All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

There is way too much useless confusion about these two schools of theology that have more in common than not.This discussions will be done in an effort to clear up some misunderstandings between the 2 major schools of Theology, so we can equip ourselves correctly.

I will give the basics and go a little deep into each system. Roger Olson has written a wonderful book detailing common misconceptions Calvinist hold about Arminians and there are many books also showing how Arminians misunderstand Reformed Theology. This is a very important topic family.

>>Jacobus Arminius (October 10, 1560–October 19, 1609), the Latinized name of the Dutch theologian Jakob Harmenszoon from the Protestant Reformation period, (also known by the Anglicized names of Jacob Arminius or James Arminius), served from 1603 as professor in theology at the University of Leiden. He wrote many books and treatises on theology, and his views became the basis of Arminianism and the Dutch Remonstrant movement.Wesley. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobus_Arminius

>>John Calvin (
Middle French: Jean Cauvin) (10 July 1509 – 27 May 1564) was an influential French theologian and pastor during the Protestant Reformation. He was a principal figure in the development of the system of Christian theology later called Calvinism. Originally trained as a humanist lawyer, he broke from the Roman Catholic Church around 1530. After religious tensions provoked a violent uprising against Protestants in France, Calvin fled to Basel, Switzerland, where in 1536 he published the first edition of his seminal work Institutes of the Christian Religion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Calvin

Feel free to jump in as we discuss the Doctrines of Grace. The order of Salvation, Predestination, Free will, God's election, Limited or unlimited Atonement, Resistible or Irresistible grace etc...

Enjoy!

Views: 834

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Maggie,

>>otherwise why would He say take up your cross and follow Me

Sis all Christians who believe in the Holy Bible regardless of which theological camp they align to believe that we have been saved to live in freedom from sin. No one who believes in the word of God can use our freedom in Christ to stop walking in holiness or fighting against the flesh. Scripture clearly teaches that the Sprit wars against the flesh and that we are to die to the world and life. We are to be separated from the world. We are to put off the old man and put on Christ. So the knowledge that we now belong to God drives one to understand that we belong to Him and our reasonable sacrifice is to OBEY Him.

Calvinism is not another Gospel; it is a different interpretation of the verses of scripture that deal with salvation. One that you are not familiar with. I would recommend again that you take these matters before the Lord and ask Him to reveal to you which interpretation of the verses is correct.

>>if you feel relieved you shouldnt

I am not in the mind of sis Linda, but from what she has shared it is obvious to me that she is relieved of working to be good enough for God and not that she is relieved that now she can go play in the mud. May it never be? If anything now she understands that she has been bought with a price, the blood of Christ and belongs to Him. He will finish what he started in her. She has learned that our salvation is not base on performance, but fully on the finished work of Christ. Our works do have to do with the quality of our lives as Christians, but our works are not meretricious for our justification. We are justified by the life of Christ. This knowledge frees her to now rest and enjoy her Salvation fully, due to the merits of Christ. What should our response be to the knowledge that God's grace is abundant towards us?

Romans 5
Peace and Joy
1T herefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we[also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance... 9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! 10 For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

Our sister has understood that she has been reconciled to God and she will be saved through the life of Christ. Hallelujah. Because He lives, we live. He is able to keep us. So - 1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. Romans 6

>>christianity is a difficult road but calvinism lets everyone off the hook

Christianity is the most beautiful life any human being can experience and it is true that in this life we will have trouble, but we are not alone to face those troubles. Hallelujah!!!

One of the many rules that I live by and now I share with you in love, is the following:

I do not criticize anything I have not deeply or at minimum superficially research. Lets I show my lack of knowledge in the subject and then have to eat my words. I have made it a rule never to judge something without investing on it at least the minimum amount of time it would take to be able to objectively give my opinion about the person, subject or situation. You are making claims you would not be able to prove sis. Calvinism does not let anyone off the hook to live anyway they want. If anything the knowledge you belong to an awesome God that loves you with love we will never fully understand drives us to serve Him and as we understand more of His character and that He is HOLY, HOLY, HOLY we realized that He hates sin and He will not be mocked. He will correct His own. Calvinist are reading the same bible you are reading. Beloved I would suggest that you approach the subject through a diffent channel. For instance, I would have said: It appears to me that Calvinism is letting people off the hook, Is that what you are saying? You see that is more conducive for discussion. :)

>>scripture does not imply predestination.

