All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Many believe that once you are saved you are always saved and that you cannot lose your salvation or be rejected by God.

What is the scriptural basis for “Once saved always saved”? Does not the responsibility lie with the believer how he/she conduct themselves after initially being saved?

I see many scriptures that say/imply other than once saved always saved:

Old Testament:

Num 14:11  Then the LORD said to Moses: "How long will these people reject Me? And how long will they not believe Me, with all the signs which I have performed among them?

Num 14:12  I will strike them with the pestilence and disinherit them..."

1Sa 15:23  For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."

1Sa 28:6  And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets.

1Sa 28:7  Then Saul said to his servants, "Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her…"

Pro 2:13  …From those who leave the paths of uprightness To walk in the ways of darkness

New Testament:

Joh 17:12  …Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition

Act 8:9  But there was a certain man called Simon, who previously practiced sorcery…

Act 8:13  …Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done…

Act 8:20  …But Peter said to him, "Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money!

Act 8:21  You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God.

Act 8:22  Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.

Act 8:23  For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity."

1Pe 4:17  For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?

1Pe 4:18  Now "IF THE RIGHTEOUS ONE IS SCARCELY SAVED, WHERE WILL THE UNGODLY AND THE SINNER APPEAR?"

Jas 5:19  Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back,

Jas 5:20  let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

2Ti 2:17  …Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort,

2Ti 2:18  who have strayed concerning the truth

2Ti 2:24  …And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,

2Ti 2:25  in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,

2Ti 2:26  and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

2Pe 2:20  For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.

2Pe 2:21  For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.

2Pe 2:22  But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: "A DOG RETURNS TO HIS OWN VOMIT," and, "a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire."

Heb 10:26  For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Heb 10:27  but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Heb 10:28  Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.

Heb 10:29  Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Heb 6:4  For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit,

Heb 6:5  and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,

Heb 6:6  if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

Views: 2861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How can a simple mortal being, an imperfect criature tell who God will save, has saved or not?  Sorry, to me that sounds wrong!

Yael,

We can't tell, but that does not mean that God does not know. The church is called to share the gospel with all. The outcome is between them and God. We are the simple messengers, bearers of good news.

Lord Bless,
LT

Nylene,

Note that in the text the Bible does not say that they prophesied, cast out demons and performed many miracles. The Bible says that they proclaimed to have done these things. This is their view of themselves, but is not substantiated by the Word as fact.

Also, you said: "God is giving us a fair chance to get to Heaven without being bound by sin."

This is exactly why Jesus died. He paid our sin debt. The only hope of being saved is being born-again. This requires the grace of God through faith.

Lord Bless,
LT

Roger,

You will never find a verse in the bible explaining foreknowledge as you have come to believe it. Not one beloved. The bible does not teach anywhere that God chose us because He knew we would chose him. That is human deduction in the face of God telling us that He gives mercy and compassion to whom He wants. However you will find that there are numerous passages pointing us to the biblical truth that God has chosen us according to His good pleasure. I can place a list here of such verses, but we would be going into another tangent and topic.

>>ONLY PREDESTINATED THOSE WHO BY HIS FOREKNOWLEGE ACCEPTED THE FREE GIFT OF SALVATION

That statement is impossible to prove with biblical passages bro. I really do not want to go into the topic of predestination and foreknowledge or what is meant biblically when the word foreknowledge is use. If you want to touch on those subjects I would be happy to join you in a new discussion.

And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, Ephesians 1:9

Galatians 1:15 But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased

11Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: Romans 9

Roger check out this discussion and feel free to jump in bro :)

http://www.allaboutgod.net/forum/topics/what-is-arminianism-and?gro...

>>IN FACT THE BOOK OF LIFE HAS CONTAINED THE NAMES OF ALL WHO WOULD BY FREE WILL ACCEPT JESEUS TRILLONS OF YEARS AGO.

Brother I appreciate your zeal and thank God for you, but such statements should not be made. You are making assumptions assertions and that is not wise.

In love brother.

Roger,

Well done! That's exactly it.

God is eternal. He knows before hand those who will accept His gift of Salvation and those who will reject it.

He does not create anyone with the purpose of being dammed. He loves all His creation. God does not know hate. He know only to love.

DT 16:21 Do not set up any wooden Asherah pole beside the altar you build to the LORD your God, 22 and do not erect a sacred stone, for these the LORD your God hates.

PS 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

PR 6:16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:

MAL 2:16 "I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel, "and I hate a man's covering himself with violence as well as with his garment," says the LORD Almighty. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith.

LT, Please  read your passages again. I think you are missing A HUGE point.

The Lord God hates THE SIN, NOT the sinner.

Now read my comment: God loves ALL his CREATION. NOT what His Creation MIGHT do to offend him. This is confirmed in the passages you quoted, but not only there. John tells about God's love in john 4 7-12.

Thank you!

Ps. Bible quoting can be a very unfruitfull thing if one does not understand what one is quoting...

Actually God is Love:

God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him”

1Jn 4:16

Yael,

You did not qualify as to what God hates. You clealry stated:

He loves all His creation. God does not know hate. He know only to love.

And this verse disagrees with your POV:

PS 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth. (KJV)

PS 11:5 The LORD examines the righteous, but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates. (NIV)

PS 11: 5 The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked, And the one who loves violence His soul hates. (NASB)

Hate is not the opposite of love or even the absence of love. For God is love and yet expresses hate.

BTW, you also said:

Ps. Bible quoting can be a very unfruitfull thing if one does not understand what one is quoting...

My response: ROFLO ...................

PR 28:25 An arrogant man stirs up strife, But he who trusts in the LORD will prosper.

PR 28:26 He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But he who walks wisely will be delivered.

Lord Bless,

LT

LT,

You are right. I didn't. I thought I did...but reading it again.

My mistake. Sorry.

But I do stand on what I said b4.  Scripture quoting without understanding can be harmful. Didn't even the Devil know to quote them by heart?

Yael,

All is good.

Lord Bless,

LT

>>Roger,

Well done! That's exactly it.

God is eternal. He knows before hand those who will accept His gift of Salvation and those who will reject it.

He does not create anyone with the purpose of being dammed. He loves all His creation. God does not know hate. He know only to love.

I have asked you and Roger for one verse that teaches what you guys belive and i am still waiting....

The LORD examines the righteous, but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates. Psalm 11:5

PLEASE - read your bibles and rightly divide the word of truth.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service