All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I seen someone comment on FB saying we are all children of God. I tend to disagree. Can I have your thoughts?

Views: 500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hmmm......certainly seems to prove me wrong (well wouldn't be the first time) but something doesn't seem right with not being Gods children until we accept him. Something very conditional about it, seems to contradict the concept of infinite grace and what happened on the cross......

I will be back after celebrating exam results :D

Grazer, we were God's children, but because Adam sinned, we were separated from God.  God sent His son to die on the cross so that all who ACCEPT Him could again be grafted into the body of Christ, could be adopted back as His sons and daughters.  If someone choose to not accept Christ, how COULD they be God's children?  They're in essence not accepting God Himself....shunning God.  It's like today's families and the prodigal son.  Children rebel and leave their parents and the parents may disown them, but if they turn and come back and repent, the parent accepts them back into the family.

I can shun my dad, wouldn't change the fact I'm his son. I wouldn't have a good relationship with him but even if he disowns me, I'm still his son and nothing can change that.

I certainly don't think God has disowned us, it's just that not everyone has a relationship with him. The cross is many things and to me, one of those things is Gods way of saying "come home" We maybe estranged but we are still his children, nothing can change that. A relationship is what God wants.

As I said I need to take a closer look at the passages LT has presented but us all being Gods children make the most sense to me at the moment.....though people talk about biological parents and true parents and now the former doesn't automatically make you the latter......

1Jn 3:10 NIV84  This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.

Yeah.  Grazer, you're looking at it through human eyes.  God created us.  We're His children in that He made us.  But because Adam chose to sin, he was given over to his sin, given over to the devil.  Therefore, since that time, we're now all born of sin/devil, NOT of God.  We're no longer God's children.  So God provided a way for us to become children of God again by shunning evil and accepting Him, just as we (Adam) originally shunned God and accepted evil.  God gave us a choice of whom we serve, whom we call our Father.

Grazer, only Adam was created in God's image. We were created from the image of the fallen world.

I agree Seek ye first, we are saved by Grace, thank God for his precious Son Jesus!!! Even when we accept Jesus as our savior, He knows we are still going to fall down and make mistakes. We are to ask forgiveness, repent (turn away from that sin), and strive to live a life that is pleasing in his sight. We all have things we struggle with, that's our human side, but He is ever so present, to lead us and guide us. His mercys never ending. His Love is so great, beyond anything we could ever imagine. God Bless you all !!! Thank you Jesus for this sight !!!!!!

I agree that we are not all children of God. He only has his special chosen... ...

Janie - You are absolutely right and His special chosen ones are : Whosoever comes to him. Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord with a broken/contrite heart over their sin will be saved.

Whoever repents and receives Christ as Lord and Savior is by Grace saved.  

It sounds nice, comforting, and reassuring to say we are ALL "God's children," each and every one of us, without exception, believer and unbeliever alike.  God made all of us.  We are all his created beings (Colossians 1:16).  In Acts 17:28-34, the Apostle Paul, in his Sermon on Mars Hill, referred to those gathered as "God's offspring," and some of them became followers of Jesus Christ.  Others, however, were skeptical and sneered at Paul's account of the resurrection of Christ.

If we are all "God's offspring" or "children of God," it is only in the sense of being created by God and the descendants of Adam and Eve.  But, I would strongly caution against using this phrase.  It implies and may be misconstrued by many to provide a false sense of security.  They may wrongly assume that if "we are all God's children," salvation is possible without faith in Christ.  This is wrongheaded thinking that goes against the Word of God.  Although God's desire is that all would be saved (1 Timothy 2:3-4). John 3:18 minces no words in assuring us that "whoever believes in him is not condemned," and that those who reject him are condemned.

The question we should be asking is, "How do we become children of God?"  Because of our corrupt and fallen nature, we are lost, and do not becomes his "heirs," recipients of his free redemptive gift of grace and eternal life until we come to a saving faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior (John 3:16).  It is only then that we are adopted by God, becoming his children in the fullest and truest sense, according to the Word of God. 

1 John 3:10, posted by Marshall, distinguishes between "children of God" and "children of the devil."  See also John 8:44.  For what it is worth, Ephesians 2:3 calls the unregenerate "children of wrath."   Here are more passages, in addition to those already posted by others, which answer Tammy's question: "Are we ALL children of God?"

• Romans 9:8 (NET):  This means it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God; rather, the children of promise are counted as descendants.

• Galatians 3:26-29 (NIV):  So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female,for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
  • Romans 8:14 (NIV): For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

• Romans 8:16-17 (ESV): The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
We are also all Abraham's descendants but did any of us ever get Abraham's cattle or tents? ;-) Being descended from God doesn't mean we inherent his house. But our father left instructions on how to claim our inheritance.

Seek,

Not exactly. God told us that we are lost and destined to hell. That we are born with the fallen nature and apart from Him. He told us how we can be forgiven, saved, justified and regenerated which is part of the born again process. When we transfer from death to life we "become" children of God and then have standing with God that qualifies us for the inheritance promised to His children and only to His children.

The reason I have responded is that the way you have worded the above it tends to put the focus on getting the stuff (even if you did not mean to), when our goal is Jesus and new life. The stuff comes as a benefit to having received new life in Christ, but is always secondary to having Christ.

Lord Bless,

LT

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service