All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I'm interested in finding out what we can do to help TheNET grow faster both in terms of numbers of members and the number of people interacting online at the same time.

On average we see 7 new members every day and about 8 online at once.

Is there something we should change or do that we aren't doing now?

Is there something we are doing that we should stop doing?

New members or visitors, what are your first impressions of TheNET?

Views: 385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Roz,

I have to disagree with you on this one (and not only because I have a stupid pic as my avatar :-) ).

We created TheNET because we have, on average, 300 people everyday who are indicating they are receiving Christ as Savior for the first time. We created this site for brand-new believers that don't know anything about the Bible, the church or Christianity. Many of these people are wary because they don't know what they are getting into by joining TheNET. It could be a cult for all they know. We don't want to put a stumbling block in their way or turn them away at the outset by forcing them to put up their picture or use their real name.

At any rate, it is only intelligent to use caution when putting any kind of personal information on the web because of predators, abuse, identity theft and the like. We should use wisdom and prudence on TheNET and for some that means using an avatar or a pseudonymn. So, I don't think it has much to do with "standing up and being counted" or being ashamed to be a Christian.

By using the same logic, let me point out that there is nothing in the Bible that prohibits us from calling ourselves something different or using an object, picture or symbol to represent ourselves.

I think you are jumping to the wrong conclusion that people who do this are "frightened", when they may be merely be having fun or being silly (as is the case with me). At any rate, calling someone's picture "stupid" is not a way to encourage new believers and demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ for them. Perhaps you would like to reconsider your statement.

Sincerely,

Greg
TheNET Coordinator
Standing up and being counted here:
Amen!

Roz, I am well known for being the Christian guy among people who know me. Although I sometimes wonder how the Lord puts up with me being counted in his camp, I'm not ashamed to be called a Christian.

However, there are PLENTY of nut jobs out there who relish the idea of making your life miserable. When it comes to the internet and the vast amount of time some of them have available - there is no end to the trouble that can be caused by a small set of Cyber-stalkers. Therefore, I highly recommend that a person NOT use their personal identity in any public forum on the internet.
Hum...Most of the comments on this page cover the things I was thinking to say. It would be good if mature Christians would always pause & ask the Lord if everything they are getting ready to post, is what needs to be said! It's great that so many have such extensive Biblical knowledge & love for the Word, but, sometimes young Christians can feel 'slammed', 'choked' or just intimidated by TOO MUCH scripture in one post. If we are to encourage babes in Christ to grow & florish & share what God is doing in them, we must become more RELATIONAL. That can only be accomplished by keeping a humble & teachable spirit ourselves and striving to maintain the bond of unity in the Spirit of peace.
It's nice to have a picture & see a friendly face. It makes it easier to feel connected to your new friends, but I understand what's being said about using wisdom. All the people who visit these sites are NOT born-again believers! There are people who would seek to take advantage of the unsuspecting. Single girls, especially, be careful of posting personal info. to friends, that any stranger could use to take advantage of you. (Just a mother's advice!) The one thing I noticed about this site, as in comparision to Facebook, is that you can view ANYONE"S page without being accepted by them, as a friend. As reguards to people reading other's testamonies, I think this is a GOOD thing! There is a strong prayer covering & we need not live in fear, but let's not forget to think wisely.
Just a thought to Roz; some people have no pictures of themselves & have no way of getting on one their page. Many in the world have a different social-economic background and would love to show their faces, but can't. I think you are right tho, people like to have a face to relate to. It's only natural!

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service