All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

What is love?

It is one of the most difficult questions for the mankind. Centuries have passed by, relationships have bloomed and so has love. But no one can give the proper definition of love. To some Love is friendship set on fire for others Maybe love is like luck. You have to go all the way to find it. No matter how you define it or feel it, love is the eternal truth in the history of mankind.  

What is Love?

Is the friends I have, thinks I own?
Be together, share your joy and sorrow, understand each other, provide space to each other, but always be there for each others need. And surely love will blossom to strengthen your relationship with your matter of affection.

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Linda,

I have to disagree. You are attempting to combine two separate things. You are attempting to combine God's love and salvation. There is no doubt that salvation would be impossible without God's love, while at the same time God's love alone does not ensure salvation. The verse simply states what it states and that is God loves the world and those who believe will be saved. The condition is on salvation, not His love. Salvation is available because of His love.

Sin separates us from God, but that does not cause Him to cease loving us.

Please take the time and explain what God means in Mat. 5:43. Are we to love our enemies only when they do God's will? If they are doing God's will are they our enemies? Food for thought.

Lord BLess,
LT
TheNET Coordinator
Linda,

Please re-read my comment. I stated that there is a condition listed. The condition is on salvation not on His love. It appears you missed that.

This has nothing to do with eternal security, so it is not going to follow the path of OSAS.

Lord Bless,
LT
TheNET Coordinator
Linda,

Let's take it back to the original topic of "love" and not take it down the road of one being able to lose their salvation as that is a separate issues from whether God is love.

God is love and because He is love He loves everyone saved and unsaved. He cannot do anything less than love for He is love. His love alone does not save a person and because God is also holy and just.

BTW, I read your comment. His love is not the covenant. the covenant was made because of His love to an underserving people.

Lord Bless,
LT
TheNET Coordinator
You all teach against what I have learned all my life thus far - I don't understand what has happened in the last 25 years.........

I have always been taught that you can loose your salvation and since I am the minority I am reluctant to change it.

Yes God loved us enough to send His son (New Covenant) but we must abide in that covenant - this is what I have always been taught and it makes me sad to think that another way is being taught.

I am not sure I belong here anymore....
Linda,

This is not a new teaching as history attests to that. The difference that you stand against has not risen only in the last 25 years. Whether it is the true teaching only the Bible can attest to that.

Why would you be reluctant to change because you are in the minority? Should not simply the Word be the reason to change if change is required?

Why is it hard to believe that God loves all that He has created? Repeating, that His love alone does not assure salvation. One must come to Him on His terms to be saved.

I have not disrespected you or attacked you. I disagree with your position and I am pointing out why after you chose to enter into this dialogue by disagreeing with me. That is what these forums are intended for. If you think I am wrong enlighten me, because if I am wrong I want to know it and change.

Lord Bless,
LT
TheNET Coordinator
Jacob I loved - Esau I hated.....
Linda,

If hate necessitates absence of love what do we do with this verse?

LK 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple.

Could it be that we do not fully understand the meaning of hate and have applied a human definition to it? Could it be that there is more to it than thinking it is the opposite of love?

Lord Bless,
LT
TheNET Coordinator
LT,

In regard to Luke 14:26 taking into consideration the surrounding verses as in "where your treasure is there your heart is" etc etc:

Here is Wesley's commentation:

Luk 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father - Comparatively to Christ: yea, so as actually to renounce his field, oxen, wife, all things, and act as if he hated them, when they stand in competition with him. Mat_10:37.

To me this is saying that you will either love one or hate the other:

Mat 6:24 No one is able to serve two lords; for either he will hate the one, and he will love the other; or he will cleave to the one, and he will despise the other. You are not able to serve God and wealth.
Mischelle,

Your comments are bolded:

1 John 4:19 KJV says;
“19We love Him, because He first loved us.”

Amen and now we need to abide in His love or remain in His love lest we be cut off - John 15.

I would like to pose the follow question for you to ponder:

What kind of mom would I be if I told one of my sons this? You know you have lied to me; you are no longer my son, leave and never come back.

You would not be loving as the Father in heaven loves – I refer you to the prodigal son. There is always a way back to the love of God – repentance! Then we are restored to that love.

God’s love for us is unconditional, the things that we do for Him are out of love for Him, not because we have to do them but rather because we want to, and not in order to gain salvation or eternity with Him. Our salvation and assurance of heaven was made secure when we accepted Him as our personal Lord and Savior. Does this give us a license to sin, no it does not.

I strongly disagree Mischelle – I believe Jesus laid down a condition when He said, “If you love me you will keep my commandments”. He laid down the condition of abiding in His word and bearing fruit otherwise we would be cut off - John 15. We differ here and the scripture you quote below only confirms obedience to scripture. We have to put the flesh to death.