Romans 8:29
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Romans 8:30
Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

Ephesians 1:5
having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,

Ephesians 1:11
In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,

Matthew 20:16
So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.”

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

>>do you believe God is so unjust He would send babies to hell?

Mark 10:14
But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.

>>was some of Christ blood wasted on the rest of mankind?

By saying that Christ died for His church or His sheep we are confirming that Christ blood was not wasted. However if we say that Christ blood was shade for every individual and is up to every individual's choice to chose Christ as He is being convicted by the Sprit, then what about if no one chooses Christ? His blood would truly be wasted then? What makes those that chose God better than the ones that don't chose him. Did the Spirit worked on them in a way that He did not work on the others? Why do some believe and others don't. If we leave salvation up to man, then there exist a REAL possibility that no one would choose Christ and then His sacrifice was truly wasted. By saying that Christ died for the elect and that the offer is on the table for every human to believe we do not murder the character of God.

>>otherwise how could you show compassion for those you are not sure they are elect?

In the wisdom of God, God has chosen not to reveal to us who the chosen, who are all over the world, are. He has instead commanded us to go throughout the world and make disciples.

>>if you totally believe in sovereignty then you cannot sin independently of God so ultimately it is His fault not yours.

The above is a misunderstanding of God's sovereignty and man's granted liberty. We do have free will, but a free will that is always subject to God's sovereignty. God has the freedom as creator to step into our lives and redirect sinners as well as believers or to allow us to use the freedom He has given us to do what we want. However a bible student understands that God in order for God to be able to turn all things around for His glory His permissive will had to allow something’s to happen. Some of those things are sinful things. God does allow sin for now, but it will not always be like that. Does God allow in us to sin, make Him guilty of our sin? Nope! We are fully responsible for our sin, not God.

I implore with you beloved to take this matters before the Lord and to keep reading here and make your biblical assessments once you have grasp better what we are trying to convey. By all means continue to challenge the views you feel should be challenge and by all means ask as many questions as you would like. I truly welcome them. Your posts are a blessing beloved. This one included, because they allow us to touch on the issues we are now talking about. You have a warrior Spirit and that is good. You have zeal for doctrinal purity and that is precious sis.

I love you Sister Maggie and thank you for your boldness to stand up for the truth as you see it. Bear with us a little longer and take these matters before the Lord.

Blessings
My sister Maggie,

I cannot nor am I trying to convince you of these matters. It took me a long time to break through what you are feeling and believing to be the right interpretation. To be honest with you, I am still trying to find a way to make scripture say that God indeed died for every single human being the way you and so many others understand it. But I have not been successful. I mean, I believed what you believe to be the correct interpretation of the verses dealing with salvation, for most of my Christian life.

Before learning to interpret the bible as I do now in the matters of how a person is saved, I found way too many verses that did not make sense to me, if Christ did die for the whole world, why the abundance of verses that say the opposite? I was not able to reconcile a couple of verses that say that Christ die for the world with the multitude of verses that scream something else (the opposite) at me. Like most I would pray and ask God for understanding. It was obvious to me that God had chosen me. It was obvious that he predestined me according to His foreknowledge. So I took it upon myself to study first and foremost how Foreknowledge is use when connected with God. (Please read the Article I will place here on Foreknowledge and tell me what you think).

I cannot convince you of these things my friend and I am completely ok with you telling me you will never believe this interpretation of scripture. Is ok, you are still my sister. You are still chosen by God to be conformed to His image. I don't think God is upset with either camp. If anything He must think, hahaha oh man I really got them going with the conflict they see between freewill and sovereignty, not in a malicious way, of course, God is Holy. God knows our hearts and our struggles.

I am not telling anyone to become a Calvinist. I am simply, as I stated from the beginning trying to objectively inform the church of the two major schools of theology. There are others but they are so minute in comparison that I thought it would be good to try to do away with the useless confusion about these two schools of theology. They have more in common than not.

