All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Is it a sin to pray for an increase in your faith? Or is that something that you should strive to get by yourself. I know that faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God. I read the Bible and study and I am learning, but I so desire more faith. What are your thoughts on this?

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The following verse tells us that out faith grows:
2Co 10:15 NIV84  Neither do we go beyond our limits by boasting of work done by others. Our hope is that, as your faith continues to grow, our area of activity among you will greatly expand,

Since we know that it grows then it is right to want it to grow and asking the Lord is not a wrong thing. The disciples asked Jesus and He responded as seen below:

Luk 17:5-6 NIV84  The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"  (6)  He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.

Jesus did not condemn them for asking the question, but rather instructed them that even a little faith is powerful. The next four verses in Luke teach us to use what we have as good stewards of what God has given us to accomplish His purpose through us each step of the way.

Lord Bless,

LT

According to Mark, 11:24, all you need to do is believe that you have already received it. “If that is your desire” Because according to 2Pet.1:2-3. Everything that you have need of, has already been given unto you, in your Spirit, especially if it pertains unto life and godliness, and I would think that faith would pertain unto life, and godliness, wouldn’t it? Because we walk by faith, and not by sight. So in my opinion, I would think that more knowledge of God would make your faith more effectual.

However both faith and knowledge of God comes by the study of His Word, not just reading it.

JB

This does not negate that as a child of God that we must grow in faith and in love. When I was born as an infant I had all that it took to be human, but it all needed to grow and mature and this maturing went through various phases. This maturing process is also true of the newborn child of God. They will grow in various areas spiritually, but at no time were they any less of a child of God.

Eph. 4:13-15

1 Th. 3:12-13

2 Cor. 10:15

Lord Bless,

LT

LT, Though I don’t totally disagree with you about growing your faith; but you said “ When I was born as an infant I had all that it took to be human, but it all needed to grow and mature and this maturing went through various phases.”

Though you were a human at birth; to grow into a man you had to go through phases and processes, i.e., eating the proper food, exercising, learning, by reading and listening. You didn’t ask God to grow you into manhood; you did that by, or through, phases and processes.  

“This maturing process is also true of the newborn child of God.”

Very true, but, do we have to ask God to increase our faith?

1. What are the phases, or process to maturing as a Christian, in all the fruit of the Spirit?
  2.  Do we have to ask God to make us a Christian?
  3. Or does it come by our accepting the gospel of Jesus Christ, repenting of our sins, and making Him our Lord and Savior?

Eph. 4:13
 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, [Not faith itself.]  and of the knowledge of the Son of God,  [Gained by the study of His Word, which is Spirit.]  unto a perfect man, [Matured, in knowledge of God and Jesus Christ. 2Pet.1:2.]    unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ: Granted, it takes longer for some than it does for others., depending on their hunger for knowledge of God. “The Word”

We didn’t have to ask God for this, it came by the Spirit through the study of His Word; “process” just as faith does.  The Spirit of faith is already in His Word, so we grow in the knowledge of His Word, and we see that all things have been supplied, and by faith we accept, and receive it. So again, when you pray, believe that you received it and ……Why? For this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us, and if we know He hears us, and whatsoever we ask; we know we have the petitions we desired of Him.1Jo.5:14. Is it His will for us to have faith? He tells us how to get it, it comes by the Word.

A little side note, I always believe when I study the Word, “I’m asking” .

You are not any less a child of God by not being fully matured; you’re right!!!  

Blessings

JB

JB,

As far as I can tell we are not really in disagreement. You and I tend to say things a little differently.

Your three questions:

1. What are the phases, or process to maturing as a Christian, in all the fruit of the Spirit?

New birth that leads to surrender that is followed by obedience. The growth is ongoing. The word phase simply recognizes periods such as infant, toddler, pre-teen, teen, adult. You will not see noticeable changes by examining the child daily, but when you step back and look at the big picture you see the change. The child of God is similar. Can you look back over your life and recognize the changes in you over the years? As we mature spiritually there will be an outward expression that aligns with that inward maturity. The Fruit of the Spirit all relate to our state of being. From the state of being (who we are in Christ and He in us) will begin to flow the actions of the child of God to match that maturity.

2. Do we have to ask God to make us a Christian?

Depends on what we mean by Christian? If we use the term Christ-follower (and are not talking about the born-again process) we are dependent upon Him to enlighten and to empower us to follow. We are responsible to walk in obedience to the Word of God and to the Spirit.

Take note: In what we often call the Great Commission the disciples are told to go and "make" disciples and not simply converts.

3. Or does it come by our accepting the gospel of Jesus Christ, repenting of our sins, and making Him our Lord and Savior?

Again it depends on what is meant in the previous question. All is provided for us by God and yet we are participants in this Christian life and not just by-standers. If one wants to grow they must be nurtured by the Word of God and the Holy Spirit.

To you basic question:

Very true, but, do we have to ask God to increase our faith?

