All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

This topic comes up often when discussing other topics. It deserves to be addressed all by itself as it is an important subject.

Are you assured of your salvation? If so, why are you assured?

Lord Bless,

LT

Views: 1218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amen

Roy, 

You said, " I guess I would have to say that I am one of those who would fall under the category that if you could lose it, I would."

I'm in the same category. I know we can have assurance in spite of this because of the faithfulness of Christ. But where I get caught up is that I know I'm fully capable of deluding myself. Jesus didn't say we were safe from self-delusion and even said many people are deluded, thinking they are saved and will be turned away on judgement day. 

How can I know that I'm not just deluding myself?

Jenny

Jenny,

It all comes down to the understanding that our confidence must be in the Lord and not in ourselves. I'm not sure of what you mean "deluding yourself." You cannot place you confidence in yourself. You will always fail. You may succeed in certain ways and feel very good about that but eventually you will fail. We all have certain strengths and many weaknesses. Paul said that he would boast in his weakness as that boasted in His Lord rather than in himself. If Paul had his weaknesses, I have many more. I have plenty to boast about. Paul's confidence was in the Lord and not in himself. Even though he had strengths and many accomplishments, he knew none of that qualified him for the prize. His hope was in the Lord and in Him alone. If your trust is in the Lord, you are not delusional. You are firmly planted in the only true path to eternal life in Him.

thanks Roy, 

by "deluding myself" i mean it seems from scripture that there will be many professing Christians going to hell, taking the broad path instead of the narrow way. 

you made a good point to help me with this though, how its only Jesus who can keep me from this, and my trust is in Him, not in my ability to "avoid delusion".

I have assurance because, well think of it this way.

If I thought I'd be saved by vain works I could think where's my salvation rest; works? I wouldn't be confident because I know I can't live up to being perfect since I'm only human, only Jesus was the perfect human.

But, if I think "where's my salvation rest?" My Rock. My salvation rests in Jesus Christ therefore I'm safe. For I'd be foolish to trust in works over Christ to save me.

Great testimony. Praise the Lord. I wish no one had to worry about whether our Lord would keep us or not. I grew up in a church that taught that one had to be living just right or he couldn't go to heaven. I think they were just trying to pad their numbers as we kids would get saved many times. We would sin during the week and then get saved again on Sunday. Wow! Those numbers of salvation experiences must have been pretty impressive on the books. I became a pastor in that same denomination and did the same thing. I was 27 before I saw in His Word that Jesus will truly save us if we ask Him to. Praise Him, praise Him.

If so, I do not believe that denomination is as strong on losing salvation as it used to be.

Mischelle,

Our God is great. Thanks for sharing this with us!!!

Mischelle ,  It is good God set you free from any doubt you had. 

Amen!!!

bumping this up so to remember to read comments later.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service