I never called myself a Calvinist or Reformer and never did call myself an Arminian. I am a child of God, simple as that. No more to it. A child of God. Bible believing, Holy Ghost indwelt servant of the most high God. In this discussion i do say i align better with the system Calvin instituted from what he determine scripture was teaching. I do also called myself a Reformed theologian in this discussion for the purposes to simplified which interpretation i align to, but that is not how I desire to be known. I am simply a student of the word, trying to bring Glory to my king. As all of us are.

>>a different interpretation of the bible????????????

>> James Arminius, professor of Divinity at Leyden, was trained in Geneva in the Reformed (Calvinist) tradition. Around 1591 he began to question some of Calvin's teachings, and soon openly taught and wrote in opposition to Calvin. Arminius' writings and teaching gained a considerable following, but brought him no real trouble from the Calvinist majority. However, shortly after his death, the Reformed Church launched a crusade against all prominent persons who were considered "Arminian" in theology. The Council of Dort was allegedly convened for the Arminians to present their arguments against Calvinism in a fair hearing. They were not aware that in reality it was their "Protestant Inquisition" or "heresy trial." The Five Articles of Remonstrance (five grievances) were prepared by the Arminian defendants to present their disagreement with the Church's official Calvinist stand. The five articles outlined the main points where Arminians objected to Calvin's theology. Essentially, they affirmed that man has a free will and the God-given capacity to choose to accept or reject God's efforts to save Him. And, that Christ died for all men, not merely a select group. Tim Warner - 10/2003

There are two major interpretations of the text of scripture dealing with our salvation, your way of interpreting it and my way of interpreting it. Your interpretation of the bible is also known "as a different interpretation of the bible" by millions and it has been consider heresy since its beginnings. So we can both shoot at each those charges, but that is not what my intentions are. I only wish to inform the church about the two different interpretations and hope that they take the two views before the Lord and ask Him to guide them to all truth.

>>we will know the chosen david by their fruit. how can you say you cannot know the chosen.

Yes once someone is saved, we can tell who is saved by their fruit. But among unbelievers I do not know who God has chosen to save.

>>if predestination were true then you have no cross to bear for it has been decided for you

The fact that a person has been chosen for salvation does not annihilate the fact that the person must live in holiness and abide in Christ to be free from sin.

>>as for Christ blood being wasted He died for all mankind and if they don’t accept the invitation it makes hell make sense

Hell still makes sense even if God has chosen to give some grace. The others do not receive injustice. They simply get justice. We all deserve hell, but God has chosen to save some.

In love my sis. Your brother in the faith.
I think it would be wise to look at both the Arminian and Reformed teachings side by side.

My insertions will be in bold letters and brackets. Some Reformers insist that the main tenant of the Arminian position if man's free will, but i do not believe that to be true. For the Arminian love is the dominant attribute of God and for the Calvinist sovereignty is. Both believe in love and sovereignty, but the two sides give a higher priority to one or the other. The Arminian cannot accept the Calvinist conception of election and predestination because to them it violates their idea of what a loving God would look like. Reformers need to understand that Arminians are not just using God's love for His creation to reject Calvinism, but they truly and sincerly believe the way God is painted by the Reformers does damage to God's character. We need to respect that view.

Both camps believe strongly in the love of God, but Reformers understand that there is a higher priority with God than His creation, mainly His Glorification. So if God's pirority is not to save humanity, but to demonstrate His Glory through the salvation of His creation, i and most Calvinists are going to tend to interpret love in light of sovereignty more so than the Arminian.

Arminianism-Free-Will or Human Ability

Although human nature was seriously affected by the fall, man has not been left in a state of total spiritual helplessness. [Some Arminians believe as the previous sentence, but the majority believe in man's total depravity and agreed with Previnient Grace to explain how a spiritual dead person can use their free will to accept or reject God's offer of salvation]God graciously enables sinners to repent and believe, but He does not interfere with man's freedom. Each person possesses a free will, and his eternal destiny depends on how he uses it. Man's freedom consists of his ability to choose good over evil in spiritual matters; (aided by the Holy Spirit) his will is not enslaved to his sinful nature. [again not all Arminians believe that, some do agree with Total Depravity and understand that man's will is enslaved to his sinful nature] The sinner has the power to either cooperate with God's Spirit and be regenerated or resist God's grace and perish. [only by the assistance of the Holy Spirit through conviction] The lost sinner needs the Spirit's assistance, but he does not have to be regenerated by the Spirit before he can believe, for faith is man's act and precedes the new birth. Faith is the sinner's gift to God; it is man's contribution to salvation.

