All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I need to hear from members on AAG, what they understand by the terms "Body"  "Soul"  and "Spirit"  Let's look forward to a lively discussion as to your impression and beliefs on the subject.

"Do men and women possess three entities, namely a "Body" that possesses a "Soul" and a "Spirit"?

The Lord Bless all on AAG

Ron.

Views: 984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tim,

Can the dead hear?

LT
Hi Linda,
I feel I owe you mail as it was just about the time you asked me to be your friend that my computer packed up.
So Yes, I feel priviledged - and to know that there are people who want me to be their friend. Thankyou!

Otherwise I have read just about all the comments and notice that you had accomplished much in your studies. keep it up and find yourself filled with New wine.

Our Father recognises your love for His word and we know that it keeps us close to Him. What a God we serve! WOW!

My absence allowed me to concentrate on Him as my Father and what He expects and wants from all of us. The insight received from Him was that He too longs for us to be with Him, but we are His Ambassadors here and He wants us to know that as His representatives we are to hold Him up.
Every time I went down in prayer, the Chorus "Lift Jesus higher, hold Him up for the world to see." kept going through my head. Then too the poetry.

"When Thou shalt come,
How glad I shall be,
That the lamp of my life
Has been blazed out for Thee.
I shall not mind, in whatever I gave,
Labour or money, one sinner to save,
When Thou shalt come,
How glad I shall be,
That the lamp of my life,
Has been blazed out for Thee."

Look forward to "hearing" and "seeing" you around.
"Soentjies Hoor"
Ron
David,

This is a fascinating and invigorating discussion. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to pen such well written responses. Every time I engage in a discussion like this invariably I come away with a new perspective on the Scriptures.

If we step back a moment and reconsider the question posed by the original poster, "Do we posses three entities namely a body, soul and spirit', how do you respond? It seems like you're saying that the physical body is mortal. The soul, on the other hand, is not mortal, is immaterial and thus survives the death of the physical body.
Does that mean then that the soul is immortal? And how does it relate to the spirit?
Are the words 'soul' and 'spirit' referring to the same thing? Are they synonymous, or does this 'breath of God' differ from the soul in that it is not the individual person but the breath that gives live and simply returns to God at death?

I eagerly await your response!

Tim,

I'm relatively new to this site, and I've observed (perhaps incorrectly) that most folks here don't discuss their perspective denominations but speak as individuals. Wanting to abide by this, I haven't discussed mine, but rather hope that my comments are judged on their own merit.

Sam
Sam,

You said:
So, based on that scripture, Adam was a living soul. That would mean that now he is a dead soul, right?
Was Adam dead before he was made a living soul? There was no Adam to be alive or dead. God created Adam and gave him life. There was no Adam before God created him. He had life in the body. His body died. He was no longer what he was, nor is he what he will become, but he still is and is conscious.

Two evidences of this truth:
Jesus transfiguration and the appearance of Moses and Elijah.
Richman and Lazarus.

You said:
Further, I wouldn't expect to read anything else in the Scriptures that would contradict that basic teaching,
The principle of first usage lays the ground work regarding the specific topic, yet it does not reveal all there is regarding that topic. God revealed deeper understanding regarding topics over a period of time and this new revelations never contradict the original, as Scripture never contradicts itself. The fact that we are alive and conscious while away from the body does not altar the base meaning revealed in Gen. 2:7. it expands on it.

2CO 5:6 Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7 We live by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

LT
We need to consider time in this discussion. We live with time---God lives outside of time.

What i think we're trying to do is discuss something in a time element when God is not restricted by time.

The Bible says that the soul that sins, dies. The question is when does it die. With the body? I think not or else "the rest of the story" couldn't be true. As it has been stated before, the soul would die at the great white throne judgement and beyond but then it also says the suffering in the lake of fire is eternal so by all this I have to conclude that the mention of death and the soul has got to be in the memory of others. We know that when an unsaved person dies, he is past saving. There fore I think what the Word is saying is "forget the unsaved who have passed from this life, as you will not see them anymore, they are dead to you."
I do not use the 1 Samuel 28:15 scripture for the reasons you brought up. But what about the one Linda brought up before. Moses is the one that concerns us, because Elijah never experience physical death. What do you make of that one Tim?