God always looks for obedience to Him and our dependence on Him. These two go hand in hand What we often call the Lord's Prayer is a great example of dependence that involves also doing as seen in "Give us this day our daily bread." It is also interesting to note that it is "this day" and not once and done.:

Mat 6:9-13 KJV  After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.  (10)  Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.  (11)  Give us this day our daily bread.  (12)  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.  (13)  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Is it His will for us to have faith? He tells us how to get it, it comes by the Word. ... A little side note, I always believe when I study the Word, “I’m asking” .

When we come to the Word of God we, or at least I do the following, ask the Holy Spirit to guide me and enlighten me in the study of the Holy Word. I play a part ... I come to the Word. He plays a part ... He works in me according to the Word and His will.

It is in my opinion to ask the Lord to increase our faith and then just sit on our hands waiting for Him to do it is futile (Note: I do not consider waiting upon the Lord as sitting on our hands). Our life is a journey to be lived out for His glory. This includes us doing our part in seeking Him in His Word and seeking to live to honor and glorify Him. The growth in such a life will take place because it is being nurtured according to the will and plan of God.

Lord Bless,

LT

LT, I do agree, the difference is mostly in the syntax. God Bless

JB

22 And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.

23 Jesus said to him, “If you can believe,[a] all things are possible to him who believes.”

24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief! Mark 9:22-24)

This instance is about a child being delivered from a demon, but it can apply to many other instances.  The dad said to Jesus..."If you can do anything".  I can't imagine saying that to Jesus, but the dad said it. I was thinking that watching his child suffer had drained the dad. I know I can get emotional where my child is concerned. In v)24 the dad calls Jesus Lord. I know he had some belief, but he was also honest and admitted he needed help.

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)

He is the author and the finisher. IMO it's okay to go to the Lord and ask for help. He understands what we need. Jesus is the best thing that ever happened to me. 

Love,

Mary

1 Corinthians 12  Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit

1 Corinthians 14:14 in part says "eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit"

And we're told to ask and receive. 

So if there is a gift of faith, and we're to eagerly desire the gifts and if we're to ask and receive, how can asking to increase our faith be wrong?  Lord I believe, but help my unbelief.  We always need help and we always need more.  More faith, more compassion, more of God.  But we have not because we ask not.

The way I see it, if I want more faith, all I do is go to the Word and study to show myself approved of God,  and hear what God says, He says, “Joe” faith cometh by hearing and hearing  by the Word of God.” understand what is being said, and therefore, faith comes. Jo.1:1, I don’t have to get on my knees and beg God for it.  It is a promise of God. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  So there is no difference in going to the Word and going to God. Because He will just tell you the same thing as He told us in His Word. God and His Word are one. 1Jo.5:7

So if you want to ask God, go to His Word. He will talk to you through it. His Word is Spirit….

Part of a prophase that was spoken to me at a church I used to attend was,  “Quote in part..”and day by day if you look to me, yea I will answer your questions, and will establish you, but it will be a natural flow from the throne of God and the Lord will be your teacher.”  I hadn’t been reading the bible, but one day some time later, “about 2 weeks” I got the bible and started to read, the reference led me to Jo.1:1, and as soon as I read that “and the Word was God” that prophecy hit me as if it were an audible voice speaking to me at that time. I had already forgotten about the prophecy until I heard that voice so clear say.  Day By Day if you look to me. Yes, when I look at the Word, it is as if God was speaking to me personally. From then on I began to read, and study and revelation began to come to me as I read His Word. But it must be read in faith, and expectation, that God and His Word will do exactly what He says He will do.

JB

Since we pray for God to reveal things to us through the reading of the Word, why would we not also pray that He increase our faith through the same?  It sounds like you're saying don't pray to have faith increased but do it on your own by reading the Word.  If that's not the message you might need to clarify it then.

To clarify my statement, what shall I say, what shall I say??

To me it would be like a person thinking negative thoughts all the time, then negative things will happen, it’s a proven fact” you don’t have to wish for it, it just happens. Same with the Word, as I said, it is Spirit, and if you get the Word in you, faith will happen. This is how we change, or rather this is the way God changes us, by His Word. It is written,” “Pr.23:7, For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he…..”

Even in 2Cor.3:18, “But we all with open faces, beholding as in a glass, the glory of the Lord, are changed into that same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

A quote from “Think and Grow Rich” By Napoleon Hill”

I realize that the dominating thoughts of my mind will eventually reproduce themselves in outward, physical action, and gradually transform themselves into physical reality, therefore, I will concentrate my thoughts for thirty minutes daily upon the task of thinking of the person, (mine is Christ) I intend to become, therefore creating in my mind a clear mental picture” “emphasis mine”

“Quote” Since we pray for God to reveal things to us through the reading of the Word, why would we not also pray that He increase our faith through the same? The same principle applies.

Blessings,

JB

What would be pleasing to God? Would it not be that we walk by faith? Faith in Him, and what He has done for us, that we accept this free gift, free for us, but He paid a big price. By reading the Word, along with studying the Word, this faith will manifest itself. According to the Word our faith will become effectual by the acknowledging every good thing that is in us, in Christ Jesus. Phil.1:6. So what is in you? If it is the Word, then you will be acknowledging it, for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks…Lu.6:45. And what is it that overcomes the world? Even our faith. 1Jo.5:4.

JB

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service