Calvinism-Total Inability or Total Depravity

Because of the fall, man is unable of himself to savingly believe the gospel. The sinner is dead, blind, and deaf to the things of God; his heart is deceitful and desperately corrupt. His will is not free, it is in bondage to his evil nature, therefore, he will not - indeed he cannot - choose good over evil in the spiritual realm. Consequently, it takes much more than the Spirit's assistance to bring a sinner to Christ - it takes regeneration by which the Spirit makes the sinner alive and gives him a new nature. Faith is not something man contributes to salvation but is itself a part of God's gift of salvation - it is God's gift to the sinner, not the sinner's gift to God.

David N. Steele and Curtis Thomas, are Baptist ministers in Little Rock, Arkansas. Their contrast of the Five Points of Calvinism with the Five Points of Arminianism is one of the clearest and most concise.
It makes perfect sense sis Linda,

As we learn about God's sovereignty in His decrees for the elect, the verses that we so often read and love do take on a deeper meaning as we realize that we did not perceived their complete beauty before. Now those verses that we knew still had more honey for us to savor are currently rendering their sweetness to us. And like a puzzle, the picture the Master Designer has web into His living word comes alive.

God is God, Holy and perfect in all His ways. He is not unjust and His perfect choices are beyong are finite minds to understand fully. We can rest in the knowledge that He is good.

Blessings
The key to the verses in Duet is that His choice had nothing to do with anything they had or had not done. He does not choose based on our assumptions of who He would choose. Sometimes He chooses the weakest - not the strongest. Sometimes He chooses the poorest - not the richest; the least famous - and so on.

Are you the one no one loves? Well, you are a great candidate for the King of all Kings. Jesus saves us in spite of us - not because of us.

2 Ti 1:8-11

8 So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us to a holy life — not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10 but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. NIV

He did not set His love upon you because of anything you have done. He has a purpose. His ways are not our ways. He just was not required to get our permission to do what He has done. His plan did not need to pass our test for righteousness or justice.

It is wrong for us to attempt to redefine God according to our criteria.

A great post, Linda.
Roy
Linda,

You might be surprised. It may represent how the Lord sees us.

Also, the purpose of God through Israel was a chosen nation to bring us His Law and His Son. Every person was important to His plan. However, those purposes are fulfilled and now we do have His Son. His attention is now on the Gentile nations that will come to Him through Christ. However, He still has a remnant of Israel that has come to Jesus. He will once again when the full number of Gentiles come in focus on Israel but now we are all one in Him. There is no Jew or Greek, male or female, slave or free. All come to Him in the exact same way even though some Jews will still insist that there is a difference between Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians. Paul addresses this issue in Romans:

Ro 3:1-2
3:1 What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? 2 Much in every way! First of all, they have been entrusted with the very words of God. NIV

Ro 9:3-5
3 For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, 4 the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. 5 Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen. NIV

Ro 11:28-32

28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29 for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God's mercy to you. 32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all. NIV

We are just beginning our journey of understanding God's eternal purpose. His purpose in Israel is not over. What is His eternal purpose for us? We are only just beginning. We have an eternity to get to know Him more.

I think it is wrong to assume that I have to figure everything out about God. If He says He chose me, I going to receive that with thanksgiving and praise. I really don't think it is my obligation to explain Him to the world. I know just enough but learning more. Knowing Jesus is enough. However, I do want to know Him more.

Lord, in Jesus name give Linda rest.

Roy

Roy
Arminianism-The Holy Spirit Can Be Effectually Resisted

The Spirit calls inwardly all those who are called outwardly by the gospel invitation; He does all that He can to bring every sinner to salvation. But inasmuch as man is free, he can successfully resist the Spirit's call. The Spirit cannot regenerate the sinner until he believes; faith (which is man's contribution) proceeds and makes possible the new birth. Thus, man's free will limits the Spirit in the application of Christ's saving work. The Holy Spirit can only draw to Christ those who allow Him to have His way with them. Until the sinner responds, the Spirit cannot give life. God's grace, therefore, is not invincible; it can be, and often is, resisted and thwarted by man.

