All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I've heard people say they don't understand the Bible so they stop reading. I've responded to that by pointing out the NIV being easier to understand. However I came across something that has me rethinking this. http://www.scionofzion.com/niv2.htm

The most glaring is this:

In Isaiah 9:3, the KJB says:
Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy ...
The NIV says:
You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy...

As the article says, it can't be both. Do you use other versions? If so, have you ever noticed such differences?

Views: 2543

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think I singled out the NIV version by itself . I didn't name any version except for the KJV. I will reread it in a bit to see if I did..  I was talking about being nervous about all the newer versions including the newer versions of the king james.  Now that Im reading the things you wrote to Seek I am worried even more about all the versions. This is scary to me. I dont want to believe what isnt of God.

There is no reason to be scared. Again, there are numerous versions that all tell the same truth, agree in doctrine. People often get carried away over a single dot here or line there when the bottom line is very solid as it is still God's Word as transcribed and then later translated. Though these humans are not what we call inspired like the real human authors were, but we can still trust God to guard the process and give us illumination through the Holy Spirit to discern the truth from lie.

I was not singling you out, but as I often do, seek to speak to the bigger picture and larger audience.

I was not singling you out, but as I often do, seek to speak to the bigger picture and larger audience.

Is that a dig on my weight?

Hahaha ... I will never tell :-)

I think it was the "seek" that gave you away.
Ribbon I just found the KJV has added some words. This is why I began questioning the differences. In Matthew 6:13 KJV adds "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen." Looking at
https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/Mounce-Reverse-Interlinear-Ne..., word for word that isn't there.

I don't see the addition as hurting the message there but I do wonder why they felt a need to add it.

Edited to say the reason I say they aren't there is that word for word all the words are accounted for. There's no additional original text to translate because the sentence ends. So KJV added a sentence.

So, that verse isnt of God?  Wow!!! I can see why some are confused. I sure am.

Those words are still biblical and inspired, appearing elsewhere in the canon, and therefore can't be said "not of God":

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all. 1 Chronicles 29:11, ESV

Amen LT

LT I'm not personally saying KJV rules or NIV is no good. I'm just saying we should be cautious...compare and get the whole truth. It's no different than not taking one verse and running with it without taking the rest of Scripture into account. We also need to take those differences into account and not rely solely on one interpretation where something is missed. Such as the verse where A NIV added "not" increase their joy. If I hadn't seen that it doesn't say "not" in KJV, I could have the wrong impression on that. Finding that difference had me research why it was different.

I have not been raised on KJV either. In fact I have heard preaching in my church and growing up that covered a whole range. I believe my pastor uses NLT, but another who also preaches when he is away uses NIV and I know I've heard ESV in there as well. And none of kept me from giving my heart to God. But I don't want to go blindly into one man's interpretation of a verse that may leave me thinking something that isn't quite right because I didn't understand why they stated it that way.

Seek,

LT I'm not personally saying KJV rules or NIV is no good.

Never for a moment believed you did, but there are those who hold that view and aggressively attack all other versions. 

I'm just saying we should be cautious...compare and get the whole truth.

Absolutely!

Such as the verse where A NIV added "not" increase their joy. If I hadn't seen that it doesn't say "not" in KJV, I could have the wrong impression on that. Finding that difference had me research why it was different.

Based on the newer manuscripts (KJV) verses older manuscripts (NIV) did the NIV Add or did the KJV subtract? The question to ask is in the end of the day as we look at the totality of doctrine found in the KJV and the NIV does this one verse alter the doctrine found therein? After the totality is examined do the KJV and NIV hold up the same doctrines as true?

But I don't want to go blindly into one man's interpretation of a verse that may leave me thinking something that isn't quite right because I didn't understand why they stated it that way.

This is a good practice to follow regardless of which version a person uses.

Well it appears they are BOTH different than the original. LOL

Isaiah 9:3
KJV
Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy: they joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil.

NIV
You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy; they rejoice before you as people rejoice at the harvest, as warriors rejoice when dividing the plunder.

Original text
you increase the nation not to him you magnify the rejoicing they rejoice to faces of you as rejoicing of in the harvest as which they are exulting

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service