All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Why the dramatic and continuing decline of the so-called "mainline" Protestant Churches in America over the past half century?  Should their falling membership numbers be a cause for concern?  Why or why not?  What is the wider significance of this trend and its implications for the church or body of Christ generally?

Click here for background information and sources/footnotes.

Views: 1176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is only one church and yet many local expressions of that one church. God has established under-shepherds. Man is still being perfected and thus prone to error, yet the body is being made perfect by the Lord Himself. The local expression will have variations and I am not talking demoninations or bulidings. These variations are easily seen just in our conversation, a conversation between two people who I trust know and love Jesus.

Good morning LT,

Well the subject of shepherds/leaders is a whole other discussion that I hope we can have at sometime.

The query was in relation to why people are not staying at traditional 'churches'.

We can discuss what exactly a church is perhaps, and this also has to do with why the buildings are emptying, but the enquirer clearly had in mind the thought that traditional 'church membership' whatever that may be? is in decline.

I don't think that we can dispute that where God is there is life and light can we?

Then I think that really answers the question.

People will always be attracted to light and life.

People turn away from that which is not reality and that which is not living.

The church moves on with God as he moves on, there will always be people, christians, who cling to old tradition and structure but God can not do that, despite the grace he leaves behind.

He is life and light and will always be moving forward creating and building, renewing and refreshing.

Blessings to you.

Tim

Tim,

Do you believe that every group of believers that join together in a buidling and associate themselves with a denomination or a local church name are in error and that God is absent from their gatherings even when Jesus is their focus and reason for gathering? Do you view them as dead bodies or could they be vibrant parts of the body of Christ even if they do not fit into your picture of what should be according to your POV?

BTW, people are not always attracted to the light. John 6 is pretty clear on that. People do not always turn away from that which is not reality. If they did trun away fromt he false then there would be no false religions.

Lord Bless,
LT

Tim,

Another meaning of  * Church* in the Bible is found in The Revelation where Christ is giving direction to John as to the message each of the seven were to receive. Those churches are groups of people in various locations. They could also refer to the fazes the church has gone through, or they could be the different types of church organizations that all exist at the same time.

When Christ established the church thru His teaching, His death, burial, and resurrection... He instructed how it was to be set up, but through the ages, men have thrown their beliefs into the church body and have changed the way some parts of it worships.

If the church body met in the manner that we are taught in the Bible, there would be no way that meeting could be finished in an hour.

I believe the Bible also mentions those who are not believers entering into the church body. Jesus condemned them Himself.  He also condemns the man/woman who drinks "His blood" unworthily.Christ is allowing the wheat and the tares to grow together. The separation will come when He comes for His church, when He calls her out.

Jesus also taught that a student is never better than the teacher. To me that means, if a usurper is preaching, his congregation will never be better than he is. If he is usurper, his students, his congregation will be usurpers.

The point is, most churches(groups) don't conduct themselves as Christ has instructed.

Blessings...

Rita

Hi Rita,

You are so right in a lot of what you say.

If the church met in the manner that the first Christians did then no one would want to leave in just an hour. They would want the praise and worship to go on and on as we would.

I don’t think that you will find that Jesus condemned non believers entering the church body, because 1, Jesus wasn’t around, he had gone to be with Father and 2, non believers can’t enter the church body any more than they can enter into the presence of God as Christians do.

Paul talks about ‘drinking his blood unworthily’ at the feast of passover but that is not to do with non believers at all.

The apostle Paul also discusses teachers and students with regards to learning about the Kingdom but not in any connection with leadership or preaching or even congregation.

But yes, you are sadly correct that (let’s call it church in the world for want of a better term) doesn’t conduct itself as God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit the early disciples or any other follower of Jesus would like.

This is why many are leaving the empty shells that call themselves ‘church’ in order to seek truth and light in order to be fed by the rock, the eternal spring of life.

Jesus assured the woman at the well that his kingdom was not built of bricks and stone as the temple was but that whoever worships him must worship him in Spirit and in truth. John ch. 4 vs. 23

Blessings to you

Tim

Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.  Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.  (2 Thessalonians 1-4)

“When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near.  Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city.  For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written.  How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people.  They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.  “There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.  Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken.  At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.  When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”  (Luke 21:20-28)

I can't help but think that we may be close to some of these things. Jesus said to look up.

Love,

Mary 

Colby,

You have hit upon one of the most important issues that has ever faced this great country of ours (not knowing which country you are from). haha

This year marks the fiftieth year of something very important to this country. I wonder if anyone on here knows what 50th year celebration I am speaking of. We did something here in America fifty years ago that is bringing great destruction and until that is turned around, every generation following will become worse and worse.

The first person that guesses what we did fifty years ago and what effect that is having on our country wins the prize. I have not seen one mention of this anywhere. Yet, we now have fifty years under our belt of something different in our country.

I am guessing that LT will be the first to get it. He is on the East coast and is up earlier than most.

Roy,

I was on the road at 5 AM this morning and just got in ... :-)

Lord Bless,

LT

Welcome back, LT!

Colby,

Thanks. This was a pretty normal day for me. Tomorrow I leave for vacation :-)

Lord Bless,

LT

LT -- Have a truly wonderful, restful and blessed vacation.

Okay LT,

We'll give you an out. Have a great trip.

Roy

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service