All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I need to hear from members on AAG, what they understand by the terms "Body"  "Soul"  and "Spirit"  Let's look forward to a lively discussion as to your impression and beliefs on the subject.

"Do men and women possess three entities, namely a "Body" that possesses a "Soul" and a "Spirit"?

The Lord Bless all on AAG

Ron.

Views: 984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Ron, for posting this topic. I have a large lack of knowledge when it comes to "body,soul, spirit" and am very interested in gaining insight.
A friend explained to me that when Adam and Eve partook of the tree of knowledge of good and evil that the spirit "fell asleep" until the time it would be required to communicate with God "Holy Spirit". I am inclined to believe this explanation because it makes more sense to me than anything else I have heard.

Our bodies die, but will be raised incorruptable as Christians.

If our souls are our intellect, that makes sense too.

Gods truth is sharp enough to seperate our intellect from our heart or to put both soul and spirit on the same path, and in agreement in understanding God's word. Our soul (mind) might be the source of rebellion, if we still feel inclined to do that, but our spirit brings us back in line to agree with the Holy Spirit.

This is my short version. Hope it's understood.
Blessings,
Rita
Hi Rita,
Long time no hear. missed you.

You are almost there Rita, but not quite, I am sure as more folk respond, you will get to know all about it. In the meantime read the link the 2nd Link that Rita posted and I think the article on Soul sleep will help you a lot.

Ron.
Hi Tim,
Glad to see you.

One would have to walk warily here because most of the Old Testament refers to man as a soul.
Even today we speak of ten souls lost at sea.

Yet in the verse you refer to we learn that God created two miracles.

First he created a man, then secondly He undertook a second miracle, possibly even greater than the lifeless image of God, lying on the ground. God breathed into the mould something which was far more than simply breath and only then did man become alive. That which was given to Adam brought Adam to life and Adam suddenly had all the attributes of life sight, memory, touch, thoughts, feelings etc. I believe that it is here where we differ, while the scripture says Adam became a living soul, he could never become something that he never had, unless it was given to him first.
We call it a soul .
A beggar can never become a millionaire, unless he is given a million Dollars. So like Adam our beggar became a millionaire.

Ron.
I hope I didn't lead you to think that I believe in soul sleep because I don't. I believe at the rapture that the bodies of those who are with the Lord now will be raised incorruptible just as when the snatching away occurs, our bodies will be changed to incorruptible bodies.

I would also think that if our souls and spirits are so closely connected, the soul will be where the spirit is for the believer.
For the unbeliever, I think the soul goes to hell and the spirit returns to the One who sent it.

rita
I am going to add another dimension to this discussion - I don't know why but I am being badgered by this scripture:

When you are badgered that means there is importance for you to cover and God wants you to understand what it all means for this new generation and what will be happening for new believers in Christ so that you may be the one to explain as a witness of what the Holy Trinity is all about.

Luk 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

Gluttony, selfish, too many riches not enough sharing, pretty much partaking in sin

Luk 16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

do not be afraid of sick people and have mercy and be compassionate

Luk 16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

feed the hungry tend to the poor

Luk 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

Blessed are the poor God has mercy on the poor for they are the ones who suffer most and are neglected by the many people of this world God has pity on their souls for people do not love them enough to provide food or shelter

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Saved

Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Be merciful

Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise
Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

because a person may take things for granted, suffering is the payment, you may be forgiven in Gods timing we shall see if he merciful on the souls who take life for Granted and not obey HIS commandments

Luk 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

good or evil your choice, choose wisely or suffer the consequences

Luk 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

have pity on my soul and tell Father forgive me for I have sinned, get me out of hell and be merciful

Luk 16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

I have proof of goodness but they do not have to come down here

Luk 16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

you have all ears people are listening to you claims for justification

Luk 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

Beg for mercy and we shall see what the Father does with you for you have not been good on Earth

Luk 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

you may have life and live again

It appears that after they were dead (their flesh and breath gone back to God who gave it) they were alive - if that makes sense. I know it is only a story but does it depict what is true - i.e. the soul goes on but in either 1 of 2 separate places - Abraham's bosom (under the alter of God maybe) or a place of torment.

Who is Abraham? What did he do for God? is he worthy? and what was God's promise to him?

In regard to the scripture in Cor and I will quote it:

1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

there is more to life once surrendered must obey and be loyal to God you are in his Hands and he is in control of you, all that you do is in submission to the Father

1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

You stay up alllll night alll day doing his will and watching and praying over people like guardian angels
You will do things not of human nature and will not be tired

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

You will live a new life in oneness in Christ living among the dead being the light of the world

1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

act like a human of goodness but, live for GOD in Christ with everlasting life

1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

death no more but live in Victory because of GOD

1Co 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

is it merely referring to our flesh? Like the scripture I quoted earlier from Job:

YOU LIVE FOR GOD TO DO GOOD FOR ALL PEOPLE ON EARTH

ob 19:25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
Job 19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

Who is your redeemer and now what do you do and what is your commandment?

You lift up your life to God not living a life of evil and hatred but only LOVE

So the body is put back with the soul and spirit in perfection.

