All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure my question has already been discussed in this forum but I can't find it, so here it is again:

According to 1 John 5:16 there is sin that does not lead to death and we are to pray for those who commit it. I thought the consequence of sin was death...

Is he talking about sinning against the Holy Spirit? I have heard that sinning against the Spirit is translated in denying it, what does this mean? I thought there wasn't a worse sin than another and that all our sins where could be forgiven?

Thank you.

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello sis,

The best explanation i have found and which the Spirit of the Lord has led me to believe as well through my own studies is the one by John MaCarthur.

John 5:16-17

>>John illustrates praying according to God's will with the specific example of the "sin leading to death." Such a sin could be any premeditated and unconfessed sin that causes the Lord to determine to end a believer's life. It is not one particular sin like homosexuality or lying, but whatever sin is the final one in the tolerance of God. Failure to repent of and forsake sin may eventually lead to physical death as judgment of God. (Acts 5:1-11; 1 Cor. 5:5; 11:30) No intercessory prayer will be effective for those who have committed such deliberate high-handed sin. God's discipline with physical death is inevitable in such cases as He seeks to preserve the purity of His church. The contrast to the phrase "there is sin leading to death" with "there is sin not leading to death" signifies that the writer distinguishes between sins that may lead to physical death and those that do not. That is not to identify a certain kind of mortal or non-mortal sin, but to say not all sins are so judged by God. EOQ

Abrazos hermana. Mi Senor te Bendiga :)
Gracias David, I understand perfectly now, we are talking about habitual sinful acts again. Thank you very much.

Un abrazo Davidin.
You know people, I love all of you and respect your beliefs, but I do have somewhat of a problem with this line of thinking about sin in light of the Word of God.

What do we do with the scriptures that says, And I know there are several but just a few that I would like some explanation on.

#1.God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself not imputing their trespasses against them,? 2Cor.5:19

#2. Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. ? Rom 4:8

#3. Sin shall not have dominion over you? Rom 6:14

#4. What so ever is not of faith is sin, Ro.14:14-23 Especially the 22nd & 23rd verses.
This is explaining what sin is.

#5. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. Matthew 12:31-32
This is telling us that the only sin that will not be forgiven.

And the other one "Sin" that will send you to hell is, not accepting Jesus Christ, the sacrificial Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the World, as your savior!

#6.
And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. John 12:47

So the way I see it the day of judgment is not here yet.

When I read things like this, it tells me that the church still have a sin consciousness, which I see in Heb. 10:2
For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. I am not advocating sin, nor am I minimizing the effects of it, but I do see God’s grace as being much more powerful than sin.
So why do we try to preach the law of sin and death, and bring us back into bondage again, rather than God’s Grace and life? Liberty and freedom "The good news of the gospel" to which we have been called.
I love what Paul said in 1Cor.2:1-5,

Where sin abound, God’s Grace does much more abound. Ro.5:20 ( to paraphrase)

Study to show yourselves approved, 2 Tim.2:15

Blessing to all that have ears to hear!

Joe
The sin that leads to death seems to me to be able to committed only by those who have knowledge and understanding of God's Word concerning Jesus. Notice Hebrews 6:4-6: It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, [5] who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, [6] if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

This, of course, would be someone who came close to a saving knowledge of Jesus but never completed the process of salvation. He has been offered the free gift but rejects it in favor of personal prospects of gain. Who could qualify for such? Perhaps an example could be a person who learns well the Gospel only to profit by it. I have read articles by unbelievers who seemingly completely understood the Gospel only to mock it. Maybe someone decides to use the Gospel to become rich. Maybe they might stage miracles and such to get people to give to their cause. I read an article on evolution by an author that wrote of grace but had completely rejected it in favor of his complete atheistic scientific theory.

When we see a brother involved in sin. We are encouraged to pray for that person as that sin will cause him harm but not death. For instance, smoking or over-eating may lead to physical but not spiritual death.

I don't believe that refusing to accept Jesus as Savior qualifies for this sin that leads to death. However, the ultimate rejection of Christ once having been giving understanding by the Spirit does.
Quote"
don't believe that refusing to accept Jesus as Savior qualifies for this sin that leads to death. However, the ultimate rejection of Christ once having been giving understanding by the Spirit does.

What ever is not of faith is sin, then, Christ must be accepted by faith, that would quality as one of the sins that would send a person to hell. Along with the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost
Not just the cessation of this life, But eternal death. Over eating, smoking etc. I agree will bring on an early death in this life, but not the total seperation from God.
Smoking will just make you smell like you have been there.
However I do believe there can come a time when we could just keep rejecting the leading of the Holy Spirit to quit these things, our conscience will become seared or our hearts become so hard that we can not hear Him pleading with us anymore. Read Isa.59.…
Love Ya Roy, call me some time and we can discuss this. OK?
Joe

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service