All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Hi everyone 

how many times have we heard the term/phrase born again Christian being used? 

What does it actually mean?

To me it implies that a Christian is being born again - contrary to the teaching of John 3. As I understand it, you have to be born again to become a Christian.

When some people ask me if I am a born again Christian - I simply tell them that I am a Christian.

What do you think about this term/phrase?

Views: 599

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

YES! AMEN! This world and man may call me "simple" or they may call me a "baby Christian" but whatever they choose to label any of us is of no use to me personally. The thing that is important to me for the simple fact that they are important to God is serving Him any way that I can with the opportunities He places in my path to plant the seeds. And what a fullfilling,unconfusing and simple pleasre this is! :D

Hi Nancy,

Well said! Keep on sowing the good seeds (*_*)

Desmond

I appreciate the question desmond. All questions about our lord focus our minds on him and as a result HE puts them into his perspective. God is absolutely awesome! Lord bless you in your journey with Jesus! (*_*)
Amen,

Hello B-T,

The terms are interchangeable. We know some in the family use either one to mean the same thing. A person was born of the Spirit. As LT has pointed out, they were regenerated by our Lord.

Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

Hi Amanda,

yes, I see what you are saying ...  a Christian is not someone who calls themselves one but a Christian is someone who believes in Jesus as the son of God & as saviour and puts into practice Jesus' teachings. I agree.

Consider these simple "biblical equations":  

1          pre-Christian + born again = Christian

2          pre-Christian + repentance = Christian

3          pre-Christian + baptism = Christian

4          pre-Christian + confession Jesus is Lord & Saviour = Christian

5          pre-Christian + obedience to Jesus' teachings = Christian

Are they all true? If so would you then call yourself a born again, repentant, baptized , confessed Christian, or a repentant Christian, or a baptized Christian or a confessor that Jesus is Lord Christian, or an obedient to Jesus' teachings Christian or simply call yourself a Christian (having engaged in those things to become a Christian)?

As I understand the Bible, either you are a Christian or NOT (and NO ONE is a Christian UNLESS they are born again). So I disagree when you pose:  "The question is IMO not whether one is a Christian but whether one is a Christian who is born again...".

The term "born again Christian" originated in the 1960's and is mentioned nowhere in the Bible - "born again" and "Christian(s)" are mentioned (separately) in the Bible but obviously linked spiritually.

1 Peter 4:16 is for me a great example of the use of the name/word Christian.

In Him,

Desmond

Ok Amanda, I won't use the word "Bible" - I'll say "the Word of God"!

(*_*)

B-T,

If you break the words down in the equation style you have used several times in this forum you will come up with the answer to your own question.

Born Again + Christian = ???

Born Again = born of the Spirit, regeneration.

Christian = Christ follower

thus,

Born Again + Chrisitan = a person born of the Spirit, regenerated by God, who follows Christ and His teachings.

To go a step further I would encourage you to look into the origin and history of the term Christian. Also note that the term currently is understood by people to include many cults. Of course God does not see them as true Christ followers, but the world does not know the difference. To many, to be a Christian simply means you attend church or were born in a "Christian" country (if there were such a thing). The combination of born again - Chriatian is not a duplication fo the same wording, but a deeper explanation of what it means to be a child of God who follows Jesus.

Lord Bless,

LT

Hi LT,

thanks for your input, I will definitely read up on the origin and history of the term Christian.

Back to the equations (*,,,*) and this is how I understand it:

belief and acceptance that Jesus is Lord and saviour and that he died for our sins, acceptance of Gods grace, [repentance and baptism (born again)]  = Christian (saved, received gift of the Holy Spirit, obeys Jesus' teachings & commands).  

In Him,

Desmond

Desmond,

Two things can be true and coexist at the same time. Here is an example. If someone asked where I come from I can say that I am a US citizen. I could also say that I am from Florida. I could say that I am from Tampa. All are true. I could also say that I am from Tampa, Florida and am a US citizen. Thus, the last one clearly defines where I come from the best. This is a poor illustration, but is meant to point out that we can define what we mean more clearly by using certain terms that help make the point.

In our world today we have any organizations that proclaim to be Christian and yet they deny God even exists. This is an extreme, but we also have organizations that call themselves Christian and teach a different Jesus. The term born-again qualifies at a deeper level what we mean by being a Christian. We are not talking simply a religion, but a relationship that is enabled by this new birth that takes place in Jesus when we become saved (a born-again Christ follower).

Lord Bless,

LT

Hi LT,

I feel like the example you gave can more be used to make a point about denominationalism, and I guess I'm more interested in how the Word of God defines (and ultimately judges) a Christian? 

The term "born again Christian" originated in the 1960's - so what were (legitimate) followers of Christ (born again) known as before the 1960's?

I understand the stuff about people calling themselves Christian(s) and are not truly Christian(s), but isn't it in some way taking away from/ and adding to the (true and only significant) definition/identity in the Word of God, which is what counts? Honestly LT, why do you think it took until the 1960's for the term "born again Christian" to be introduced and used? 

In Him,

Desmond

They were known as disciples, believers, followers of Christ, nazarenes, children fo God and Christian among many other names. The disciples were first called Christian in Antioch, before that they were not known as Christian, yet they were saved and were followers of Jesus.

Food for thought.

Lord Bless,

LT

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service