All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I've heard people say they don't understand the Bible so they stop reading. I've responded to that by pointing out the NIV being easier to understand. However I came across something that has me rethinking this. http://www.scionofzion.com/niv2.htm

The most glaring is this:

In Isaiah 9:3, the KJB says:
Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy ...
The NIV says:
You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy...

As the article says, it can't be both. Do you use other versions? If so, have you ever noticed such differences?

Views: 2543

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Proverbs 30:5-6

Every word of God IS  true.  Therefore, do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar. 

I don't understand your response in relation to the post. It may be that we're speaking two totally different languages even if they do tend to sound alike.
As I understand it, since the Rheims New Testament version was consulted by those who were working for King James, then quite a bit from Wycliffe's Bible is actually in the Authorized KJV. So, I'm not sure why you're sold out on the KJV, when all things are considered.

Take a look at this article: http://www.gotquestions.org/KJV-only.html

Girl, you talking to yourself. People have to be teachable before they listen to teachings. You beating a dead horse.

Are you calling me a horse? Well if the horseshoe fits...

LOL

The Horse is NOT dead!  It's much alive.  It's been taken to the "pond" to take a drink.  But...it won't drink...because it doesn't need a drink.

The hardest part of this type of discussion for me is that in order to overcome the belief that NIV(1984), NASB and other solid translations are valid and trustworthy as translations I have to make comments about the KJV, a version I use and trust as a translation, but it is because those who are dogmatic about the KJV being the ONLY version they leave a no choice when responding to them.

It is not my desire to diminish the KJV, but rather to keep others from beating up other valid versions today. There are many versions and paraphrases I would not use. I have my reasons and admit some is preference and for others it has to do with recognizing that some today have a clear agenda that determines how the words are translated in order to get a particular outcome. I will not go into each one, but reaffirm that I like and trust the NASB and the NIV (1984) as well as the KJV translations. Yet, each of these are translations from the manuscripts that are based on the original inerrant Word of God. Thus, we have two points to make. 1) The manuscripts are copies carefully done by humans. 2) The translations are carefully done by humans. God is infallible and His Word true, yet we also know that revelation (Word of God/Bible) ceased at the conclusion of the writing of the Book of Revelation. The best anyone can have today is illumination, and the Holy Spirit still gives illumination today, but that does not mean that the translators of the KJV, NIV, or NASB (and all other version) were perfect infallible men and women. There are some variations between the versions, but none that alter doctrine. There are variations between the multitude of manuscripts, but none that alter doctrine.

We must remember one important thing: We do not worship the Bible, but rather the Living Word, Jesus, who is revealed through the Bible. The Bible is a tool that leads us to the Savior and not an end in itself. 

Amen.

Amen

Something I touched on in a conversation in email just this morning on the old issue I had about tithing. I was telling someone how I kept praying for the "truth". God is truth. As you said, the Bible is a tool that leads us to the truth of Christ and salvation. Men have a habit of twisting truth. So reading only one version may blind us to truth at times. I started this because of hearing that newer versions changed things. I was further intrigued to find that the KJV actually added to the Lord's Prayer. It's like any different stories that conflict...the truth may be somewhere in the middle. All of them seem to be giving us the way to Christ, it's the rest of Scripture of proverbs, parables and stories that show us how to grow, how to live, love, etc. that may have some minor differences but ultimately the same message.

When I use a TOOL  I want to use a genuine one and not a fake one.  In these days of Chinese "look-alike" tools, it's very easy to look at a Chinese imitation tool and think it's genuine.  The KJB is the authentic one for English speakers.  All others are "look-alikes."

Ananda,

Purely your opinion and you are welcome to hold that opinion, whether it is right or wrong.

You have stated your point of view and it is now time to move on from this topic.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service