All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

This is a pretty hard question to post.  But I wonder does anyone know someone who has this disease?

Do you have a relationship with them?  A family member or friend?  How do you help them to cope?

Views: 445

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Michelle, God bless you!

I did have a relationship with a person with AIDS. Her family and friends abandoned her. I'm guessing her family has regretted their actions. The hospital staff let me visit her because no one else was. That should grab our attention. People who are sick need encouragement and love. They need company and shouldn't be alone. I prayed for her, and the thing I got was that she wanted to know that God forgave her. When I told her that God forgave her, she had tears in her eyes and smiled.

My father-in-law after he retired became a full-time minister for many years. He's kind of my hero. He had a clown outfit made, and his ministry was visiting people in the hospital. He delivered balloons and bouquets, read the Bible, prayed and gave communion. He gave so many smiles. 

Love,

Mary

Mary,

That sounds so cool about your grandfather. That is so sweet. My twins were in a bad car accident when they were about 3. One was bad off. There was something like that come in & gave him a balloon & stuffed animal. I thought that was so cool. My babies are 11 now praise God.

I cannot see how having AIDS would be any different from having cancer.  In BOTH cases, the patient is suffering a deadly illness.  In BOTH, they need love and support and to know God is there.  In BOTH, they can contract it via no fault of their own or through their lifestyle choices. 

I just think we typically associate AIDS with a lifestyle choice when many are born into it or get it through blood transfusions, etc.  And if we can look at them in the same manner we would treat a cancer patient, the tone of judgment would be gone from our voice and we would be better prepared to encourage and comfort them.  And most of us have likely known someone with cancer and didn't run away from them, but stayed and supported them.

Seek,

Well said.

We need to be able to see the person as a human being whom Jesus loves and recognize their/our greatest, if not our only, true need. We need Jesus, for what we do with Him has eternal ramifications. The Bible tells us "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" regardless of the causation of our physical ailments.  

I have known several since I have worked in healthcare in various capacities since I was 19. It is a disease that is spreading among heterosexuals at a greater rate now than among gay people. People with it suffer desperately. They need love and acceptance. Some things we can do are: don't avoid them (think of how lepers were treated in the Bible); be there because it gives hope; if it is a friend, still be the same friend you always were because now it's most important; touch them -- a hug, holding a hand, don't be afraid; weep with them and laugh with them; offer to help. What I was taught in college was don't let your friend become isolated. Share grief, anger, feelings of hopelessness, or whatever emotions are being felt. It's what Christ did.

Amanda,

Well said.

It is sad the way friends and loved ones can turn away from us when we need them most, in many cases and not just this one, but, whatever the situation, when people turn their backs on us, I believe it is mostly out of fear and insecurity.

I would say, Do you feel like talking about it? I would say, I care.

I truly identify with the song and the painted on smile and pretending I'm fine when I'm not fine. I believe Jesus would rather us be real.

Love this song by CC but then again, they have never recorded a bad one.

God's grace covers all our short comings, illnesses, silliness etc...

His grace is sufficient for any and all things that we may encounter in this world. We are not of the world, so our attitude towards those with any illness, should be such as it would be of Christ. 

I had friends in the past who were HIV positive and it changed nothing. You help them to cope as you would anyone else in the world going through difficulty; you point them to our Savior. He is well equipped to deal with all our infirmities.

Love you Mich.

Michelle,

HIV and AIDS are related but they are not the same things. People who are HIV positive are able to take meds to maintain their immune system so that they don't get AIDS. HIV can become AIDS if it is allowed to spread through someone's immune system, destroying it.

You've been on my mind so much since you have shared this. Your faith is so strong. You are such a bright light here. I'm so sorry for all the pain and hurt you have had to endure. The stigma of this disease makes the emotional suffering almost unbearable. There is so much that they can do now as far as treating HIV so that it doesn't become AIDS and life expectancy is really good and with good care can be as long as anyone's life expectancy is without HIV. But I know that doesn't help with the emotional suffering. People can be so cruel. 

I wish for all people to become educated about the difference between being HIV positive and having AIDS itself, and also, I wish for people to not be afraid of the testing because getting on the meds before too much time passes is very important after becoming infected with HIV and it never needs to actually progress to AIDS. In fact, statistics today show that with the current drug therapies for HIV, someone who is age 20 and just diagnosed as HIV positive, can actually expect to live 60 more years without dying from AIDS. That is, with good care as far as diet and exercise and staying on the meds. 

But you also have the Lord. I believe the Lord has helped us make these medications to treat HIV. Love you ...
Have you thought about starting and leading your own support group? You have the spiritual gift of encouragement. I know there are support groups for this in general but I'm sure there are more people who are isolating themselves from even those support groups who may be afraid, too, to reach out to others and share this diagnosis with the people in their church. They bear the burden alone when they need the support of their brothers and sisters in Christ but of course the group could be kept open for those who are seeking Christ, too, and not just those who already profess Him as Savior. You could research how to start a support group. This link offers basic tips http://m.wikihow.com/Start-a-Support-Group

Just a thought ...

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service