Calvinism- The Efficacious Call of the Spirit or Irresistible Grace

In addition to the outward general call to salvation which is made to everyone who hears the gospel, the Holy Spirit extends to the elect a special inward call that inevitably brings them to salvation. The internal call (which is made only to the elect) cannot be rejected; it always results in conversion. By means of this special call the Spirit irresistibly draws sinners to Christ. He is not limited in His work of applying salvation by man's will, nor is He dependent upon man's cooperation for success. The Spirit graciously causes the elect sinner to cooperate, to believe, to repent, to come freely and willingly to Christ. God's grace, therefore, is invincible; it never fails to result in the salvation of those to whom it is extended.
In addition to the outward general call to salvation which is made to everyone who hears the gospel, the Holy Spirit extends to the elect a special inward call that inevitably brings them to salvation. The internal call (which is made only to the elect) cannot be rejected; it always results in conversion.

O, the beauty of His love, the graciousness of His call. These words are music in my ears. They rapture me. Just the idea that He will never fail gives me reason to shout His praises. Jesus is the glorious conquerer.
Arminianism-Falling from Grace

[Not all Armian hold to loosing your salvation]
Those who believe and are truly saved can lose their salvation by failing to keep up their faith, etc. All Arminians have not been agreed on this point; some have held that believers are eternally secure in Christ - that once a sinner is regenerated, he can never be lost.

Calvinism- Perseverance of the Saints

All who are chosen by God, redeemed by Christ, and given faith by the Spirit are eternally saved. They are kept in faith by the power of Almighty God and thus persevere to the end.

According to Arminianism:

Salvation is accomplished through the combined efforts of God (who takes the initiative) and man (who must respond) - man's response being the determining factor. God has provided salvation for everyone, but His provision becomes effective only for those who, of their own free will, "choose" to cooperate with Him and accept His offer of grace. At the crucial point, man's will plays a decisive role; thus man, not God, determines who will be recipients of the gift of salvation.

According to Calvinism:

Salvation is accomplished by the almighty power of the Triune God. The Father chose a people, the Son died for them, the Holy Spirit makes Christ's death effective by bringing the elect to faith and repentance, thereby causing them to willingly obey the gospel. The entire process (election, redemption, regeneration) is the work of God and is by grace alone. Thus God, not man, determines who will be the recipients of the gift of salvation.

David N. Steele and Curtis Thomas, are Baptist ministers in Little Rock, Arkansas. Their contrast of the Five Points of Calvinism with the Five Points of Arminianism is one of the clearest and most concise.
Eph 1:13-14
13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession — to the praise of his glory. NIV

Your inheritance in Him comes with an iron-clad guarantee. Aren't you glad it's not up to you? We do not know what is the criteria for His election. We do know it is righteous and just because that is Who HE is. He is our Father. We trust Him to do all things right. And most of you know that if He didn't do it for you, it would never get done. How many of you out there are procrastinators? How many of you take short cuts - there can be no short cuts here. How many of you are slack? Is there anyone out there that needs some help? Is there anyone out there ready to say, "O, Jesus, just please do this for me?" If you will just turn yourselves over to Him, He will take you and do something wonderful with you. Quit trying to do it for Him. You can't do His job anyway. It is just too hard.
From: http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Attributes/attrib_04.htm

THE ATTRIBUTES OF GOD
4. THE FOREKNOWLEDGE OF GOD

What controversies have been engendered by this subject in the past! But what truth of Holy Scripture is there which has not been made the occasion of theological and ecclesiastical battles? The deity of Christ, His virgin birth, His atoning death, His second advent; the believer’s justification, sanctification, security; the church, its organization, officers, discipline; baptism, the Lord’s supper, and a score of other precious truths might be mentioned. Yet, the controversies which have been waged over them did not close the mouths of God’s faithful servants; why, then, should we avoid the vexed question of God’s Foreknowledge, because, forsooth, there are some who will charge us with fomenting strife? Let others contend if they will, our duty is to bear witness according to the light vouchsafed us.

