All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

A little levity - When the Supreme Court kicked God our of our schools, maybe we all should have got up and left with Him. We didn't and ever since we have been guilty of giving our children a godless education. Could that have anything to do with what we are seeing today?

Views: 2436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Roy,

So, are you saying that God did not bring Hurricane Sandy?

It was my understanding especially of late that nothing happens that doesn't go before the throne of God first.  David has used the example of Job in explaining to me....that Satan could only do to Job what God permitted...I may be off in my interpreting but I don't see why it would be any different for the events now...

Hi Deserey,

How is that boy doing? He reminds me so much of my grandson which I never get to see.

Anyway, not it is my position that God DID send the hurricane. The Scripture I gave was Is 45:7.

Isa 45:7
I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the Lord, do all these things. NIV

Hello =)  Danny is a very busy boy...keeps me chasing after him but he is such a blessing.  A very sweet boy. 

So let me see if I am understanding right...you feel God caused the hurricane and not just permitted it to happen? 

Yes, I do believe He brought the hurricane. Kings, weather related events, etc. are just pawns in the hands of God. We might even see some sun activity that will bring destruction. Yet, we are all safe in His hands. He has no problem in His Word accepting responsibility for all of these things. One time He caused a flood that killed every man, woman, boy, girl and babies on this earth. Another time He destroyed a city for that lack of action dealing with homosexuality. He brought destruction through Titus to the Temple and city of Jerusalem.

Actually, He did save eight through the flood.

Isa 45:7
I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the Lord, do all these things. NIV

Do we really have a choice?

Deut.30:19

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Joe

Amen.

I agree that sometimes it sounds a little gloomy. He does dish out judgment on those who persist in disobedience.

Jer 13:14-17
4 I will smash them one against the other, fathers and sons alike, declares the Lord. I will allow no pity or mercy or compassion to keep me from destroying them.'"

15 Hear and pay attention,
do not be arrogant,
for the Lord has spoken.
16 Give glory to the Lord your God
before he brings the darkness,
before your feet stumble
on the darkening hills.
You hope for light,
but he will turn it to thick darkness
and change it to deep gloom.
17 But if you do not listen,
I will weep in secret
because of your pride;
my eyes will weep bitterly,
overflowing with tears,
because the Lord's flock will be taken captive. NIV

I often think of Corrie ten Boom but don't really like to. She was a beautiful Christian caught in a very evil world. God was bringing judgment on His people and the ten Boom family suffered as a result even though they were a wonderful Christian family. Her father died as well as did her sister, yet she continued in the faith.

God says that He weeps when He brings judgment on His people. I believe He does but He loves us too much to leave us where we are. I do not want darkness to come but it is coming nevertheless. Darkness is coming upon our land simply because we are becoming so disobedient. There are Christians that will suffer but God will bring them through with shining colors.

Not too long ago, I wept and told God to do whatever He needed to do. We cannot stay where we are. I ask His protection upon my family. I love my family and cannot stand to think of them suffering.

I pray we will turn around. We have become very worldly.

Amen Roy
No matter how we see any of this, we are given these instructions. 1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all He has done for you. Let them be a Living and Holy Sacrifice—the kind He will find acceptable. This is truly the way to Worship Him. 2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect Rom 12:1-2 21 Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the Truth that comes from Him, 22 throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception 23 Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 24 Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly Righteous and Holy. Eph 4:21-24 Let it be that we understand what has taken place when we accept Jesus and Lord and Savior. That we learn what it means," let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think." Let us all submit to His Love and His Will. We can cut to the chase and simply be His children and be obedient to His Will and Way.

amen.

If you are believing that God caused the hurricane, what does living in the Age of Grace (unmerited favor)mean?

Blessings.....

Rita

Hello Rita,

...living in the Age of Grace (unmerited favor) means that is not by works, human will, the flesh that we are saved, but by completeley, fully and only by the Grace of God.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, Ephesians 2:8

John 4:10 Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

Acts 15:11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are."

Romans 3:24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 9:16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

Ephesians 2:5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved.

1 Peter 1:5 who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1;13

Blessings sis

Rita,

This is a great question and I wonder if we really do understand what the age of grace means. My understanding, which could be way wrong, is that it means we are no longer required to keep the ceremonial laws and yet the moral law is always in effect but we are not condemned by it since we have a Savior who overcame for us. This does not mean in any way that our sins no longer have consequences. Was grace absent in the OT? 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord (Genesis 6, KJV).

What does James mean when he says that God resists the proud but gives grace unto the humble (James 4:6)? Logically, if grace is always unmerited then the proud would get it, too, not just the humble. 6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble (KJV).

Evidently, living in the age of grace has a specific application and I am wondering if it ever means that God's grace somehow releases us from the responsibilities and the consequences of our sins in this life, whether saved or unsaved.

I was reading Psalm 107 today and thought about Roy and his discussion here and Hurricane Sandy. I thought about the very common saying of people that we put God in a box (not saying you are putting God in a box -- please don't think I am saying that) and I just thought I have allowed my own self to put God in a box in many ways just by believing many of the things I have been taught about God -- it seems almost every teaching wants to limit God's power or sovereignty or dominion over the earth and over his creation in some way or another in order to make it "sit better" with our limited human understanding.

23 Some went out on the sea in ships;
they were merchants on the mighty waters.
24 They saw the works of the Lord,
his wonderful deeds in the deep.
25 For he spoke and stirred up a tempest
that lifted high the waves.
26 They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths;
in their peril their courage melted away.
27 They reeled and staggered like drunkards;
they were at their wits’ end.
28 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
and he brought them out of their distress.
29 He stilled the storm to a whisper;
the waves of the sea[b] were hushed.
30 They were glad when it grew calm,
and he guided them to their desired haven.
31 Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love
and his wonderful deeds for mankind.
32 Let them exalt him in the assembly of the people
and praise him in the council of the elders.

33 He turned rivers into a desert,
flowing springs into thirsty ground,
34 and fruitful land into a salt waste,
because of the wickedness of those who lived there.
35 He turned the desert into pools of water
and the parched ground into flowing springs;
36 there he brought the hungry to live,
and they founded a city where they could settle.
37 They sowed fields and planted vineyards
that yielded a fruitful harvest;
38 he blessed them, and their numbers greatly increased,
and he did not let their herds diminish.

39 Then their numbers decreased, and they were humbled
by oppression, calamity and sorrow;
40 he who pours contempt on nobles
made them wander in a trackless waste.
41 But he lifted the needy out of their affliction
and increased their families like flocks.
42 The upright see and rejoice,
but all the wicked shut their mouths.

43 Let the one who is wise heed these things
and ponder the loving deeds of the Lord. (NIV)

I ask is there any reason why we should think that God has changed the way God deals with His creation today? What does it mean to be in the age of grace? I'd like to know, too.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service