All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Where is Christianity going?

Views: 405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When the Holy Spirit takes over a person, regardless of culture, ethnicity, age or gender. The Holy Spirit will work uniformity in the body.

God has created diversity because obviously He thinks it's great to have a rainbow of cultures and styles. Our style of music, cloth, speech may differ from culture to culture, but the God has a way of bringing all those styles into a uniform Spirit way. I am sure I am not explaining myself correctly and maybe not even using the correct words, but it's a bit difficult to explain, but I will try.

Regardless of who or where you are in the world ... There is one body, and one Spirit, even as you are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. Ephesians 4:4-5

This one Spirit, one Lord will cause every single believer to come into uniformity of worship and behavior. We will want to worship in Spirit and in truth, but also give our best to our King.

I am not sure if I have gotten my thoughts about the subject accross successfully here, but I agree with Ron that when I go to the house of the lord I try to look my best for the king, internally and externally.

I know the African will worship different than the Salvadorian, but in that difference of style a uniformity remains, the lyrics are God honoring and the music is such that is pleasing to the Spirit man.
Does this verse apply to women only? What about the men? One thing we for sure know: the best dressed people in Israel were the priests and teachers of the Law.

1 Pe 3:3-5
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. NIV

Also:

1 Ti 2:8-10

8 I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.

9 I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. NIV

I still contend the outside is not nearly as important as the inside my good brother David. A fancy suit, starched shirts and silk tie may not be necessary for going to church. I think the attire needs to be modest, conservative - not bringing much attention to the outward.

Roy
Ohhh we are in agreement Roy. I just enjoy wearing suits. :) In no way am I saying the uniformity the Spirit will guide us to will be all of us wearing suits.

But all of us will want to do the best we can spiritually mainly for our Lord. We will also be aware that our outer appearance speaks of who we are interiorly.
It would be a joy to get to go to church with you sometime. It would be great to travel to S Africa and go to church with Ron. I guess I will have to wait on heaven for all that business.
God looks at the inner self, not so much on the outer person. Why is there all this emphasis on the outside? What am I missing?

1 Sa 16:7
7 But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." NIV

Mt 23:26
Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean. NIV

Ro 2:28-29
28 A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29 No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God. NIV

Ro 7:22-23
22 For in my inner being I delight in God's law; NIV

Ps 149:4
4 For the Lord takes delight in his people;
he crowns the humble with salvation. NIV

Lk 16:15
15 He said to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight. NIV

I say concentrate on the inside and the outside will take care of itself. You should not judge a person who comes into your assembly by what they are wearing. You know where I am going here.

Jas 2:2-4
2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? NIV

Will your fine clothes make the poor man feel uncomfortable? I do think some of the emphasis among some out there in the church world to make clothing less of an issue in church are doing it for the right reasons. However, Brother Ron, you are talking to a man advanced in age and I have never heard of the hipster generation. They may be very well be very wrong. I don't know that I have ever seen one. Where do you see these people? I guess I wouldn't know one if I saw one.

I do like the more casual clothing that some churches are emphasizing and it's not because I am lazy and don't want to dress up. I just believe the emphasis should be upon the inner self and not the outer self. Save your suits for the weddings and funerals, O yes and for visiting the queen. I really don't think you will be offending God at all.

However, this is just my opinion.

Roy
Amen Roy,
We are in agreement on the outward apparel, and appearance.
To feel obligated to wear certain apparel, becomes more legalistic, religious and sacrificial than in obedience.
I like what ”Psalms 51:16-17 says “Thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering” The sacrifices of God are a broken Spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God thou wilt not despise.
Joe
OK Guys,
I'm convinced..... This Sunday I go in my Swimming costume, Dark glasses and Towel. The Sun cream lotion will be tucked in the belt of my Swimming costume., slip slops for my feet hanging around my neck.

In Church I will stand up and say: "HEY! Look at all you dudes with clothes on, trying to impress the visitors"

Obviously my Pastor being a Godly man, will say nothing....... "Duh!"

When God asks the Holy Spirit: "What did you do?" The Spirit's reply will be: "I just smiled Daddyo."

Now that's Hipster Christianity, and it all started in 1938 when grandad decided not to wear a tie to church the one Sunday.

"Flowers anyone?"

Ron
Ron,

If I wore my swimsuit outfit everyone would be laughing so much they would have to dismiss the service. I would like to be there to see that. Man, when do we get those new glorified bodies?

Roy
Ron,

I think there is something new going on around here in America. I noticed the guy Worley on the main page of AAG. He is preaching to his congregation in blue jeans and casual shirt. As the camera scans the crowd, one notices that the people don't dress like we used to in our church world. I am like you in the sense that if it is the same old 50 or 60 people every Sunday with nothing happening, I am looking for something new. Worley really seems to have the goods here. As I look around on the world of YouTube everything seems different in the services. I want that fresh anointing of the Holy Spirit. My Bible tells me it is new every morning. If I have to go inside a worship service with people in jeans, I am willing to do that. I have noticed some seem to be dressed inappropriately. I guess I am more concerned about what is on the inside than what is on the outside. If these people really love the Lord I can feel at home. However, I have also been in some services where people in stiff collars were really in love with Christ as well. I guess the clothes are not all that important. How do we get back to that place where they were all in one accord? Is that still possible with all of our differing denominations and absolute certainty of our knowledge of Scripture?

As usual there will be some things that aren't right. There will be those who desire to profit from a move of God. But I think of John Wesley. He was banned from the churches of his day. He had to go out into the fields to preach. I pray I never get to the place I would get rid of a guy that was as anointed as that guy.

Just some thoughts.

Roy
Hi Roy,

I am sure that you know that burning coals, left to themselves soon die. But when stirred certaiunly give off more heat.

I am not the guy I represent here at times on AAG. Many times I simply play "Devil's Advocate" in order to stir the discussion pot and get people thinking. This often brings out some good and intelligent answers. Also if simply left alone, what could have been hot burning embers to warm ourselves, it simply dies out from lack of participation.

Yes, I do go to church with a tie on but with Jeans rather than a suit. I have no qualms in going in open neck shirt. Why should I ? The lord has seen me naked.

Sadly my problem is not with the dress, but what is going on in the Church today.

Despite the TV evangelist's reaching millions of people, there are some popular ones, who
YES! do touch millions, but will have a lot to explain why one tell his listeners, that God has just told him, that those who deposit a thousand bucks in the ATM's at the back, within the next 15 minutes, will be millionaires come the following day.

People rushing to the back to make their deposit, gives me, as we say here in S. AFrica: "The horrors."

Otherwise I am just a meek and mild old Firehorse on pension, happily sharing the twilight hours with my Bride stirring the pot.
Love to your Missus
Ron
Ron,

And you're doing a very good job of it. Keep up the good work. I look for your forums. They usually become very interesting.

Roy
Hi Wicus,

So your the guy I can blame for my hearing aids! A Drummer hey!

I get your point... It's what you said about those "Old ladies that excites me. Old ladies getting into
Swim suits... WOW!

Those gals are certainly with it. Here in Sunny South Africa an old lady wouldn't be seen dead in a Bathing costume.
In a moment of madness I might consider doing the same, but my varicose veins and dropped chest makes me think twice.

But relax my brother... Read my last reply to "Old Man" Roy and welcome to the group here on AAG. Feel free to participate with comments and thoughts. There are lovely Christians here, even the Moderators are nice sometimes.

The Lord Bless you
Ron.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service