All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Why the dramatic and continuing decline of the so-called "mainline" Protestant Churches in America over the past half century?  Should their falling membership numbers be a cause for concern?  Why or why not?  What is the wider significance of this trend and its implications for the church or body of Christ generally?

Click here for background information and sources/footnotes.

Views: 1176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our school operates a little differently also. We have prayers at graduation, games etc. regardless of the law, but it is by common choice. I think someone tried a few years ago to make an issue of it, but the county and its residents shot it down. Smaller towns have the ability to do that. Our sports teams have different attitudes about praying before games and after, praying as they see fit.

In my home town high school, at scholarship awards ceremony, we had prayer as well this past May.

Blessings.....

Rita

There are schools sprinkled around the country that are ignoring the rulings. You read about them all the time. From time to time someone will come into that community and make an issue of it and the ACLU will march in and sue the school. There are some holdouts but it is unconstitutional (according to rulings not the document itself) for a school sponsored prayer to be conducted in a school or school function such as graduation. However, it is not considered unconstitutional for a student to lead in prayer if he or she does so without any encouragement by the staff member. A student can pray at a graduation or even in class with permission. He cannot pray over a speaker system. I think this is the general rule. It would be very improper for a teacher to restrict a student from bringing his Bible to class, reading it or using it to talk to his friends. It would be improper to stop a student from praying aloud as long as he is not bothering those around him.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service