All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Why is it so difficult for Christians to unite. Why do we sit around and do nothing to protect our Christian heritage ?

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Roy,

From what I have heard preached, most preachers teach that spirit and soul are two different words meaning the same thing. I don't see them being the same. I think of soul as being one's mind and see the spirit as one's heart, and communicator with God. I think that the spirit of a nonbeliever as being a communicator with Satin.

Satan can mess with our mind...putting all sorts of thoughts there but he can't touch our spirit. With an unsaved person, Satan has access to his mind but also, possibly his spirit. However, I sometimes think that the spirit of an unsaved person is asleep, until the Holy Spirit wakes it up.

I grew up in the Bible-believing Evangelical church. All that I have been associated with over the years did teach body, soul and spirit. I am agreeing with your definition here.

Another example:

Christ was made propitiation for the sins of the World, so why would a preacher teach that the storms that have done tremendous damage are retribution from God?  (I don't believe that either) It isn't time yet for God to pour out His Wrath on us. So why would a preacher teach that the storms are part of His Wrath? The Bible says that rain will fall on the just and unjust. Until God calls the Church out of the world we won't see His wrath.  Just another example of why there isn't unity in the church.

There are two factors to consider. 1) We are positionally unified in Christ by the presence and work fo the Holy Spirit. We are one body. It really is that simple. 2) Experiential unity is more difficult, because we live in the fallen flesh that wars against us. We have been given the mind of Christ, but we begin as babes. It takes time to mature. As we go through the maturing process we find that our perspective changes (not His Word, but us). We slowly are guided into alignment with God's Word as we seek after Him. Some reject this call and create their own plans and make their own doctrines. Others desire what is right, but due to our limited insight disagree on various topics. The Word is not confused, just man. We also deal with people who believe that God has given such-and-such insight and therefore they must be right and you must be wrong. It is interesting that when two people both believe God has spoken to them, and yet they still disagree, we find that one or both are wrong. It is certain that both cannot be right. One thing stands for sure ... God's Word is always right and man is fallible. Our goal is to understand His Word as He intended and follow it accordingly.

As we grow there will be areas in which we do not agree. Many of these topics are discussed regularly here on AAG. All of God's Word is important, but some doctrines are more critical to life in Christ and unity in the body. One example is as follows. I can have fellowship with someone who is a Calvanist or Armenian, when I am neither. I cannot have fellowship (worship and work together in the church) with a person who denies the deity of Jesus. Thus, unity (experiential) is not to be had at the cost of truth, for Jesus is truth and our true unity is in Him.

Denominations exist for several reasons, but two come to the front when we see them as a good thing. 1) God has given different denominations certain purposes in serving Him. 2) We gather according to affinity. One example is as follows: I take the Scripture at face value. Someone else may read it strictly allegorically. We both love Jesus, but our understanding of Scripture and our approach to serving the Lord will be quite different. This will keep us from being effective. It is likened to hitching horses to opposite ends of a cart and telling them to pull. the cart will go nowhere and the horses will wear themselves out. 

Lord Bless,

LT

Another aspect to consider is "What is unity?" What does unity look like? God did not create mankind to be exact copies of each other. We see this even in the garden when He created man and woman. We think differently, act differently, etc. Thus, what does unity look like when we are dealing with unique beings who are given liberty in Gods' kingdom?

Lord Bless,

LT

LT,

You are correct in defining unity in the church the way you have.

The unity I would like for us to see is the unity between believers. I guess that will be accomplished when we are at home with the Lord.

Maany blessings,

Rita

UNITY IN THE BODY OF CHRIST... EPHESIANS 4:1-23

1. HUMBLENESS AND GENTLENESS

2. BOND OF PEACE

3. ONE LORD , ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM

4. GRACE  APPORTIONED

4. LEADERS TO  BUILT UP CHRISTIANS FOR GOD SERVICE - GET MATURED

5. SPEAKING THE TRUTH IN LOVE

6. AS PART OF THE BODY JOINED AND HELD TOGETHER

7. SENSITIVE TO GODS WORD

8. NEW CREATION

9. KIND AND COMPASSIONATE

10. FORGIVING EACH OTHER.

WHEN WE ARE NO LONGER INFANTS TOSSED BACK AND FORTH BY THE WAVES AND BLOWN HERE AND THERE BY EVERY WIND OF TEACHING AND BY THE CUNNING AND CRAFTINESS OF MEN IN THEIR DECEITFUL SCHEMING.

