All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I have done a lot of thinking and praying.  I keep getting the feeling that I should leave.  For that reason I'm gradually deleting my writings.

Views: 877

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

PS It's up to you whether you leave the post or take it down. We all have sin to overcome. Confessing sin is mostly something between the individual and God -- to confess one's sins to God is simply to agree with God about the sins. We might turn to a chosen trusted few sharing our failures and sins and asking for help by prayers, and we have James 5:16 which in context is about confessing to people whom we have wronged as Gill points out:

"Confess your faults one to another,.... Which must be understood of sins committed against one another; which should be acknowledged, and repentance for them declared, in order to mutual forgiveness and reconciliation; and this is necessary at all times, and especially on beds of affliction, and when death and eternity seem near approaching: wherefore this makes nothing for auricular confession, used by the Papists; which is of all sins, whereas this is only of such by which men offend one another; that is made to priests, but this is made by the saints to one another, by the offending party to him that is offended, for reconciliation, whereby a good end is answered; whereas there is none by the other, and very often bad consequences follow." http://biblehub.com/james/5-16.htm
There are different discussions here regarding the topic you've mentioned (masturbation) and addressing whether or not it is a sin, and, for you, it does sound like sin if only for the fact that you are under conviction for it. I'm not saying I believe it's in the Romans 14 category, but I am saying, for you, it appears to be a stumbling block for some reason or another, in your journey with God, since it's an action that brings guilt and shame. However, it also appears to me that many of your statements about it do seek to justify it, such as not being sure if it is actually sin, (e.g, If the Bible is telling a man that masturbation is a sin, then in my opinion it might as well tell a man that going to the bathroom is a sin. Because I've noticed within own body, that those two desires are very closely related

No need to reply here to me, but in prayer and conversation between you and God, seek His answer of whether or not you are sinning against him in these things. It is only God Who can give you the help you need, anyway. We sow and water. The outcome is in His hands.

I encourage you to start a new discussion about the topic itself and encourage our getting back to the particular topic of this discussion, which appears to be
"You don't earn your salvation but maybe you keep it through works."

I will add one other thought. In a recent letter to a family member who struggled with lifelong alcoholism, I wrote to him, telling him,

... Just like I have, and like everyone else who truly believes in Jesus, I know you have felt conviction from God when you have sinned. I'm not saying God is OK with sin. God hates sin, all sin. Any sin, in His eyes, is worthy of Hell, whether it's a big sin or a small sin in our own eyes, but we all have sinned.

Habits are like addictions. There are many addictions, such as food, shopping, alcohol, and so on. Anything that becomes used excessively and is habit forming is therefore something that the person has a dependency on.

Why do people become addicted? The roots are often found in painful life experiences. Life is so difficult. An addiction is a compulsive need to repeat an experience and can be physical or psychological. An alcoholic will have withdrawal symptoms, and that is part of the physical addiction, but the cravings for alcohol are part of the psychological addiction to it.

I've been seeking to limit my caffeine. So I've been using decaf coffee. I make only one pot of regular coffee a day now, in the mornings ... and the rest of the day it's decaf. I crave the taste, but, also, it comforts me. That might sound weird, but I guess you've heard of "comfort foods" such as macaroni, chocolate, ice cream, and the reason people reach for them is because they feel sad... It's the same for me only I reach for coffee for comfort. Loneliness, sadness, feeling down -- there are many reasons why people seek out comfort. I think you always turned to alcohol.

God forgives us when we believe in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection and ask Him to save us, and God will take us to be with Him when we leave this life, but there are natural consequences for sinning. God doesn't always choose to keep us from experiencing the natural consequences or heal us.

He died in July from end stage liver disease.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

"In reply Jesus declared, 'I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again'" (John 3:3).

"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'" (John 14:6).

"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, 'Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame'" (Romans 10:9-11).

"And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again" (2 Corinthians 5:15).

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20).
PS I didn't watch the video.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service