Reply by Linda Ruth on April 23, 2010 at 3:36pm
Blessings,

It occured to me overnight (sleep alluded me) that Jesus spoke with Moses and Elijah before Peter. Now if Moses and Elijah were dead (soul sleep) - how could that be:

Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
Mat 17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
Mat 17:6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.
Spirit: Your unique spirit

Soul: Breath living; breathe for life; to live

Flesh: (body) like a robot can't function without a soul but the spirit adds unique characteristic

Spirit of Peace, Soul of Power, Flesh to work

Jesus>Life>works in faith

Life>everlasting>dead body

When you are asleep you are "dead"
when you give your soul to God he uses it> your spirit goes with it
so your life support (soul)+Unique Spirit (spirit) travels into other hearts everywhere.

How do you think we gain peace in our hearts? Have you ever noticed that when you wake up it is like taking in air for the first time? I wake up every morning thanking God for another day to live cuz every time I wake up my heart is empty of emotions like I have no spirit just taking in air. Then i pray for myself to come back and I get filled with the Holy Spirit. I never feel the same when I wake up I have to literally renew my life spiritually and remind myself who I am reading my plans for the next day or my to do list.

Think about Lazarus who was dead and was told to awaken and the girl who is saved when Jesus whispers in her ear to wake up after her own family thought she was dead.
Tim,

What makes you think this was a vision and not an event? Who says they were in heaven prior to the resurrection?

So you attempt to explain away Moses and Elijah being there by framing it as a vision and the true meaning has nothing to do with them standing there ... we will ignore that, because it doesn't fit into my theology, thus we will call it only a vision when the Bible makes no such attempt to present it as anything less than an event that the three saw with their own eyes?

LT
LT,

I haven't seen anyone comment on this, so I apologize if this has already been addressed and I missed it.

I believe Tim is basing his assertion on the statement made by the Lord following the transfiguration at Matthew 17:9, "And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

Sam
Tim,

MT 17:9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, "Don't tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead."

Greek Word: 1. horama (3705), “that which is seen” (horao), denotes (a) “a spectacle, sight,” Matt. 17:9; Acts 7:31 (“sight”); (b) “an appearance, vision,” Acts 9:10 (v. 12 in some mss.): 10:3, 17, 19; 11:5; 12:9; 16:9, 10; 18:9.¶
W.E. Vine, Merrill F. Unger and William White, Vine’s complete expository dictionary of Old and New Testament words

____

What does that previous text really say?

Mat 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. 28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

What was included in this coming as outlined by Jesus? He said He will come with His angles. Did Jesus come with His angels at the time of His transfiguration? “NO.” He said that He shall reward every man according to his works. Did Jesus reward every man at the time of His transfiguration? “NO.”

____

MT 17:1 After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them.

Let’s examine the event. They are standing and looking at Jesus. The text states that He was transformed, not that they saw a vision of Him being transformed. Nothing in the text insinuates that it was simply a vision.

____

LK 9:30 Two men, Moses and Elijah,
LK 9:31 appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem.

In your view this is a vision of the future and Jesus coming in His kingdom and thus we see only an image of Moses and Elijah. If this is an image of the future and Jesus’ coming in His kingdom, explain why they discussed His pending departure from Jerusalem? If the dead are asleep, how can these two saints know about the “coming” departure of Jesus.

Even if it were only a vision, which it is not, then these two men are being credited with Jesus as having prior knowledge of an event before it happens while supposedly being asleep.
____

MK 9:4 And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus.

MK 9:8 Suddenly, when they looked around, they no longer saw anyone with them except Jesus.
MK 9:9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus gave them orders not to tell anyone what they had seen until the Son of Man had risen from the dead.

Mark’s account uses the word “Horao” and is translated into the English as follows”

English - Greek - G/K – Strongs - occurances
saw …… horaö G3972 G3708 … 182
see …… horaö G3972 G3708 … 112
seen ….. horaö G3972 G3708 …. 62
appeared horaö G3972 G3708 …. 17
looked .. horaö G3972 G3708 ….. 9
Seeing .. horaö G3972 G3708 ….. 7

LT
I am quite sure with the BODY, but I am not sure with the part SOUL & SPIRIT. I mean I don't know how to differentiate between SOUL & SPIRIT.
Tim,

N.T. evidence of conscious existence after physical death:
Richman and Lazarus.
The Thief on the cross.
Paul's clear statement regarding being away from the body is to be with the Lord.
Souls under the altar.

The witnesses that speak are Jesus, Paul and John.

LT

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service