All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

The Word of God (written or given Word) is a great blessing. We know that the gospel is the mechanism that God uses in harmony with the Holy Spirit to draw people unto salvation. According to Romans 10 they must hear the Word of Christ in order to be saved. The key is understanding the purpose of the Bible. We are blessed to have it, but Jesus is our goal and our Savior. I do not see the Bible and Jesus as equal. That does not diminish the Word of God. Both are good, but one is the Savior and the other is the tool used to guide us to Him and into a living relationship with Him.

Imagine for a minute. If you were faced with Jesus on your left and the written the Word of God on the right and your were given a choice to choose one, which would it be? Fortunately we do not have to choose, but we know that Jesus died for us, the Bible records it. Jesus' blood covers our sins, the Bible reveals it. Jesus is coming back to take us to be where He is, the Bible reveals this to us. One is a witness the other is the Savior. Here is another way of approaching this, I love Jesus and I greatly appreciate the Bible. One more approach, the Bible reveals Jesus and in some parts of the world people have heard the gospel and maybe a few more verses, they do not own a Bible as it may not even have been written in their language at this time, but many repent and come to Jesus because they heard the gospel. They have Jesus and yet only snippets of the written Word.

If every Bible you own was stolen and access to any other Bible denied would you be lost or still in a living relationship with Jesus? On the other side of the coin does owning a Bible assure one is saved?  

I close with this. The Bible and Jesus are both good. Thank God you  own a Bible, praise God that you are saved.

What's your take on this?

Views: 2077

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I went up for prayer on healing last night.  I was not well with my BP elevated.  And my foot was hurting from the shot.  After, I was speaking to Jim (a member of our church, loud shouter and praiser LOL Bless his heart), I was telling him why I was fanning so much as he'd left a fan on my seat while I was up for prayer...I was overheated from the BP.  So he lays hands on me and prays that my BP will be normal by the time I get home and he starts talking about believing that I'm already healed.  I told him that sounds to me like I'm lying because I'm NOT healed.  I'm sick.  I have medical problems.  I tried explaining how I believe God wants to heal me and I feel that in His timing, either through doctors or however, He will.  But Jim tried to talk me out of that belief.  I said that nothing can happen to us without God's allowing it, so He is allowing this, just as He allowed satan to afflict Job.  He tells me how Job was developing a wrong attitude though which is why God allowed that.  Well, umm, ok...I've HAD a wrong attitude.  I've gotten angry with God, I've been bitter, angry, hurting, selfish, uncompassionate, etc. etc.  So maybe God has allowed all this to help me to develop right attitudes.  But I didn't consider it at that time, I just wanted to shut down the conversation.  I told him he can't change how I feel on this cause I've tried and tried and it just doesn't set well with me.  But in prayer, I feel God just said next time, just nod your head and smile.  Don't even go there.  LOL

. WOF <---------- ?  That's a new one to me. If you don't mind ... what is that?

You are God's child and really, what else matters? You are the one He created this world for - this universe for that matter. You are the One He brought forth Israel for. You are the reason He gave us His Word. You are highly favored among all mankind. You are the very righteousness of a holy God. You are absolutely complete in Him. There is nothing lacking. You have been perfected by His blood.

Is this really in the bible, Roy? I wish I could see God this way.

Janie, WOF is Word of Faith...akin to Pentecostal (my own church).  One thing they believe is that you have to believe you already have something in order to receive it.  IE: Believe you're healed even if in severe pain, in order for God to ever heal you.  And to me that's like saying we have power over God.  I see that God asked the blind and the lame "Do you want to be healed" and they would say yes and He'd heal them.  NEVER did He tell them, then you have to believe you already are before I can help you.  This is one of many reasons I cannot believe in that concept.  There is nothing wrong with it IMO if that is what one has faith in, but it shouldn't be pushed to others as the only way to receive answered prayer.  Whatever is not of faith is sin.  Therefore, I choose not to sin by going around saying I'm healed when I feel I'm lying saying that and it won't be of faith.  ;-)

And yes, all of what Roy said is in many passages of the Bible.  I'm taking from various versions as some are more easily understood than other translations.

You are God's child:  ESV John 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God

You are the one He created this world for:  ESV Isaiah 45:18 For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (he is God!), who formed the earth and made it (he established it; he did not create it empty, he formed it to be inhabited!): “I am the Lord, and there is no other.

You are the reason He gave us His Word:  ESV 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness

You are highly favored among all mankind:  There are many passages of God calling those who relied on Him blessed and highly favored, Mary, Jacob, Noah, etc.  It was because they trusted in, relied on, and had faith in God that He called them this.

You are the very righteousness of a holy God:  ESV Romans 5:17 For if, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.

You are absolutely complete in Him:   KJV Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power

There is nothing lacking:  ESV James 1:Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

You have been perfected by His blood:  ESV Hebrews 10:14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

Wow! What we have here is a Bible scholar. Excellent, Char. If I remember, correctly, you missed one. What about Israel?

That's why I'm not a scholar.  I was out of time and it was taking too long to find a particular verse on that one.  LOL!  I'm just a Google officionado. 