There are two things concerning the Foreknowledge of God about which many are in ignorance: the meaning of the term, its Scriptural scope. Because this ignorance is so widespread, it is an easy matter for preachers and teachers to palm off perversions of this subject, even upon the people of God. There is only one safeguard against error, and that is to be established in the faith; and for that, there has to be prayerful and diligent study, and a receiving with meekness the engrafted Word of God. Only then are we fortified against the attacks of those who assail us. There are those today who are misusing this very truth in order to discredit and deny the absolute sovereignty of God in the salvation of sinners. Just as higher critics are repudiating the Divine inspiration of the Scriptures; evolutionists, the work of God in creation; so some pseudo Bible teachers are perverting His foreknowledge in order to set aside His unconditional election unto eternal life.

When the solemn and blessed subject of Divine foreordination is expounded, when God’s eternal choice of certain ones to be conformed to the image of His Son is set forth, the Enemy sends along some man to argue that election is based upon the foreknowledge of God, and this "foreknowledge" is interpreted to mean that God foresaw certain ones would be more pliable than others, that they would respond more readily to the strivings of the Spirit, and that because God knew they would believe, He, accordingly, predestinated them unto salvation. But such a statement is radically wrong. It repudiates the truth of total depravity, for it argues that there is something good in some men. It takes away the independency of God, for it makes His decrees rest upon what He discovers in the creature. It completely turns things upside down, for in saying God foresaw certain sinners would believe in Christ, and that because of this, He predestinated them unto salvation, is the very reverse of the truth. Scripture affirms that God, in His high sovereignty, singled out certain ones to be recipients of His distinguishing favors (Acts 13:48), and therefore He determined to bestow upon them the gift of faith. False theology makes God’s foreknowledge of our believing the cause of His election to salvation; whereas, God’s election is the cause, and our believing in Christ is the effect.

Ere proceeding further with our discussion of this much misunderstood theme, let us pause and define our terms. What is meant by "foreknowledge?" "To know beforehand," is the ready reply of many. But we must not jump at conclusions, nor must we turn to Webster’s dictionary as the final court of appeal, for it is not a matter of the etymology of the term employed. What is needed is to find out how the word is used in Scripture. The Holy Spirit’s usage of an expression always defines its meaning and scope. It is failure to apply this simple, rule which is responsible for so much confusion and error. So many people assume they already know the signification of a certain word used in Scripture, and then they are too dilatory to test their assumptions by means of a concordance. Let us amplify this point.

Take the word "flesh." Its meaning appears to be so obvious that many would regard it as a waste of time to look up its various connections in Scripture. It is hastily assumed that the word is synonymous with the physical body, and so no inquiry is made. But, in fact, "flesh" in Scripture frequently includes far more than what is corporeal; all that is embraced by the term can only be ascertained by a diligent comparison of every occurrence of it and by a study of each separate context. Take the word "world." The average reader of the Bible imagines this word is the equivalent for the human race, and consequently, many passages where the term is found are wrongly interpreted. Take the word immortality. Surely it requires no study! Obviously it has reference to the indestructibility of the soul. Ah, my reader, it is foolish and wrong to assume anything where the Word of God is concerned. If the reader will take the trouble to carefully examine each passage where "mortal" and "immortal" are found, it will be seen these words are never applied to the soul, but always to the body.

Now what has just been said on "flesh," the "world," immortality, applies with equal force to the terms know and "foreknow." Instead of imagining that these words signify no more than a simple cognition, the different passages in which they occur require to be carefully weighed. The word "foreknowledge" is not found in the Old Testament. But know occurs there frequently. When that term is used in connection with God, it often signifies to regard with favour, denoting not mere cognition but an affection for the object in view. "I know thee by name" (Ex. 33:17). "Ye have been rebellious against the Lord from the day that I knew you" (Deut. 9:24). "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee" (Jer. 1:5). "They have made princes and I knew it not" (Hos. 8:4). "You only have I known of all the families of the earth" (Amos 3:2). In these passages knew signifies either loved or appointed.

