IMO no one knows how to love everyone. We are all works in progress, growing in knowledge and grace, seeking to be what God wants us to be and yearning to be whole.  We have this promise: "And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns" Philippians 1:6, NLT.

I am very thankful that God is merciful and longsuffering.

Amanda,

You are right about Mary. lol..I've been corrected before on this and it never took. Hopefully I will remember now:)

~Winter

That's OK. I am sure no one knows the cost of her oil either--the woman at the well.

Sometimes you feel like giving up … when it’s been a long, long journey … and you feel so frustrated that maybe you might even ask God to let you die. Who would do such a thing? Elijah did. I did.

I wish sometimes I could just go to sleep and then wake up and all the troubles will somehow have all disappeared. I will have joy. I will laugh. I will get ready for work. I will visit my old friends and go to church. I will be alive.

Elijah didn’t want to face tomorrow. I don't.

During trying times you can quit trying. I did. I stopped helping others and stopped being a blessing to them. I stopped responding to the Holy Spirit’s prompting in my life. I stopped climbing the mountain. It was insurmountable. I retreated into a cave of depression. I did keep searching for answers. It's all I've done though ... all I do.

Storms require active sailing in heavy weather, not passively riding it out.

You must avoid areas where the wind is blowing against the current. That means the waves are larger and more frequent.

You have to run with the wind but even then you aren’t always able to get out of the path of the storm and into safer waters.

You can be injured. The waves break over the stern, pushing you sideways and sometimes capsizing and sometimes you can’t get through the storm. You don't make it. Some people don't make it here ... but I see Jesus welcoming them with open arms on the other side and wiping away their tears.

Winter,

I sing that exact song. You're talking about the one by CeCe Winans right? I love that song. No one knows the cost of our oil.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service