Paul in Romans 6:1-2 says it like this:

“1WHAT SHALL we say [to all this]? Are we to remain in sin in order that God's grace (favor and mercy) may multiply and overflow?
2Certainly not! How can we who died to sin live in it any longer?” (Amplified Bible)

Should we do the things in the Bible that are said there? Yes by all means yes to the very best of our ability, however, we must do them out of love not out of fear that we will lose our salvation or our place in heaven.

Fear is the beginning of wisdom Mischelle – see Proverbs 111:10, Proverbs 1:7 and Proverbs 9:10. I revere the Lord God Almighty, know that He is consuming fire and cannot be mocked. Yes, perfect love towards Father in obedience does cast out fear – fear of a certain judgment - see Hebrew 10 (but you and others would disagree)

Ephesians 2:8-9 says;

“8For it is by free grace (God's unmerited favor) that you are saved ([a]delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ's salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God;
9Not because of works [not the fulfillment of the Law's demands], lest any man should boast. [It is not the result of what anyone can possibly do, so no one can pride himself in it or take glory to himself.]” (Amplified Bible)

Salvation is a gift; we cannot ever do anything to earn it. What kind of person would I be to give a gift to someone and then take it back because they did something I didn’t like? More importantly, what kind of God would He be if He gave us this FREE GIFT and then took it back?

Amen salvation is a gift – this is true. What kind of God would He be if He gave us this FREE GIFT and then take it back? A JUST GOD WHO HATES SIN! What is an apostate to you Mischelle?

Blessings
Linda Ruth
As you wish Mischelle - you can believe what you believe and I will continue to believe what I believe....

It is wise to leave off as LT stated.
Mischelle,

I will address this:

An apostate is someone who throws the FREE GIFT back in our Daddy’s face and tells Him I don’t want You or Your FREE GIFT. However, notice that the apostate is the one who throws the FREE GIFT back in our Daddy’s face. Daddy, still LOVES the apostate, He just HATES the sin of the apostate. Jesus came to die for the sinner not the saint. Remember the Pharisees and Sadducee s?

with this scripture:

2Th 2:3 Do not let anyone deceive you in any way, because that Day will not come unless first comes the falling away, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

The word for falling away is:

G646
ἀποστασία
apostasia
ap-os-tas-ee'-ah
Feminine of the same as G647; defection from truth (properly the state), (“apostasy”): - falling away, forsake.

Same as G647 which is:

G647
ἀποστάσιον
apostasion
ap-os-tas'-ee-on
Neuter of a (presumed) adjective from a derivative of G868; properly something separative, that is, (specifically) divorce: - (writing of) divorcement.

But notice it is a great falling away. You cannot fall unless you were some place to begin with.

Some commentaries:

Wesley:

2Th 2:3 Unless the falling away - From the pure faith of the gospel, come first. This began even in the apostolic age.

JBF:

a falling away — rather as the Greek, “the falling away,” or “apostasy,” namely, the one of which “I told you” before (2Th_2:5), “when I was yet with you,” and of which the Lord gave some intimation (Mat_24:10-12; Joh_5:43).

Gill:

, of the falling of men from the faith of the Gospel, from the purity of Gospel doctrines, discipline, worship, and ordinances; and this not of some Jews who professed faith in Christ, and departed from it, or of some Christians who went off to the Gnostics; but is to be understood of a more general defection in the times of the Papacy; when not only the eastern churches were perverted and corrupted by Mahomet, and drawn off to his religion, but the western churches were most sadly depraved by the man of sin, by bringing in errors of all sorts in doctrine, making innovations in every ordinance, and appointing new ones, and introducing both Judaism and Paganism into the churches; which general defection continued until the times of the reformation, and is what the apostle has respect to in 1Ti_4:1 where he manifestly points out some of the Popish tenets, as forbidding marriage to priests, and ordering abstinence from meats on certain days, and at certain times of the year: this was one thing that was to precede the coming of Christ, another follows, which should take place at the same time;

Notice the reference to 1Tim 4:1:

1Ti 4:1 But the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, cleaving to deceiving spirits and teachings of demons,

And I could go on......
Wow, I just asked myself a question that has never occurred to me before: "Why do Christians keep debating this?" Syllogistically, the only logical answer is, "Because the Scriptures seem to be contradictory on this subject." And now I have to ask this rhetorical question: "Why?" The Scriptures cannot contradict each other! Brothers and sisters, I must propose to you that the only logical resolution to this question is to look at the Scriptures dispensationally. I propose that under the Dispensation of Law, it was possible to "fall away", but under the current Dispensation of Grace, there is an Unconditional Election unto Salvation. I propose that this Dispensation began when Jesus died.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service