In like manner, the word "know" is frequently used in the New Testament, in the same sense as in the Old Testament. "Then will I profess unto them, I never knew you" (Matt. 7:23). "I am the good shepherd and know My sheep and am known of Mine" (John 10:14). "If any man love God, the same is known of Him" (1 Cor. 8:3). "The Lord knoweth them that are His" (2 Tim. 2:19).

Now the word "foreknowledge" as it is used in the New Testament is less ambiguous than in its simple form "to know." If every passage in which it occurs is carefully studied, it will be discovered that it is a moot point whether it ever has reference to the mere perception of events which are yet to take place. The fact is that "foreknowledge" is never used in Scripture in connection with events or actions; instead, it always has reference to persons. It is persons God is said to "foreknow," not the actions of those persons. In proof of this we shall now quote each passage where this expression is found.

The first occurrence is in Acts 2:23. There we read, "Him being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain." If careful attention is paid to the wording of this verse it will be seen that the apostle was not there speaking of God’s foreknowledge of the act of the crucifixion, but of the Person crucified: "Him (Christ) being delivered by," etc.

The second occurrence is in Romans 8;29,30. "For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image, of His Son, that He might be the Firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He did predestinate, them He also called," etc. Weigh well the pronoun that is used here. It is not what He did foreknow, but whom He did. It is not the surrendering of their wills nor the believing of their hearts but the persons themselves, which is here in view.

"God hath not cast away His people which He foreknew" (Rom. 11:2). Once more the plain reference is to persons, and to persons only.

The last mention is in 1 Peter 1:2: "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father." Who are elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father? The previous verse tells us: the reference is to the "strangers scattered" i.e. the Diaspora, the Dispersion, the believing Jews. Thus, here too the reference is to persons, and not to their foreseen acts.

Now in view of these passages (and there are no more) what scriptural ground is there for anyone saying God "foreknew" the acts of certain ones, viz., their "repenting and believing," and that because of those acts He elected them unto salvation? The answer is, None whatever. Scripture never speaks of repentance and faith as being foreseen or foreknown by God. Truly, He did know from all eternity that certain ones would repent and believe, yet this is not what Scripture refers to as the object of God’s "foreknowledge." The word uniformly refers to God’s foreknowing persons; then let us "hold fast the form of sound words" (2 Tim. 1:13).

Another thing to which we desire to call particular attention is that the first two passages quoted above show plainly and teach implicitly that God’s "foreknowledge" is not causative, that instead, something else lies behind, precedes it, and that something is His own sovereign decree. Christ was "delivered by the (1) determinate counsel and (2) foreknowledge of God." (Acts 2:23). His "counsel" or decree was the ground of His foreknowledge. So again in Romans 8:29. That verse opens with the word "for," which tells us to look back to what immediately precedes. What, then, does the previous verse say? This, "all things work together for good to them. . . .who are the called according to His purpose." Thus God’s foreknowledge is based upon His purpose or decree (see Ps. 2:7).

God foreknows what will be because He has decreed what shall be. It is therefore a reversing of the order of Scripture, a putting of the cart before the horse, to affirm that God elects because He foreknows people. The truth is, He "foreknows" because He has elected. This removes the ground or cause of election from outside the creature, and places it in God’s own sovereign will. God purposed in Himself to elect a certain people, not because of anything good in them or from them, either actual or foreseen, but solely out of His own mere pleasure. As to why He chose the ones He did, we do not know, and can only say, "Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Thy sight." The plain truth of Romans 8:29 is that God, before the foundation of the world, singled out certain sinners and appointed them unto salvation (2 Thess. 2:13). This is clear from the concluding words of the verse: "Predestinated to be conformed to the image of His Son," etc. God did not predestinate those whom He foreknew were "conformed," but, on the contrary, those whom He "foreknew" (i.e., loved and elected) He predestinated to be conformed. Their conformity to Christ is not the cause, but the effect of God’s foreknowledge and predestination.

God did not elect any sinner because He foresaw that he would believe, for the simple but sufficient reason that no sinner ever does believe until God gives him faith; just as no man sees until God gives him sight. Sight is God’s gift, seeing is the consequence of my using His gift. So faith is God’s gift (Eph. 1:8,9), believing is the consequence of my using His gift. If it were true that God had elected certain ones to be saved because in due time they would believe, then that would make believing a meritorious act, and in that event the saved sinner would have ground for "boasting," which Scripture emphatically denies: Ephesians 2:9.

