All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Is Colorado paying the price for Mocking God by allowing same-sex marriage and legal marijuana?

Galatians 6:7, " Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap."

What about believers who are experiencing the same pain and hardships?

What are your thoughts?

Views: 876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! 

You guys are great. a lot of food for thought here. Thank you all.

First of all......I have to ask Tammy what ROFL is? You're dealing with a person who thought FB meant "fake blonde".

And Graz, old friend, you might want to check Revelation, Chapters 6 - 20 re: Gods wrath .

I'm in complete agreement - Amanda, LT, Colby, and Tammy (I think).

The main reason for this post .......is primarily concern of believers who have been caught up in the pain and hardships,

of what I still believe is an example of God's disapproval of what's been going on there.

I heard a radio interview recently of a man who has been involved in interviewing victims, and relatives of victims, from

911 in New York, to all the massive shootings since( Aurora theater, Newtown school, .etc.. His name is Kenneth Fineberg (spelling?). He volunteered some information the interviewer didn't ask (NPR).

He said he asked all the  people that he talked to about their spiritual status.

Now catch this my brethren....... Mr. Fineberg said about half were self -proclaimed Christians or Jews.....said they would never set foot in a church or synagogue again because of God allowing what happened in their lives.

BUT......he said about the other half, who were self-proclaimed un-believers.....said they came to God through Jesus Christ.

Isn't that interesting?

So, that takes us back to my original thought....Does God "test" believers in tragic events? Do unbelievers find the Lord in these situations?

Grace and Peace my Brothers and Sisters.

Fake blonde.....rofl  @ Richard ,

Richard, what makes you think I haven't? I may be a fool who writes rubbish articles in David's (and possibly others) eyes but I'm not ignorant of what the bible says (yes I do read it thank you), I just view this matter from a different angle and in a different light to you. I don't pretend to have it all figured out, I just do the best I can with what I have and get help along the way.

Grazer,

In all your getting, get the interpretation that is faithful to the whole of scripture and not your own "light" or different "angle." God has not asked us to look at scripture from our own angle or with a different light. He has asked us to rightly divide the word of truth. His word. You are not dealing with purely human words Grazer. You are not working through human text, but God inspired one.

Get as far as you can from your own light or angle. There are multiple/various angles we can view scripture from which are biblical, we do not have to use our own, and those already offered by the text of scripture should suffice.

I said that the writers you are reading are fools who think themselves wise, but they are far from Godly wisdom. A cursory reading of their writings shows how they add to scripture their own passions.

You have the Holy Spirit, if you are born from above. He is our teacher. Stop listening to fools or you will become one.  God has given you all you need.

Thanks, I'll take it under advisement.

LOLOL@Grazer

At the invitation of a friend and out of curiosity, I joined him recently in attending the Sunday worship service at a start-up church near my home.  The sermon opened with this overarching question:

• Does my ability to follow the laws of God and keep from sinning
    determine my eligibility to avoid or escape the wrath of God?"

Further into his sermon, the pastor made and repeated for emphasis the following statement:

• Christ experienced the wrath of God once, so that I can avoid
    the wrath of God forever.

I'm curious as to what your take-away is, in light of the Scriptures, with regard to the question and summary statement.

Hi Group,

I ask: Does everyone else on the planet know what ROFL is.............except me? I know what "nut" means..........

Colby, interesting sermon question and sermon statement.

So many folks keep thinking that "It's all about ME".......when it's really all about God.

To answer,  Does my ability to follow the laws of God and keep from sinning determine my eligibility to avoid or escape the wrath of God?

Let's go back to the scene at the edge of the River Jordan (Numbers 14:31-35). Ten of the tribal leasers and their people were extremely unfaithful and disobedient in not going across and possessing the land.

But Joshua and Caleb, along with their people, were being extremely faithful and obedient in wanting to go across with God's help.

