All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

What is love?

It is one of the most difficult questions for the mankind. Centuries have passed by, relationships have bloomed and so has love. But no one can give the proper definition of love. To some Love is friendship set on fire for others Maybe love is like luck. You have to go all the way to find it. No matter how you define it or feel it, love is the eternal truth in the history of mankind.  

What is Love?

Is the friends I have, thinks I own?
Be together, share your joy and sorrow, understand each other, provide space to each other, but always be there for each others need. And surely love will blossom to strengthen your relationship with your matter of affection.

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Grazer,

God is love. Is He an emotion or is there something much deeper and greater? Is the love refered to in the Bible a verb at its core or is it really a noun that is leads to action or emotions?

Food for thought.

Lord Bless,
LT
TheNET Coordinator
Grazer,

Both exists, but only one can be dominate. Which dictates to the other? Do we love because there is a chemical reaction or is there a chemical reaction caused because we love?

When man's body dies and His spirit lives on, which part of Him is experiencing the chemical reaction you speak of?

Lord Bless,
LT
TheNET Coordinator
Grazer,

Which is dominate? The spirit or the flesh? Does the flesh direct the spirit or does the spirit animate the flesh? Can the flesh exist without the spirit? Can one explain how the mind, an organ, has awareness of life, thought and conscience if not by the spirit of man within? How does one take every though captive if it is simply a chemical reaction?

Love (agape) is a state-of-being, not simply a feeling or reaction. It is part of who we are in Christ. From this state-of-being our outward actions will be determined.

Lord Bless,
LT
TheNET Coordinator
Love is a fruit of the Spirit, not the brain, As an apple is the fruit of a tree, the apple tree does not have to strain to produce an apple.
That is how it should be with Christians, that is just our nature and not something we have to wait for an emotional prodding to get it activated.
Remember? the dog wags his tail because he is a dog. he is not a dog because he wags his tail. The devil lies because he is a liar. Christians love because they are Christ…like and have the nature of God. As is the fruit of righteousness is sown in pace of them that make peace. Ja.3:18
Joe
Hey Grazer,

Your reponse: "Love is a chemical reaction in the brain, much like all emotions. What matters is how strong that reaction is and what triggers it." doesn't line up with scripture. You seem to be saying that love is simply an emotion. This may be true for those who are young in their faith or don't know the Lord.. but as we mature, learn and grow, our understanding grows and matures with our faith and knowledge of God's Will for us and for others.

What about when Jesus died for us?... If it was simply an emotion why did HE do it? In spite of the emotional turmoil Jesus was enduring due to many things going on---Jesus chose to follow through--He acted on our behalf.

Scripture says this:

Jhn 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
Jhn 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

How did Jesus show His love for us?

He laid His life down... He calls us to do the same for Him and for others. Therefore, Love is an action word. Love means to put one's 'self' aside, and put God first--this will result in putting others before ourselves.. The result of this will be good works for God's Glory and for His purposes. It has very little to do with emotion. Emotions have everything to do with feelings. How often do you 'feel' like putting yourself aside and living for others? I cringe at the thought of all the times in my life I have reacted purely due to my emotions..Thank God HE has shown us another way..a better way. Thank God HE is not finished with any of us yet.

Mar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment. This goes far beyond our emotions. There is alot more to say about this, but I want to hear your response first.

~C
Grazer,

Then how do you make sense of this:
God is Love!
Grazer, once he establishes that love is purely an emotion with you... it would be very difficult for you to then get across that God is love.. If Love is an Emotion, and God is Love...then that would mean that God exists only in our emotions.. This cannot be. What say you? :-)

Blessings, Carla
Grazer, perhaps consider a new starting point. :-)
LB,

Once again a good solid word - I am blessed at reading.
Love -

1 Cor. 13 tells us what love is by telling us what it is and what is not. Love produces a chemical reaction in us as my boy Grazer has stated, but that reaction is a consequence of love which is dominated by the Spirit person. I enjoyed how you go about analyzing stuff Graze. All honest science backs up the word of God. Philosophy, psychology, archeology, quantum physics, biology (DNA encoding) etc... Back up the word of God. His finger print is everywhere.

I believe the sprit person will also have a body, but a different type of body (The word does not speak of that body, so we know nothing of it and I could be wrong with my assumption), we know when the spirit is reunited with the resurrected body we will then have a glorified body. But any and all different states the Spirit person dominates everything else. So love produces a chemical reaction, but the chemical reaction is produce by and emotion which is known as the most powerful force on earth, Love.

Love is the most effective weapon. God has me in love with Him because He loves me so well. The fear of the Lord is a powerful thing to obtain, but even when I understand that God will correct me and that correction may even include taking me out of this life, I have chosen to do my thing in the past. The fear of the Lord has kept me many times, but the love of God has kept me and sustained me. He has beat me up (self and the love of this life) with His love. I have learned that love never fails even when to the untrained/unspiritual eye it appears that it has.

If you love someone and they do not love you back you have the beauty of knowing that you love them as the Lord commands. If someone is mean to you at work and you keep loving them, you will be healthier and be able sleep soundly if you have done your part and that is to love them. Love is truly freeing. When we love we are healthier people all around, in everyway possible.

As we mature and become Christ like we can live out the 1 Cor. 13 type of love. As humans we struggle with 100 % consistency, but we can reach levels of maturity in Christ when the old person is completely dead in us. Or rather is dormant, waiting for us not to abide in Christ, in His word, to resurface.

We want the biblical opinion above all else, the word is our final authority and all else can complement our biblical understanding, but we also look at statements such as "Love is a chemical reaction" and break them down with logic and by reasoning with each other as brother LT has done with my boy Grazer.

Love to you family and keep loving - Love never fails.
Amen, I agree.
Joe
JN 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

RO 5:6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Lord Bless,
LT
TheNET Coordiantor

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service