All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone could tell what the difference is between Roman Catholics and Protestants? What sets these two types of Christianity apart and what beliefs are different? Thanks.

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course "protestantism" covers from Lutheran to Reformed Baptist so that's very broad.

On the Bible:
Both believe that it is the inerrant word of God. Protestants believe the bible to be the final authority on all things Christian but Roman Catholics hold traditions and the words of the pope ( when he speaks ex-cathedra Sp?) as having the same authority as the bible.

God:
Both believe in the Triune God: Father, Son, ad Spirit

Salvation:
Mainstream Protestantism: By grace through faith
Roman Catholics: By grace through faith and works

On Mary:
P:Blessed mother of our Lord Jesus Christ, a sinner in need of salvation, a great example of humility, had other children besides Christ.
RC: "Mother of God" Sinless, above all creation, an intercessor for us, remained a virgin though married and mother of all as God is the Father of all

On communion
P: A symbolic reminder of the atoning sacrifice
RC: eating and drinking the very blood of Christ, the bread and wine turns into the literal blood and flesh of the Christ. Lutherans believe the presence of Christ is in the bread and wine, although they remain blood and wine

On prayer:
To God alone
To God and whatever patron saint specializes in that area

On the after life:
P:Heaven or Hell
RC: Heaven, Hell, Purgatory (once believed in limbo)

Baptism:
P:not necessary for salvation
RC: necessary for salvation

These are some of the general things that we disagree on, though they may seem tedious, they determine how we live out our faith and view God.
I read this post and the replies yesterday and thought 'hmm interesting' but was not inspired to reply - until this morning in church. At some point during the sermon I suddenly thought 'perspective - that's the difference' We all worship the same God, we just do it in different ways. And as long as we all accept Jesus as our saviour it doesn't matter. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ
Thanks everyone - I've just become so confused lately, because at first I decided I'm not going to belong to any actual religion, like Catholicism, and just be a Christian following the Word of God. But then I felt like I should be a part of something - I mean, if I were to go to Church, which one would I go to?

I really like what you said Roz, about how the difference is 'perspective'. :)

Maybe I'm geared more towards Protestantism, as you said Phabs that they see the Bible to be the final authority - that's what I believe.

Hmmm...
GMOW,

I would challenge you not to look at institutions, but seek Christ. Follow Him. Labels are fairly meaningless.

Rome was one of 7 of the ancient regional bishop-led churches that came after the apostolic period. Protestants were a movement that broke away from Rome, much later. To see the world in terms of only those two movements would be to miss more than a thousand years of church history that PREDATES the conflict; as well as missing what God is doing today.

There are many reasons why each has strengths and weaknesses. Some of those are from God, some are from men.

I would challenge you to seek Christ: intensely seek him in his word and intensely seek him in prayer. Ask him to lead you. I am confident that he will.

I was born into a Catholic family, but became a protestant later when I first turned to Christ. Since then, I have shaken off labels and seek to be identified with Christ alone. I go to a wonderful church where the Spirit of God is leading us. But I don't follow the church. I seek to follow Christ.

I would commend the same to you. He is real, and he is able to guide you.
Thankyou for your advice - I will do exactly as you have said, because it really is in the end about following Christ - that's all that matters, not whether you're a Catholic or not.
Check out this site. I think they show the differences really well - http://www.gotquestions.org/difference-Catholic-Protestant.html

I wish you well on your journey!
Roman Catholicism has some doctrines that are not taught in Scripture. So please be wary. Check out their beliefs and see for yourself if the RCC has any teachings that contradict what God has revealed in His word, the Holy Bible.
Scribe--what excellent advice!
Spoken from a true believer following Christ and not hung up on 'religion' I agree--look to the son (Jesus Christ)and all the rest will follow. After all didn't he say, 'I am the way, the truth and the light, noone comes to the father, but through me'

Phabs--I was raised Catholic and am now not one. In my opinion and from experience, you have rightfully named all the differences between the two and I am sure this helps anyone who is searching.

In reply to goingmyownway-- it is hard to find a church that is not of any denomination, or made up of man's rules and traditions--my advice is to read, read and meditate on God's word--the bible (watch out for the newer translations because they add or leave out words, etc--)and like Scribe advised, you can never go wrong if you follow Christ and focus on him and not any man or specific religion. Most importantly!! and what I have struggled with myself, get plugged into with other born-again believers, who follow Christ and demonstrate a desire to be in the word. Fellowship is very important, because everyone who is saved has a very real enemy, who hates them and seeks to destroy them--Satan. It is important to stay with the flock and not try and go it alone. We all need each other.

In Christ,
Donna

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service