But, in God's dealing with the weak ten tribes by sending them back into the wilderness for 40 more years to die out there,

guess what? The godly two tribes had to stay out there with the others. Course at least they all lived through the next 40 years.  Wonder how they felt about all that?

But my point = Their being obedient and faithful didn't allow them to cross on over when they showed God they were with Him.

I believe that answers the pastor's question.

Now about,  Christ experienced the wrath of God once, so that I can avoid the wrath of God forever.

I understand from the Bible that we are to conform to the image of Christ (maybe not over night).

Galatians 4:19-20 N.A.S.B." My children, with whom I am again in labor until Christ is formed in you -

but I could wish to be present with you now and to change my tone, for I am perplexed about you".

Space and time doesn't allow me to post I Peter 4:12-19....but, please read that section about being tried and suffering as our Lord and Savior did.  

Some people blame Satan for trying times......but he can only approach God's children with God's permission ( Book of Job). James 1:2-4 tells us to count it all joy when our faith and endurance is tested.

Remember, Jesus prayed for His saints down through the ages, John 17:15, " I do not ask Thee  to take them out of the world, but to keep them from (out of the power of) the evil one."

So, we can expect some suffering as we are honed to be more like Jesus in the Kingdom of God.

I think that statement might fit into the "deliverance vein" of preaching....... not sure on that statement. I guess it might have been more clear with the rest of the sermon.

Anyway, that's all from me for now.

Grace and Peace. 

I ask: Does everyone else on the planet know what ROFL is

Richard, I guess since Tammy isn't going to tell you what that means, I will. ROFL means "really odd flower lady".

Did she call you that? I hope not... that's just not nice. :-)

Richard, I'd never call you a flower lady. Odd? Yes but not a flower lady

Richard,

Thanks for your insight into what I heard preached at a recent sermon.  The pastor was clear that we shouldn't expect rewards on earth for our good behavior.  He said the opposite was true, too.  That the bad consequences that result from our sin--which is to say, violating God's laws--shouldn't be understood as an outpouring of God's wrath.  Granted, he said, there are examples in the Bible where God poured out his wrath, including the Great Flood, which annihilated almost all life on earth, and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.  However, he continued, most of the time, we are simply sowing what we reap (as you aptly noted in your introductory statement).  We're responsible for consequences of our sinful behavior, of violating God's laws, including sexual immorality, alcohol and drug misuse and/or abuse.  These aren't an outpouring of God's wrath.

Getting back to the your original post, which I've pondered some more, you later wrote:  
So, that takes us back to my original thought.... Does God "test" believers in tragic events?  Do unbelievers find the Lord in these situations?  

Yes, to both.  Here's why I believe this answer to be biblically-aligned.

God is sovereign.  He either causes things to happen, or he allows them to happen (by not intervening).  In some cases, he may intervene (without us even knowing it) to keep even worse things from happening.  

All things, the Bible assures us, work toward the fulfillment of God's purpose and plan, which is laid out from Genesis through Revelation.

We may not fully understand his intentions behind directing or allowing certain things to happen, or how things fit together, because our minds our finite and fallible.  For example, why do good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to "good" people?

The Bible tells us that God uses pain, suffering and persecution to test and refine our faith.  The Apostle Paul's life vividly and compellingly illustrates this principle, as does 1 Peter 4:12-19 (which you referenced).  Likewise, I believe unexpected good things can result from tragedy; that God can and does use such events to bring people to a saving faith.

In the end, everything will be perfect with the second coming of our Lord.  If things are still messed up and getting worse in the world, it just means we're not there yet.

Grace and peace be with you,

Colby

Hello Brothers and Sisters,

Thanks Janie for your translation of ROFL.

It's really different...........and a first....I've never been called that before. Been called a "nut" many times.........

Maybe I'll let my hair grow out long......and start carrying flowers.........Hummmm.

In the meantime, if any of you believers ever find yourself being swept up with a bunch of unbelievers being punished by Almighty God......remember this post.

Grace and Peace.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service