All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

This is taken from another discussion. What are your views on the Creation? 6 days? Earth is a billion years old?

Views: 1148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think LT would agree with me on this: we must seek God's view point.

Yes, I do agree.

I was making a point for conjecture, not accusing. Making a point of principle. I don't know you well enough to do otherwise, friend.

I'm not very frequent here anymore, but hold an attitude of being very open and receptive to everyone. I only contend when I see someone being outright contentious against plain scriptural truth. 

I see that you are seeking. Some are happy to accept the statements of Genesis and not investigate one step further. Others are confounded and choose to ignore the topic. Still others are going to ridicule Genesis. And a final category of others try to investigate and see where the truth is that may evade us. I tend to be in both 1st and 4th. I accept the statements, but want to investigate and try to understand where there is apparent discrepency - try to find where it can be reconciled.

I think you are in the 4th camp as well. The one thing I try to remind others like myself is which view point to hold first; God's vs Man's. I remind myself that and I remind the most erudite scholars the same. So, please do not take it as an affront. 

Eric,

Before you get all excited about Ross' mention of evening and morning relaying a different meaning than a day, let me share an explanation with you. It does appear that you do not understand the meaning of evening and morning in this context as you are running with something not normally used in English thinking this gives the license to reinterpret these verses.

The Hebrew people would have easily understood this vernacular. The reckoning of the day to the Hebrew was different than yours or mine. We reckon the day to begin in the morning (more specifically at midnight but not for me as I rarely see a midnight anymore). The Hebrew began their new day in the evening. The vernacular here simply marks the beginning of a new day. Even though the work would not begin until the morning, the terminology used here is definitely the terminology meaning a new day. It has nothing to do with good and evil. It is not at all "peculiar" (as you say) for God to use this vernacular. It is the way they would understand the beginning of a new day. 

There is no more artistic meaning in those words as in the word "day." To the Hebrew, it simply meant the beginning of a new day.

I should mention that in this context, it would mark the completion of a "full" day. The next day would begin with "And God said..."

I am wondering on something LT said to this.  I had often considered that a day is like a thousand to God to mean perhaps the days He made creation were longer than the days we know of as day.  But, if I'm reading LT right, that's not necessary as God doesn't exist in our time.  He can do all this in one of our days, yet it may seem that He took longer.  Or something to that effect.  LT will have to say if I got the gist of it or am way off.  This is what I took from what he said, but in Seek terms...simple.  LOL

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service