You become perfect in Christ

Phew my brain is fried! Paul did say it was a mystery but it is the duty of kings to investigate a matter:

yes i have

Pro 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

This i have done

Soldier on Kings and Priests.

lol sis I love you
Hope this helps may your brain be refreshed lol

Thank God :) <3
You lil sister in Christ truly Stacey A.
<3 :)
After reading your response here, Linda, I thought of this recent sermon given by Creflo Dollar. So I went to his ministry's Web site to look it up. I'm going to recommend that folks listen to two consecutive sermons that together relate to the topic of this thread. The link below will take ya'll to the ministry Web site where you can listen to past sermons by clicking on their links. Please refer to the sermons titled "Deliverance from Spiritual Death"--04/21/2010 and "Deliverance from Spiritual Death (Part 2)"--04/22/2010. They help explain a lot, or at least they blessed me with better understanding regarding our three part make-up. If you decide to listen, note that it takes a few minutes before Creflo begins talking about the difference between spirit, soul, and body. Also realize you will need a fair amount of free time to listen to these two sermons in full, but they are very worth it! Happy listening! Creflo Rocks! :D

http://creflodollarministries.org/Broadcast/Broadcast.aspx
Hi Everyone... Here's a quote:

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
— C.S. Lewis

I vaguely understand that the Spirit is the part of us that connects with God..since He is Spirit.

anything beyond this makes my finite brain hurt! :)

Lots of Love.. Carla
Hi Tim,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.
I think I understand what you are saying.

You also say this: So then when the spirit goes out, the body and soul (the self) are dead.
I just have a couple questions:
.Where do our Spirits go when they die?
I understand how our bodies here die, but how does our soul die?

Thanks for your time.. :)

Blessings, Carla
Hi Tim,

Gen 2:7 cross references with 1 Cor 2:45...

Gen 2:7
tells us that the breath of life (literally 'soul') is breathed into Adam.

Gen 3:19
tells us that Adam returned to the dust from which he was created... obviously he did not leave the earth...right! so your physical theory of death does not hold up! This was a spiritual death. Their disobedience caused them to be relationally separated from God...But they lived on in the flesh..naturally. But they were dead spiritually.

lets read 1 Cor 2:45-58
1 Cor 2:45 tells us 'The first man Adam became a living 'soul', The last Adam became a life-giving Spirit.' Who is that last Adam? Well...we know that's Jesus! :)

verses 46-50 go on to tell us this:
However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual.
The first man (Adam) is from the earth, earthly; the second man is from heaven.
As is the earthly, so also are those who are earthly.

(which means spiritually dead--separated from God). When Adam and Eve left Eden...their bodies did not leave the earth physically, but they were separated from God spiritually...that is the meaning of death)

and is the heavenly, so also are those who are heavenly (Jesus was first...bringing life to all who believe and trust in Him)

Just as we have born the image of the earthly, we will also bear the image of the heavenly.
Now I say this brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Tim, you gave me this verse to try to squeeze your theology to have merit...that our Spirits die:
Ps 146:4: "His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."
But you have neglected to add in the others verses and therefore you have left out the context.

Psalm 146:1-8 portrays man as an inadequate savior. The context if you read verse 3 is that we are not to trust in princes, nor in the son of man (note the small 's' where it says 'son'), in whom there is no help. KJV. The NASB version says 'mortal man' in place of 'son of man.' This has nothing to do with the discussion here.

Your explanation seems to deny the risen Christ...since you say our Spirits die??? Did you mean to come across that way? I urge you to Reevaluate your post....lest you deny the risen Lord.

I would like to add a new question for you to answer.... Who is Jesus to you? Do you believe He was crucified, died and rose again. If you say 'yes' to that, then you are contradicting your earlier statement...

John 3:16 (NIV)
16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (NIV)
21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

I look forward to hearing from you.
~Carla
Tim,

Please tell me how the rich man and Lazarus conversed with Abraham, if as you say: "When you die you stop thinking" I trust that by now, you will have stopped thinking of the stories that Christ told were simply fairy tales. If Jesus told fairy tales, then please, which one of everything he said can we believe? C'mon Tim. You are walking on dangrous ground. Fairy tales are untruths and Jesus whom I believe is God, and God is a God who cannot lie hence Jesus never told an untruth or a lie ever.

Ron
Hey Ron -

Good topic. I actually asked the same question a while back, check it out. LT''s response was very good.
http://www.allaboutgod.net/forum/topics/body-soul-spirit
Thanks for posting the link David. LT explained it so any one could understand.

The 3 parts of man is an interesting study, one of God's mysteries and one I'm sure brings a smile to His face as we try to speak it aloud.

Another part of the equation is that the spirit of a nonbeliever isn't functioning, in my humble opinion, because it has no one to commune with. I think our spirit is available to commune with the Holy Spirit but if we don't have the Holy Spirit, which nonbelievers do not, then the spirit lies quiet, until we actually have need of it.

For the unsaved person, the body can communicate with another body and the soul can as well with another soul, but the need for the need to communicate between spirits isn't present yet, because the heart isn't right.
It is there,so that when it receives the call, it can respond---if it will---but not til then.

I've heard many preachers say that when Adam and Eve fell, they "died" spiritually. I think, in place of "they died spiritually" it should be "they fell asleep spiritually". Waiting for the time when the Holy Spirit rouses them.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service