All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Which response, in your view, comes closest to presenting the understanding of God's love that is best supported by the Scriptures?

1. Yes
  2. Yes, but
  3. Yes and no
  4. No

Please feel free to elaborate on your answer.  What do the terms unconditional  and conditional  mean (with respect to God's love) to you?  What is the scriptural support for your stance? You find more information, including statements supporting each of the four answers above, on my blog posted here:  http://www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/is-god-s-love-uncondition...

Views: 594

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LT has shared with us excellent points to ponder, which are tethered to God's Word, as he explains why he believes God's love is unconditional and what that entails.

As I reflect on it, God's love incorporates two properties which, at first glance, may seem contradictory: grace and judgment.

John gives us one of the most uplifting and fulfilling verses of scripture. “God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but have eternal life.”  It continues, “Indeed God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him” (John 3:16). God’s Grace is unearned, unbidden and though we can deny its existence, there is nothing we can do to stop it. It is embodied in the one sent us out of God’s love and it is indeed worth crying over.

But then we are given something else that is true at the same time, something that seems in tension: God's judgment.  The death of Jesus stands as a judgment upon us.  We can respond to it like curious tourists, who look and move on, with little change in our lives except for some painful splinters.  Or we can recognize on the cross the face of the one who loved us so much, he died for us.

I especially like LT's phrasing here: "The love [of God] is unconditional while the salvation is conditional."

God's love embodies both grace and judgment. Two things; both are true. Make no mistake, each of has a choice to make: to embrace or reject God's free gift of grace, grounded in his love of us.  Each will stand in judgment before God to give an account of our lives.

Colby,

I originally posted this and pulled it down as I did not want to be the first to reply, but obviously you read my comment before it was pulled down. Thus, I am reposting it :-)

I scanned the 4 articles and struggle to use any of the numbers specifically. For me the key is understanding that God's love, of which the Bible proclaims that "God is love," is but one of His recognizable attributes in Scripture. God can love us and yet still execute justice according to His righteousness and holiness.

So, lets look at a couple of things: God is love, but man has sinned. God, who is love, proclaimed that the wages of sin is death. God loves us, but because of sin justice must be meted out ... sin will not be overlooked or excused. Because of justice being executed and God being love He offers Himself to pay the penalty for our sins. This satisfies His justice, righteousness and holiness while being driven by His love for us. The offer, given by His love, is universal and yet must be entered into for it to be in effect.

Thus, God's love is unconditional in that because He is love He can do no less than love us. Salvation, which is provided by His love and required by His justice and righteousness is conditional.

Another way of saying it would be that unconditional love does not erase sin, but rather provides a way for our sins to be forgiven that we may have new life. The love is unconditional while the salvation is conditional.

Lord Bless,

LT

LT,

Whether yours is the first word or the last, it's always a good word.  

Colby

Colby,

Thank you for the kind word.

Lord Bless,

LT

I totally agree Colby & your words are always awesome as well.

I was about to say "I don't see LT saying anything". Was wondering if Colby had an epiphany or something.

I thought it was Colby's ESP, or else, LT is saying the same thing over and over so much that anyone can easily discern what he will say. Lol

Amanda,

LT is predictable, stays on message, and may even be repetitious (over time).  These are good points where matters of faith are concerned.  :-)  Following his thought pattern is not like driving at night on a slick, icy road with unexpected twists and turns, a set of fading brakes, unresponsive steering, a heavy foot on the gas pedal, all interspersed with occasional momentary blinding at headlights coming from the opposite direction.  Occasionally, though, he'll surprise us with a zinger.  

Colby

LOL

Tammy and Amanda,

Y'all are funny :-)

Lord Bless,

LT

LT,

When you say, "Y'all are funny :-)," do you mean that unconditionally or conditionally?

Colby

Tammy,

Blessed are those who don't see and yet believe.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service