All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I just read a devotion that can be like a good smack upside the head:

It stated that religion is dangerous and would rather debate an issue than do something about it.  They said we shouldn't get you sidetracked into a religious debate or get all hung up on theological questions.  That the difference between religion and the love of God is that religion argues while love acts.

Views: 2037

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I still have questions, too, about the topic of deliverance but don't like talking about it. One of my fears has to do with what it all means for the flesh that's not regenerated and will remain not regenerated, and, also, how deeply our souls are affected by this spiritual warfare, since we are being renewed day by day, and it's an ongoing process of sanctification, but obviously, that would mean parts of our minds, wills, emotions, and so forth, aren't sanctified. In this light and along that train of thought, I can see why so many struggle with addictions and habitual sins and wrong beliefs and attitudes and unhealthy patterns of behaviors, but how much of that is just the flesh that's not regenerated, and how much of that is the unregenerated flesh being affected by the spiritual enemy?

I leave deliveries to the pizza guy.  If there are demons and evil spirits , well, save your money for pizza and pray.   

ROFL

This may all very well be a difference in personality traits. For instance, some people learn Greek and Hebrew, some are learned Bible scholars, some read literally and others look for meaning behind scripture.

I'm the type that reads something for what it says. I'm not a between the lines reader. In this instance, the message is to just *do* it rather than debate it. The example used though is what's caught up because others have different ways of reading and they're reading between the lines or looking for hidden meaning.

The writer might have opted to say something like rather than debate the sin of homosexuality, tell the homosexual about Jesus' love for them. But I'm pretty sure someone would think we have to tell them what they're doing is a sin before we can tell them the good news.

Which leads me to think that "Till we all come in the unity of the faith" isn't talking about agreeing on every doctrine. I can't see humans ever able to always agree on everything. For some reason we tend to enjoy a good old debate. We even form teams for it. LOL

Seek,

The writer might have opted to say something like rather than debate the sin of homosexuality, tell the homosexual about Jesus' love for them. But I'm pretty sure someone would think we have to tell them what they're doing is a sin before we can tell them the good news.

Not the same thing.

There is no reading between the lines regarding the demonic aspect of the article ... it is pretty n your face.

Lord Bless,

LT

One of the details of the text is that religious debates sidetrack from taking action, but that isn't the main idea of the text, only a detail in it. Discussion is important, if only so that one might learn the proper action to take. After all, isn't he discussing what he views as being important and the proper action to take, as opposed to what appears to be important to those who would counter him?

The reference to Nike is that for many years Nike has had the slogan, Just do it. Sorry, it was a poor attempt at humor on my part.
Are we sure? It wasn't in my face and didn't seem to be in Erics. So I read the message differently.

I can see what you're saying but I DIDN’T see it until it had to be pointed out. So was reading the message "concept" and finding the good point being made something one shouldn't do but first pour over every word within and dig for anything we can see taints the message first?

I read the "message". And the message is a good one. He did use demons to show the idea of what he wanted to impart...to act rather than debate, and since demonic possession has been discussed here often, I found it to be a good message to highlight the real issue. I said elsewhere that I don't envision people ever not debating stuff. But sometimes we do have to keep it real and pay attention to the needs of those around us. We could apply it to a current issue easily. How many churches debate the welfare system while members in their own congregation struggle financially? We talk about it but don't actually act on it. I've often done it. so the "message" hit home to me...not the example.
Well shoot. Now I remember that slogan but it didn't even dawn on me when you mentioned Nike. Everyone else got it. I think I was still stuck on the Mountain Dew version. LOL

I can see what you're saying but I DIDN’T see it until it had to be pointed out. So was reading the message "concept" and finding the good point being made something one shouldn't do but first pour over every word within and dig for anything we can see taints the message first?

In this article you do not have to "dig" to see that it is centered on the demonic. You read it looking for the good, but you should read it looking for the message found therein as a whole.

If I were to offer you a glass of water you would probably say OK and drink it. If I offered you a glass of water, but said wait ... I put one drop of poison in it. You would not drink it. Why not? Most of the glass is filled with water, there is only a drop of poison in it.

Do you know that one of the ways cults (and not accusing those in questions as being a cult) get over on people? The people see only the good while the rest of the message which is embedded with other teachings slides past the person, but slowly becomes part of their understanding. Looking for the good without paying attention to the whole is dangerous.

I say this because I care, not because I am trying to be right or to hurt you. My goal is to help ...

I'm still not seeing it as "centered" on the demonic. I fine you could actually take 4 messages from it if we're going to dig them out.

1. Religion vs. Christianity
2. Healing
3. Deliverance
4. Do it don't debate it

In reading and re-reading I will say there's something he says that I completely disagree with but it doesn't invalidate the entire devotion. We're all growing AND we certainly all communicate differently. I've said things here that were misunderstood because I couldn't word them in a way others could grasp with my thought processes. And I've had beliefs I've revised along the way while knowing even my revisions can't begin to touch the full truth that will be revealed after the death of our bodies. We only have a piece...I'd say a very small piece. If looking upon the face of God is too much for our mortal bodies, how on earth could we ever believe we can comprehend the full truth? Now we know in part, then we will know fully.

Based on that, we're I to be able to contact Copeland and say...hey Ken. You know where you say xx? Did you really mean xx? And he came back and said no I didn't mean it that way or you bring up some valid points I'll need to pray and study, I don't consider it false teaching but fallible humanity. If however he came and said yes I meant what I said and your arguments are moot end of discussion....I would never listen to another word that man said. As it stands, I can't ask him so instead I listen until convinced he's said enough to show me he's a false teacher.

I used to question a lot of what my pastor preached...until he preached a few sermons that were the complete opposite of what I thought he believed. I know from what he's said that he's still growing like all of us and his views have shifted in some areas. Also, words are all too often misconstrued. That's why I listen for God's Word in the sermon. If it's not resonating with me it can be:

a. False
b. Not geared towards what I need
c. Ahead of where I am
d. Interfered with by satan's distraction and misguidance
etc...

This is why I learn not to nitpick a sermon but listen for truth and leave the rest to God.

As for cults getting over on people, wouldn't that kind of set against some scripture?

...To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. Romans 14:4

I have the same ability to pray and ask God for guidance, which is partly why some sermons don't sit well with me. Other times I have to sit and mull it over trying to decide if I'm actually guilty of what's being taught. I sit there seeking guidance as to whether I have issues in such an area. Sometimes I feel it's something I need to work on and go up for prayer and other times I keep seeking His guidance.

We're to study to show ourselves approved. And while I'm pretty sure Jesus never used the phrase...we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I cannot learn without learning what is false nor learn what is false without listening and holding what they say against the Word

I say this because I care, not because I am trying to be right or to hurt you. My goal is to help ...

I understand. But until I see them actually teaching falsely, I can't make a judgment based on what someone else says.

I understand. But until I see them actually teaching falsely, I can't make a judgment based on what someone else says

Please understand that no one is asking you to make a judgment on what I or anyone else said. In fact I did just the opposite. I gave you some info, but challenged you to look deeper into the teachings. I have been around quite a while, have followed various people and particular groups. I am certain that if you dig you will discover all kinds of red flags in what they teach and believe, including some of the areas mentioned before in that short list, but you need to discover that for yourself.

Lord Bless,

LT

Lol. Perhaps Nikes would have given them more confidence and boldness and wouldn't have helped their situation at all, except in the case of running ...

Ok I'm missing the Nike reference. Saw it but it went right over my head. 

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service