Surely God’s Word is plain enough in teaching that believing is not a meritorious act. It affirms that Christians are a people "who have believed through grace" (Acts 18:27). If then, they have believed "through grace," there is absolutely nothing meritorious about "believing," and if nothing meritorious, it could not be the ground or cause which moved God to choose them. No; God’s choice proceeds not from anything in us, or anything from us, but solely from His own sovereign pleasure. Once more, in Romans 11:5, we read of "a remnant according to the election of grace." There it is, plain enough; election itself is of grace, and grace is unmerited favour something for which we had no claim upon God whatsoever.

It thus appears that it is highly important for us to have clear and scriptural views of the "foreknowledge" of God. Erroneous conceptions about it lead inevitably to thoughts most dishonoring to Him. The popular idea of Divine foreknowledge is altogether inadequate. God not only knew the end from the beginning, but He planned, fixed, predestinated everything from the beginning. And, as cause stands to effect, so God’s purpose is the ground of His prescience. If then the reader be a real Christian, he is so because God chose him in Christ before the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4), and chose not because He foresaw you would believe, but chose simply because it pleased Him to choose: chose you notwithstanding your natural unbelief. This being so, all the glory and praise belongs alone to Him. You have no ground for taking any credit to yourself. You have "believed through grace" (Acts 18:27), and that, because your very election was "of grace" (Rom. 11:5).
Here's the article Margaret.. Please prayerfully consider it.

Question: "What is predestination? Is predestination Biblical?"

Answer: Romans 8:29-30 tells us, “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.” Ephesians 1:5 and 11 declare, “He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will…In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will.” Many people have a strong hostility to the doctrine of predestination. However, predestination is a biblical doctrine. The key is understanding what predestination means, biblically.

The words translated “predestined” in the Scriptures referenced above are from the Greek word proorizo, which carries the meaning of “determine beforehand,” “ordain,” “to decide upon ahead of time.” So, predestination is God determining certain things to occur ahead of time. What did God determine ahead of time? According to Romans 8:29-30, God predetermined that certain individuals would be conformed to the likeness of His Son, be called, justified, and glorified. Essentially, God predetermines that certain individuals will be saved. Numerous scriptures refer to believers in Christ being chosen (Matthew 24:22, 31; Mark 13:20, 27; Romans 8:33, 9:11, 11:5-7, 28; Ephesians 1:11; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; 1 Timothy 5:21; 2 Timothy 2:10; Titus 1:1; 1 Peter 1:1-2, 2:9; 2 Peter 1:10). Predestination is the biblical doctrine that God in His sovereignty chooses certain individuals to be saved.

The most common objection to the doctrine of predestination is that it is unfair. Why would God choose certain individuals and not others? The important thing to remember is that no one deserves to be saved. We have all sinned (Romans 3:23), and are all worthy of eternal punishment (Romans 6:23). As a result, God would be perfectly just in allowing all of us to spend eternity in hell. However, God chooses to save some of us. He is not being unfair to those who are not chosen, because they are receiving what they deserve. God’s choosing to be gracious to some is not unfair to the others. No one deserves anything from God; therefore, no one can object if he does not receive anything from God. An illustration would be a man randomly handing out money to five people in a crowd of twenty. Would the fifteen people who did not receive money be upset? Probably so. Do they have a right to be upset? No, they do not. Why? Because the man did not owe anyone money. He simply decided to be gracious to some.

If God is choosing who is saved, doesn’t that undermine our free will to chose and believe in Christ? The Bible says that we have the choice—all who believe in Jesus Christ will be saved (John 3:16; Romans 10:9-10). The Bible never describes God rejecting anyone who believes in Him or turning away anyone who is seeking Him (Deuteronomy 4:29). Somehow, in the mystery of God, predestination works hand-in-hand with a person being drawn by God (John 6:44) and believing unto salvation (Romans 1:16). God predestines who will be saved, and we must choose Christ in order to be saved. Both facts are equally true. Romans 11:33 proclaims, “Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!”

Recommended Resource: Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service