All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I enjoy listening to bands such as Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Judas Priest.  They are secular bands although the drummer from Iron Maiden is a born again Christian.  My question is is it wrong for me to listen to these bands?  They sure make my drive to and from work more tolarable

Views: 7710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hahaah that is a funny song. Three leged dog...
Hannah I dont walk up to people with my beliefs if I think something is wrong or not. Usually when I did was when I was approached. Especially married christian men who are on the pray and they approach me. So I wasnt pouncing the guy he asked me. When he got my answer he kept asking me more questions. Im not sure how to respond to these kinds of folks when they ask me. And if my children were in church it would be my hope that the pastor was deep in the word about God not worldly.
Also it is my prayer and hope that someday I can do as you said and beable to know the word. But even that I dont now I know enough to know evil from good .. well what is evil to me. LOL this reminds me... My son asked me to watch a movie once. He said the mom in it reminded him of me. I asked him who she was and he told me Cathy Bates.. I told him that her and me looked nothing alike. He laughed and said no mom her personallity. He said the movie mom would call everything "the devil" :-). I always told him his music was the devil so I kinda see what you are talking about. At least I think I do. In another post I thougfht someone was talking about polyester meaning us old fogies I thought it was funny but I think it turned out they were talking about something else in scripture
Hi Janie (& others),

As a muso I feel like I just have to weigh in on this discussion...which I may regret later on! :-)

I don't believe the issue is about the music...it's about the message contained in the words, which I think has been mentioned already. It's not heavy metal that is just at fault here either. How many country & western songs are about cheating on a partner, getting full of booze, marriage bust-ups, murder & mayhem! Even Hotel California by the Eagles is supposed to be about a drug crazed weekend with some satanic rituals thrown in for good measure. It's not about the music it's the message.

What about the blues too for that matter? A lot of blues is about a life of sin & destruction, including one of the classics...Robert Johnson's "Crossroads" where he goes down to make a deal with the devil.

Like I said, it's the message that is the key. In every genre of music you will find a Christian alternative whether it's rock, blues, heavy metal, country, jazz, rap, R&B or whatever.

Music is an incredibly powerful vehicle for moving the emotions which is why it is used as a tool of the devil as well in the service of the Lord. Loud guitars & drums will not cause you to be saved or lost...but the words just might.

Remember...Jesus was the Word & he said, "I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." (Matt 12:36-37) I take "utter" to be either spoken or sung...it makes no difference.

It's the words that are the key to this issue...not the style of music.

Hope this helps,

Your brother in Christ,
John Lemmon
Hi John,
I agree about the message in any kind of music can be about sin. I even think that music without lyrics can help cause someone to have sinful thoughts. Music alone can be seductive or get your adrenaline going to help you feel big bad an ugly. When I was going to church I would sometimes listen to the radio on the way to work. I sometimes couldnt get my station to come in.. old time gospel so I would listen to another christian station. The singers would sometimes sound seductive and the music itself would seem that way. I would think maaaannnnnnnnnn wheres the booze and the man. So I would change it. Anyway it wasnt heavy metal and it wasnt the message it was the way it was being presented. Maybe im off topic and out of line. I will erase this if so. But for now Im going to find something to watch.
I want to thank everyone for responding to this question. It is something that I have been thinking about for a while. It's hard to give up on something that I have enjoyed for many years and I am not sure that I can go "cold turkey" but I am for sure gonna try some of the Christian bands that have the same heavy sound as the bands that I mentioned in my question

God Bless You All
John
Graham, That is the same way I feel about metal. As I said before a lot of the songs by Iron Maiden deal with history. They even have a couple of songs that deal with religion called The Sign of The Cross and For the Greater Good of God. It is the energy that this type of music has that really gets me going.

I think only listening to black metal would be sinful because i researched this music genre  and its very bad

I like Screamo, Religious Rock like Relient k,  Religious Metal ,Electro Metal ,Hair Metal ,Glam Metal ,Thrash Metal, Nu metal, Slow Rock, Heavy Metal ,Electro Rock, Techno Metal ,Speed Metal, Funk Metal, Grunge metal, Rap Metal,  Rap Rock, Symphonic Metal, Opera Metal, Rock and Roll, 

Classic Rock, Post Grunge ,Emo, Pop Rock, Pop Punk , British Metal because i love asking Alexandria ,Scottish Metal and Scottish Rock because i love Shirley Manson and i also love many other genres of Rock and Metal music but i cannot stand rap unless its eminem, i will not listen

to black metal due to religion and i do like some death metal bands but, i mainly listen to Electro Metal like sky eats airplane ,Electronic Rock like Breathe Carolina or Grunge Metal like Nirvana or Alice in Chains, I am kind of confused on country music i do not hate it, i can stomach it sometimes. I 

have about 4 country music singers that i greatly like but since finding pandora Keith Whitley is my all time fav country singer ever! and Tim McGraw is my second.

I love music because it brightens up my day and it keeps me happy without it i would fall in to a black hole of depression forever.

This is band that has inspired me love life again i absolutely love them and there message is positively powerful!

That's Nicky Sixx's band. He was with Motley Crew. In one of his new songs he says he has sold his soul. In others he talks about his struggles with heroin. Actually he has a whole album dedicated to the subject. I know the song you placed here is a good song, but shouldn't it matter to us all that surrounds and artist that we endorse?

I heard that Black Sabbath was bad but i like snowblind i took a look threw the lyrics and i saw nothing evil there so i listened 

Black Sabbath is pretty bad. I used to love Black Sabbath. The name tells you all you need to know, Black Sabbath, is a mockery of the Lord's day.

From reading your profile I can't tell if you are born again or not. I do not know if you are a child of God or not, but for those of us who are, Black Sabbath's music is not acceptable or something we should listen to. The founders of BS are known to practice Satanism.

Check out their idea of being born again. That is the title of this album cover. Again they are mocking Christianity/God:

If you think that is just an album cover and it has nothing to do with worshiping Satan, than my freind, you are extremely blind to the system of this world, which is ruled and ran by Satan and the rest of the fallen angels.

If you call God your Lord and Savior, you should do away with such music. If you are not born again, I will tell you that being born again will open your eyes to see the war that is going on in this world for every soul, your soul. Being in Christ is the most beautiful and amazing thing in life, nothing compares to it. Repent of your sins and received the forgiveness of your sins, if you are not in Christ.

The war is not directly between Satan and God, for Satan is but a created angel that God can crush with a thought, but the is a war between fallen angels and humans. God does fight through holy angels and humans.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service