All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I just read a devotion that can be like a good smack upside the head:

It stated that religion is dangerous and would rather debate an issue than do something about it.  They said we shouldn't get you sidetracked into a religious debate or get all hung up on theological questions.  That the difference between religion and the love of God is that religion argues while love acts.

Views: 2037

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I don't recall saying anyone was evil. If I thought for a second that the man in the pulpit was teaching anything false, I couldn't overlook it because the rest of his sermon was nice. I'm not talking about something like wearing the color pink the next Sunday or wearing 6" heels instead of flats. These are things that are black and white and concise and clear cut. It's not about agreeing 100% with every word but it is about knowing the truth is being taught with a good Godly conscious. Men of God will mess up, they will blunder at times but there are many untruths taught out there which I prefer not to listen to just so I can pick up something else nice that they added to the false gospel. At the moment, I don't have a pastor per say but I'm sure I didn't agree 100% with every word my brother taught when I was in NC.  However, I know that man stays on his knees seeking the face of the Lord at all times & desiring to teach only truth whether it hurt feelings or not. I know he doesn't come up with his own conclusions or says anything so as to appeal to his listeners. If he messes up, he will be so humble as to ask forgiveness from those he's over & strive to be more prayerful the next time. When some take Scriptures, twist it to make it look like a pretty bow on a package, yes,  I have an issue with that. 

Well it's kinda like my other discussion "John 3:5". Is one false if they believe water baptism means being dunked in H2O and another doesn't?

When we know for certain a teaching is false, we tell them like Acqilla and Priscilla did. BUT it doesn't make everything they preach false.

Note: What Apollos was teaching wasn't false ... it was incomplete. 

Whether one teaches sprinkling with H2O or Immersing in H2O they both believe in baptism. When one professes that unless you are baptized you are still lost then you have crossed a line and entered into false teaching moving salvation from grace by faith to a work on your part that unless you do it you are not saved.

If one is off on a subject is one thing ... when a large portion of your core doctrine is off then you have a real problem.

Here is a list of things that a certain prominent group, that I will leave nameless, teaches and a group that has a large influence on many who claim to be Christian.

• You don't have a God in you. You are one!
  • Jesus left our atonement uncompleted on the cross.
  • Jesus was under Satan's control in hell.
  • Jesus died spiritually and had to be born again.
  • Anyone could have done what Jesus did for us.
  • God owes us prosperity.
  • God has to beg and plead for us.
  • God is scared and impotent.

That is a whole lot different than discussing sprinkling or immersion.

Next I would point out that maybe you can read things by various teachers whose core doctrine are at question feeling that you can sort the good from the bad ... but I can assure you that most Christians, especially newer ones cannot. If we post something by someone whose ministry is at best suspect we are introducing these newer Christians to this person teaching and in a sense endorsing them by our posting.

There was a prominent pastor who rejected the Trinity, but I am under the impression that has changed. While they openly reject the Trinity there is no way I would recommend any teaching by the individual ... even if other portions seem positive.

Lord Bless,

LT

I know of no one I've ever listened to teach any of those things you've listed yet several I listen to have been called false teachers. So I'm unclear as to this false teaching they are purportedly engaging in.

If anyone I knew was teaching these things you describe, I sincerely doubt I could find any value in any message they could give because they cannot be that far off and still be relevant.

Seek,

Rather than me pointing out certain ones who have taught these things I will simply ask you to research the teaching and beliefs of these people. The top 4 on the list above are held and taught by several you tend to listen to. Please, for your good I ask that you look into it and not dismiss it as another attempt to pin a false teacher label on someone.

Lord Bless,

LT

Where is it you do this research apart from listening to what the person is teaching? I've listened to numerous Joyce Myers conferences and have never heard her teach anything along these lines. I've seen people who make statements about others beliefs and use very short snippets as proof of their claims. But I always wonder why not the whole thing? I've seen others though who provide mountains of evidence. There's usually a difference of one seeking to expose truth and one seeking an agenda. When I've looked at claims before, I've found quite a few websites of people saying someone teaches a certain way but haven't found it to line up with what I've personally heard this person teaching. I've also seen some people using quick video snippets and a couple were from full videos I'd seen. And they were taken completely out of context and twisted.

So ultimately, I have researched to an extent. Unless there's more information I'm not aware of.

Since one of the main ones I listen to is no doubt one considered in this category is Joyce Meyer, her statement of faith doesn't differ from many others, including my own church. And they alone dispel at least 5 of the above points.

You never rely on the bias view of another, though some are not bias ... many are. You first have to come across the item of concern and then you track it down from their teaching records as so many in question have websites, been on TV or radio for years and thus there is a large archive of their material.

I said the above to simply say you always go to the source to confirm any suspicions. Because of my position as a pastor I follow the teachings of quite a few different people so that I am aware of what people are being influenced by.

Statement of Faiths are nice packages and are important, but it is the ministry activity and words spoken that will reveal what a person or ministry believe and stand for.

It is not my goal to beat you to death on this. I will leave it to you to look deeper into these things if you will and know you will be surprised by what you find. It is also my goal and responsibility to address error or inconsistencies.

I will leave you with one challenge:

Do you believe you are a god ... deity?

Track that teaching down which is taught by several and see if you agree with their teaching that you are a god in the context of their own words.

Lord Bless,

LT

I believe that I am a born again believer with the Holy Spirit dwelling in me and Christ my mediator with God that if I ask anything in Christ's name then I know God hears me and answers.

This is where I have issues with these statements. I've heard people make claims that someone teaches we can speak things into existence just like God, but in listening to that person myself, they teach more if the above. They continually stress it is CHRIST working in us and through us and never that it is us since apart from Christ we can do nothing.

My 2nd issue was this: Remember that next time someone tries to get you sidetracked into a religious debate about healing or deliverance. If someone needs to be delivered from a demon, just do it! Don’t get all hung up on theological questions about where the demon is.

“Is it in his body? Or his brain? Or his spirit? Or his pocket?” While you’re arguing about questions like that, the demon will be driving the poor guy up the wall.

The question isn’t, “Where is the demon?” The question is, “Why haven’t we gotten this man delivered? He’s our blood brother in the Name of Jesus and he ought to be free!”

Once you start asking that question, you won’t care whether that demon is inside or outside, hovering over or sitting under. All you’ll care about is getting that person free!

I believe it's not so simply cut & dry as this. It does matter where the demon is. If this person is possessed by a demon, he's not a brother. This takes on a whole new different aspect altogether as well as the prayers are different. As a believer with the abiding of Christ, a demon cannot reside where there is Light. You, yourself, went to one of these Deliverance Ministry & seen the damage & confusion one can cause. Why haven't we gotten this man delivered? Because it's not up to us to deliver. All we can do is inquire & seek & ask in faith. It is then passed onto the Lord as well as the one we're praying for. If they are an unbeliever, they may choose to not be delivered. The Lord could be using this situation as a building block for their next step & it's not time for them to be delivered.

I think this also falls into the category of name it claim it; blab it grab it. It's as if because we say so, it must be done. This isn't how God works. 

I'm focusing solely on the message. ..just do it. He used demons as the example. But the message is to help the person instead of debating it.

As far as that part on demons, what causes oppression? Can Christians be oppressed?

Eric,

I disagree. She is being heard, but the article she posted is not simply about "just do it" even if that is only what she got out of it. He specifically choose to include the demonic in the article and that was not just coincidence. 

Lord Bless,

LT

IMO, she's being misled by the tagline "Just do it." It's short and simple, to the point, bold, confident, and distracts from all the "stuff" behind it that's in the message. I bet the seven sons of Sceva could have used a pair of Nikes.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service