All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

The Word of God (written or given Word) is a great blessing. We know that the gospel is the mechanism that God uses in harmony with the Holy Spirit to draw people unto salvation. According to Romans 10 they must hear the Word of Christ in order to be saved. The key is understanding the purpose of the Bible. We are blessed to have it, but Jesus is our goal and our Savior. I do not see the Bible and Jesus as equal. That does not diminish the Word of God. Both are good, but one is the Savior and the other is the tool used to guide us to Him and into a living relationship with Him.

Imagine for a minute. If you were faced with Jesus on your left and the written the Word of God on the right and your were given a choice to choose one, which would it be? Fortunately we do not have to choose, but we know that Jesus died for us, the Bible records it. Jesus' blood covers our sins, the Bible reveals it. Jesus is coming back to take us to be where He is, the Bible reveals this to us. One is a witness the other is the Savior. Here is another way of approaching this, I love Jesus and I greatly appreciate the Bible. One more approach, the Bible reveals Jesus and in some parts of the world people have heard the gospel and maybe a few more verses, they do not own a Bible as it may not even have been written in their language at this time, but many repent and come to Jesus because they heard the gospel. They have Jesus and yet only snippets of the written Word.

If every Bible you own was stolen and access to any other Bible denied would you be lost or still in a living relationship with Jesus? On the other side of the coin does owning a Bible assure one is saved?  

I close with this. The Bible and Jesus are both good. Thank God you  own a Bible, praise God that you are saved.

What's your take on this?

Views: 2077

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for clarifying what you mean. I believe there is a little more to this. There are weak Christians and there are strong Christians and the strong aren't more saved than the weak. Hell is a place for unbelievers but not for the weak who are genuinely saved. Also, there is a dilemma that some people have that involves not being able to understand true guilt from false guilt. Not all guilt we feel is true guilt. Some people carry a great burden of guilt and condemn themselves because of what has happened to them and hold themselves accountable -- when they were too young or were forced into something. The guilt they feel, however, is very real and painful, and it can be difficult to realize which guilt and for what thing they feel guilty about is true or false.

Your answer is not very comforting to me -- I'm sorry but that's how I feel, and, I know -- you frown upon feelings.

This is what separates the true believers from those who believe certain works must be attached before an individual is really saved. You have answered well. 

We all have baggage but some have much. I wish yours were not so great. You are definitely not knowing that does not make it less painful. Only Jesus can heal that pain. The healing will come as the sun comes across the horizon lighting the way for the pilgrim seeking new territory. You are growing in the knowledge of the One that has saved you from all your sin. It is a very beautiful picture as God places His great love upon your life. He is not missing a single episode but follows it all. He is there all the time - even in the darkest moments.

Roy,

God has sent a few to walk alongside me and communicate all forms of spiritual truth and you have been a great encourager to me. Thank you. I do have trouble when someone attempts to tell me that I'm not fully saved yet. I understand that being born again means God gives us a new heart and puts a new spirit in us (Ezekiel 36:26). I'm not becoming more and more righteous and holy. I have all of His righteousness and holiness and I live by the Spirit (He lives in me) but I'm called by Him to walk by the Spirit (Galatians 5:25) and to walk in His holiness and righteousness and follow the Spirit's leading. This is the sanctification process and is lifelong. This is my current understanding. I do need empowerment from God to live for God and I do need to surrender, allowing Him to live His life through me.

I am definitely having trouble discerning true from false guilt. I believe my struggles are no worse than any other's. I want to change. I think my biggest mistake is wanting to know the purpose of everything in my life and all my experiences. I have to fight the temptation to be closed and defensive. I fear failure. My confidence is low. Yes, I am weak, but I am a believer.

Amen. There are none that are more holy. Paul felt he was the worse but he wasn't. Can you imagine the guilt he suffered knowing he had been a part of murdering other believers. Only our Lord could take that guilt from him. He was made whole and was a great leader and teacher. He had many weaknesses but learned to boast of his weaknesses. I know you are not the Apostle Paul but you have much in common. I know you are not boasting of your weakness but it is through your weakness that Christ is glorified. Your life brings Him glory. For that, it is blessed.

Grace,

Regarding Boice's comments, much of which I agree, but there are two things I would point out.

1) But the Bible everywhere teaches that even miracles will not lead men and women to understand and receive God's truth unless they themselves are illuminated by the Bible (see Luke 16:31).

In order for the Bible to be understood it requires God enlightening the mind/soul (see Luke 24:45). This is the responsibility of the Holy Spirit today working in harmony with the written Word of God.

2)  I believe that we can state categorically that there is no knowledge apart from Jesus Christ and that there is no knowledge of Jesus Christ apart from a knowledge of the Bible. What New Testament did the Apostles take with them, especially Paul, as they went about sharing the gospel? We are blessed today to have the written Word of God and it is our foundation for belief (again working in harmony with the Holy Spirit).

Food for thought.

Lord Bless,

LT

Enjoy if you liked "Facing the Giants." "The Voice of Truth"

Loved the movie. A few lame actors but loved the movie.

Michelle,

Then you believe the Bible, the written Word, IS God and not God's given Word, but God Himself? The Bible records Satan speaking ... is that God? Not trying to be funny, but keep this in context. The Bible records a lot more than just God speaking. We have the history of Israel recorded, is this recording of Israel's history God Himself? When you pick up the Bible, are you holding God Himself or the written Word of God?

Remember, I believe it is God's infallible Word given for a purpose. The written Word's primary purpose is to reveal Jesus.

Lord Bless,

LT

Michelle,

The Living Word is God, the written (given) Word is His message that is designed to reveal and lead us to the Living Word. One is God and one is of God. Both are holy and without error for the written Word flows from the living Word.

We should hold the Holy Bible in highest regard, seek to live in alignment with God's teachings. The Bible is inspired and without error. Let me hold on that though for a moment. The Bible is God's inspired Word ... yes? Would you say that Jesus is the inspired Living Word? Food for thought.

Lastly, I do not want anyone to take a low view of Scripture. But, I think it is important to place it where it belongs and is dangerous to view it, as some do, as God Himself. 

Lord Bless,
LT

Michelle,

Yes. We need to be sure that we are looking for and finding Jesus, the God who is over the Bible.

Another way to put what I am saying:

Some have replaced Jesus with the Bible. We need the Bible, but what value is the Bible if all we have is the written Word and never find in the written Word the Living Word of whom the Word is designed to reveal? The Bible is not meant to replace Jesus, but reveal Jesus.

Lord Bless,
LT

To answer the direct question, I'd take Jesus over the Bible every day of the week. My faith is not in the Bible, or based on the Bible, nor am I called to follow the Bible. Doesn't mean I don't take it seriously

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service