EPHESIANS 4:1-23

with these passage i think i'm still infant. Praying to God that i would get matured very soon to understand UNITY IN THE BODY OF CHRIST...

Raul

All we who have "recieved ', or whatever term you wish to use , the Lord are the body of Christ.  As we are the body of Christ we will be in unity only when all the 'parts' submit to the 'head' which is Christ.  I know that's an oversimplification but there is no reason to make things more complicated than they are.  Now HOW to do that is the question that certainly begs an answer.

I for one am somewhat disenchanted with the institutional church.  I realize that none will ever be perfect as long as people attend them.  I am one who is seeking to walk a deeper walk with the Lord and have having a deep struggle.  There is really no one at the church that I feel I can go to to confide in about my struggle.   In the church I attend , as in many others I'm sure,  there is such an emphasis that people attend every meeting unless they are deathly ill or are physically restricted in some way.

It's presented as a sin to miss a service without a very acceptable explanation.  Many times the people , though not specifically by name of course, are made to feel ashamed for missing a service.  As I said they are not specifically called out or anything like that  but it is made very clear sometimes during the preaching.  To me that is simply not right and is in fact counter productive

( in my opinion only).   I have been reading lately about 'home churches ' and people who just get together spontaneously to meet and fellowship and comfort one another.   Amazing fellowship can be had when people arrange ( or better yet , when God arranges ) for people to get together at times when they really need encouragement .   That  rarely happens ( in my case anyhow)

specifically on Sundays or Thursday nights.  

I am not in any way, shape or form trying to discourage anyone from attending institutional churches so I don't need pastors to get on my case about this , please !   It's just that the ' institutional church' isn't helping me the way that I need to be helped.  I have found that there are a lot (though I'm sure not a majority ) who are experiencing similar feelings. I need to be challenged or encouraged or whatever all during the week and not just wait for Sundays or a Thursday night. 

We must strive for unity in the body everyday and all day and therefore we need to be available to others ( for our sakes as well as theirs ) at almost anytime.   Now before people start saying " I can't be available at just any time ", I realize that many can't be available as frequently as I can.  Although I do now work during the week there are times when I can be available when someone else can't and vice verse.  The 'body needs to expand it's ministering to each other way beyond the walls of the institutional church.

Many of the churches ( though not all ) that I have attended don't seem to see much beyond the walls of the church. I am by no means saying all institutional churches are like that it's just that I've seen so much of it that it is a little discouraging. That is why the last couple times when the pastor has had me fill in for him on Thursday nights that I have spoken more passionately than I thought I was ever capable of about a deep and personal walk with the Lord . One that carries us through the times between Sunday and whatever week day night a church may have service. This also includes fellowship with others all during the week and not just church days .    Like the word says ' where 2 or 3 are gathered in His name He'll be there.

Anyhow , thanks for letting me vent .

God bless you all in wherever you find meaningful fellowship

Hi Charles,

The churches that I have attended have all been about the people in them. They say all the right words, and they sing the songs and smile at the right times and say Amen. But you can tell that they have other places to be. More important things they would rather be doing. In my opinion, going to church regularly doesn't mean you’re living for God anymore than selling drugs makes you a pharmacist.

Many Blessings.

It is unfortunate that there are so many churches out there who have for one reason or another left a bad impression on multitudes of people. Yet, there are many good churches out there, ones that seek to love the Lord, one another and reach out to the lost. One must not give up because of bad experiences, but press on until they find one where the Spirit of the Lord is.

Here is an example: If you sat down to a meal and was given fake (plastic) food you would not give up on ever eating again, nor would you go back to the same place to eat another plastic meal. You would, because of the hunger within, press on until you find real food that satifies that hunger. There are dynamics in the church, when it is functioning as the body, that cannot be experienced any place else.

Some times we need to be reminded with what is right with the church. The following web site has two messages entitled "The One Another Principles - Part 1 and 2" dated 6/19 and 6/26.

http://www.newlifecommunitychapel.org/index.php?p=1_39_2011

Food for thought ... pun intended :-)

Lord Bless,

LT

wow, that's an awesome example! I've got to remember that one when I hear people talking about bad experiences at a church! Thanks LT!

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service