Well, it is true. God's purpose through Abraham was to bless us. It is easy for us to get our eyes on a physical nation but God was looking forward to those who would be His children: you, me and all other believers:

Gal 3:6-9

6 Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." 7 Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. 8 The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." 9 So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith. 

Gal 3:13-14
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit. NIV

Awwwww (((((((JB)))))))))) <-------- cyber space friendly hug. Seems some are talking love junk yet throwing stones. IMHO

Thank you, Seek ye.....for taking time to find these verses for me.. If I read the word of God I should know. I will forget probably again soon.

Janie, print those verses, read them every day until it sinks in.  If you're prone to forget, like I am, you need to keep them written and easily locatable. 

Hello Roy, Brother, I think you know me better than anyone here on this forum, You have been in my house and I in yours, You have seen God working in our midst, in the Church we attended with the other two preachers, I won’t mention names. I don’t even know if you remember or not, but did we not see healings there? So I hope you don’t think of me as being a “WOF” in the context that you and others have so many times referred to as “WOF”. I am a Word of faith, but it is the faith of Jesus Christ, not my own. It is His faith that moves the mountains; my faith is only in Him to do it. I know I am not a “name it and claim it, or a blab it and grab it, nor am I a Spit it and get it.” type of faith exhorter, if there is such a thing. We walk by faith, do we not. But surely you have, on more than one occasion, heard me say that we can appropriate nothing through faith that God hasn’t already provided for. You said yourself that, “Quote” “I can only achieve what He has already achieved.” Too me it is the same thing, isn’t it?

By the way, why do so many think it is their faith that gets things done? The bible says in various places that it is the “faith of Jesus” unto all and upon all them that believe, for there is no difference.Ro.3:22, and,

Acts.3:16, says something like this, “and His name through faith in His name has made this man strong, whom you see and know, and the faith which is by Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presents of you all.”

And Gal.2:16, says something like this; “knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ,” even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the “faith of Jesus Christ” and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.”

So the wavering faith that you are referring to is our faith in Christ Jesus, whether or not He will do what we think He says He will do, because we don’t see it happening in the flesh, therefore it must not be His will. Though the Word says otherwise. The Word says, in Mark11:22 & 24, have faith in God, (the KJV margin says, have the faith of God). Therefore I say unto you, what things so ever you desire when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you shall have them.  The New Testament is His will for the New Creation believers. Not that we don’t have faith, because that is one of the attributes of the Spirit of God. I put this in here in response to someone that said they feel they are lying if they say they are healed, when they are hurting, but the bible says that is exactly what we are to do. This is where I think we have a wavering faith, when we don’t believe what the Word says.

We will all waver at times in our faith, I was born again when I was just a teenager, but like most of us, have wondered from our faith, and fall into diverse temptations, such as I did that was instrumental in bringing me back to the Lord. Did I ever have trials?? If you only knew. I set in my pick-up with the engine running, on the bank or cliff at the Lake here by us, and came so close to dropping it in gear and going over the edge. But God was still in my spirit and I just couldn’t do it. The loss of a worldwide business failure was so devastating financially that I didn’t think I could make it, and for some time I couldn’t see any other way out, but thank God He remains faithful. I don’t know if you knew about the other business I/we were in, but I will not go into that one, but God has delivered us from it all. So I wasn’t raised with a silver spoon in my mouth, but have suffered, maybe not as much as some have, but I don’t let those things get too me anymore, therefore I feel I can encourage others that are going through trials, not brought on by God to test their faith, I just can’t believe that; the devil does a pretty good job of that by himself, so I don’t think God needs to use the tools of the devil to teach us anything. But if they think that way, I can’t change their minds; all I can do is to give scripture showing there is more to this faith life than just being a doormat for the devil.

Sorry for the ranting, but I am not condemning anyone for their lack of faith, it is more of an ignorance we have of the Word and what God has provided for us who believe. My study of the Spirit, Soul and body has done wonders to increase my belief in God and His ways of working with His children. I still marvel at the intellectuals, trying to understand Spiritual things. 1Cor.2, tells us it can’t.

Must go for now, May God bless.

Your friend, “hopefully”

JB       

The Spirit leads us and guides us into all truth.  The Bible is the Word of God...truth.  If we don't have access to a Bible, the Spirit will still guide us to it, but having a Bible puts it at our fingertips, helps to get it into us moreso.  We're to renew our minds.  We cannot do that without the Word of God.  All scripture is profitable, God's Word is a lamp to our feet, man shall not live by bread alone but by every Word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.  We're told to meditate on the Word of God day and night. 

If we do not have a Bible, how are we to do any of that?

We first HEAR the Word of God and accept Christ, but if we don't have access to scripture, we can pray and try to obtain it so that we can meditate on it and learn.  We can't choose between Jesus and the Word...they're actually one and the same.  Word became flesh and dwelt among us.  Jesus IS the Word.  We choose Him and He will help us to get the Word into us via the Holy Spirit or get us a Bible. 

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service