All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

This question came up in my reading of Psalms, where in 51:11, David says:  Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.

So I looked up information on this:

John 7:39
    The Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.

Acts 1:16
    ... which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake....

Luke 1:15, 41, 67
    He [John the Baptist] shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. (v.15)

Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost. (v.41)

Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost. (v.67)

Now there's a whole lot more in both new and old, but this gives an idea of what I'm questioning.

So I thought, perhaps the Holy Spirit was there, but the "infilling" was what happened in the N.T.  But then I go back to John 7:39. 

I can't seem to find enough online to explain this and was wondering if anyone had any insight into what this might mean.

Views: 1521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seek 

I know you have read these verses before.9 But He said to me, “My Grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may reside in me. 10 So I take pleasure in weaknesses, insults, catastrophes, persecutions, and in pressures, because of Christ.l For when I am weak, then I am strong.  Cor 12:9-10 You also know my situation, what I go through.  I want to share with you what I have learned. These thoughts, like " I see them as failure," are not failures, they are attacks.  Or put in another way they are opportunities to yield to His Love for you.  His Love is beyond question. This of itself is difficult for us understand, the thing is we just need to believe His Grace Is Sufficient!  Will the attacks stop?  At some point they might in this area.  When these bouts come or beckon is a better word.  Instead of, your focus being on them, or you answering their call.  Go to His Grace, His Love, His Joy, you get my point.  You are stronger than you know.  These thoughts are a choice, we give them power.  I know make no mistake even by sharing this I go out on a limb.  Maybe I offend you or another; maybe I will  experience a set back with my pain.  No matter either way, His Word is still True.  His Grace is Sufficient for us.  Let me also say the physical pain I feel, is the same as the "prolonged sadness and grief and depression."  I also deal with that.  I trust you know my heart, I do not judge you or anyone who goes through these times.  The skinny is this, we need to trust in Jesus and The Word.  We have The Spirit and Jesus inside of us, so we have True Power "through Them" not of our own.  We have these times or events that do attack us.  Instead of seeing them as attacks, in these and other verses we can see them as, invitations to yield to His Word.  We think we must just buck-up, be tougher, etc..  Some verses say, "So I take pleasure in weaknesses," " I delight in weaknesses," "I am pleased with suffering," the one I like the most is, " I am content with weaknesses," this is what I am striving for in my situation.  

Char if The Word is True about Salvation which is our Hope.  As we grow and mature in The Lord this is the way.  Stepping out and Trusting more in The Lord, is the very thing you have been doing.  This is no different.  You are prepared for what comes your way.  Again, you are Stronger far more than you think.  His Grace rest on and more important inside of you.  As I look at all I have written, I see I do not need to add anymore.  

When these bouts come or beckon is a better word.  Instead of, your focus being on them, or you answering their call. 

I don't focus on them.  I try to shut them out, ignore them.  But I cringe just at getting the thoughts.  Sometimes they make me feel so dirty and cheap inside, wanting to wish them away, begging God to shut out those thoughts.  He says to ignore them, but I'm unable to figure out how to do that successfully when they irritate me to get them.  It's thoughts I simply don't want to have, even for a split second.  They're not good thoughts and I don't like them and don't want them to cross my mind. 

Seek,

I get thoughts like this too.  I believe everyone does.

We are told to bring our thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ.  To 'ignore' them I think would possibly be ineffective as it would only push them down, but not let God deal with them.  God can break those chains.  satan may not stop attacking.  Scripture tells us to resist the enemy and he will flee.  I think of a mosquito buzzing around my head... I always swat at them.  To me, to resist the enemy (and swat at these thoughts)  is to speak God's word confident in my new identity as God's child.

Prior to receiving Jesus as Saviour and Lord, those thoughts may be something you might act on... But now you have a new legacy.

I think we really need to get to the point that we truly know what our new legacy is and who we belong to and who we are.

I'm so grateful for the Lord, and His gift of salvation and freedom.

satan would have us believe that these thoughts are our legacy perhaps (usually) because of what happened in our lives in the past.  satan would have you believe that this is all this life has for you.  But that's a lie, satan is a liar....  he's a pesky mosquito who will try to pull life giving blood from us.  Swat at him with scripture knowing who you are.

Here's a song by one of my favourite singers, Matthew West.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxgmaMY2vGo

and another one by Sanctus Real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwFrwm1-lwI

Seek I was about to share with you that we are not responsible for thoughts that come our way.  Much like flies or  mosquitoes that come our way, if we leave them alone they will bite and invite more.  Yet, Carla has shared much of the same in a better fashion.  So I will say Amen to Carla, and to you Seek, never forget you are Loved and Prayed for each and everyday.

One part of me says I know I'm not responsible for the thought as long as I'm not dwelling on it or entertaining it, and the other part is inwardly cringing and feeling that "dirty" feeling just for having had it and the two go at each other like a couple cats in a catfight leaving me feeling sorta irritated.

Seek..  Think of it like a mosquito in a tent while you are trying to sleep.  Did you invite that mosquito in?  Certainly not!  it forced it's way in uninvited.

Yes but, that mosquito also irritates me and disturbs my sleep.  LOL

Sorry Carla, I will say too that, many of the thoughts are the ones I used to always act on, words I used to use frequently.  But they never bothered me to use them or think them.  In fact, I never even thought them before, they came out of my mouth without even thinking.  Now when they come to thought, I don't say them, but I don't even like the thought of them.

Therefore, I often wonder, is that truly satan attacking, or is it the programming of our minds that spent so many years with these thoughts unhindered that hasn't been completely renewed to think differently yet?

Seek,  If that's true, than the encouraging part is that your mind is being renewed because these thoughts do now bother you.  That's a step forward don't you think.

They bothered me from the day I got saved, and while it is encouraging, it also can be somewhat "maddening" for lack of a better word...if that makes any sense?  I mean....If you cannot stand a dirty car, and yet in order to enter and exit your home, you must drive through an extremely dirty road and you know it will get dirty and short of moving, which you're not able to do at this time, you MUST get it dirty.  Now you know you have no other choice and there is nothing you can do about it, but it's kind of an OCD thing.  It's going to irritate you to no end just coming and going home even though you know you have to and you know you can wash the car again and again and still will have to deal with that daily dirt trek.

Does that make sense?

Chris..........

Good word, Bro.

Grace and Peace.

Ditto.  It's a blessing to see Chris' posts in the Forum.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service