All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Greetings all,

I would like to try something on TheNET. I would like to see if we can engage in a Bible study using the forums. I hope to simulate a small group setting, but realize that there will be lag time. Here are the parameters that we will work with ... and this is open to everyone.

1) We will attempt to work our way through the gospel of John.

2) We will not tolerate negative comments made about a person or persons.

3) We will use the S.O.A.P. approach which = Scripture - Observation - Application - Prayer.

... 3a) I will post a Scripture text from the Gospel of John using KJV (no copyright attached)

... 3b) We will seek to make observations about the particular text. What is being said, what is going on, who is involved and what might be the points being made?

... 3c) We will then attempt to find the application of the text/teaching to our lives today.

... 3d) Wrapping up with a prayer pertaining to that which we have sought to discern.

4) It is appropriate to ask questions along the way.

5) I will operate as the facilitator and teacher of this online group/class, but want the open participation of others.

6) At the end of one week I will close the current one and start a new one.

This works really well in a small group setting ... let's see how it works here.

First Week's Scripture:

Joh 1:1-18 KJV In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (2) The same was in the beginning with God. (3) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (4) In him was life; and the life was the light of men. (5) And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. (6) There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. (7) The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. (8) He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. (9) That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. (10) He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. (11) He came unto his own, and his own received him not. (12) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: (13) Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (14) And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (15) John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. (16) And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. (17) For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. (18) No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Scripture -  John 1:1-18

Observation

Application

Prayer

Views: 1352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would suggest a reading of Romans 1 and 2 noting the change that has taken place in man.

Ok, I guess I'm having another blonde moment cause I went over it last night and again this morning and I can't figure out what you're trying to say on this.  I even noted that Romans 1:18-20 suggests the same thing as is in Deuteronomy.

One must know who they are seeking. In the OT the Israelites had been given light. They were the keeper of God's Word, His truth. Today this truth is wrapped up in the gospel. one will not find God simply by recognizing that there is a Creator's hand displayed in creation. Many gods have been created by man by those who worship creation thinking that they have found God.

Man is fallen, and very distorted from the time of Adam and his innocence before the fall. Man does not search for God, but rather God reveals Himself to man and it is the gospel message along with the work of the Holy Spirit that brings conviction that may lead to repentance and then salvation.

Hope that helps. 

Well I think it goes hand in hand with the other.  If they do recognize a creator and seek to know Him, God will reveal Himself....perhaps by sending people to that region to preach the gospel.  And if one fails to go, He always has a backup waiting.

Beyond the gospel, what is that backup plan and where do we find that plan in Scripture?

This goes back to the understanding of the lostness of man.

I'm taking a guess but I think Seek means by back up plan, that God will send someone on the mission to preach the message of faith to people, such as God did with Nineveh, and when Jonah rebelled, God sent a big fish, and Jonah's mind changed, but if Jonah hadn't gone, perhaps God would have sent another.

IMO what this Scripture of Romans 1 and 2 doesn’t mean is just as important as what it means. IMO, it doesn’t mean that people ( i.e. Gentiles) can be saved under the New Covenant without being born again, nor does it mean that people ( i.e. Jews) can be saved under the New Covenant without being born again. This is my understanding anyway. Before Christ lived and died, the Gentiles had the revelation of nature and world and creation (Romans 1:18-32). The Jews had the revelation of God’s Word (Romans 2:1-8). Now the whole world has the revelation of Jesus Christ and the Gospel (Romans 3:21-26).

That's the change.

Just my two cents.

Well Amanda stated some of the things I was thinking on.  Another was Elijah.  When he fell into despair, God had him go and anoint Hazael and Jehu to do those things which Elijah should have been able to do had he not given into despair.  There is also Adam, when he failed the test, God sent Jesus to fulfill it. A plan He already had in place as He knew Adam would sin.

Here's another in a devotional from YouVersion:

God had THE master plan for man and then He had many back up plans for when we messed up.

Ishmael was not part of God’s plan; he was Abraham’s impatient interpretation of God’s plan. Yet when doling out blessings, God blessed Ishmael too. God did this because 1) He loved Abraham and heard his prayers; and 2) His grace covers all--absolutely all--of our shortcomings.

Yes, man is lost.  But God didn't send Jesus to die for nothing, so to me that means He plans to get the gospel spread throughout Judea, Samaria and the uttermost parts of the world. 

The Word says that the spreading of the gospel "will" be finished (Matthew 24:12) and then the end will come. The question is what about all those who never hear the gospel and die in darkness. Man would say that is unfair, but the reality is that fairness would have been to have destroyed disobedient Adam and Eve, but instead He demonstrated grace and mercy.

There are not many paths to salvation ... Jesus is the only way and short of coming to know Him, hearing the gospel and being enlightened by the Holy Spirit, the lost remain as they already were ... lost.

This is not a popular subject, especially since our hearts seem to cry out for the lost who will never hear. Man is born physically alive and spiritually dead.

I will not drive this in the ground as most do not want to hear or consider the lostness of man.

BTW, God never ... EVER ... has a back up plan. A back up plan implies that God does not know the beginning and the end. There is only God's plan ... one plan.

Very true. Just one plan. There are many biblical examples of people rebelling against God, such as King Saul. God knew though and King David wasn't a back up plan. All of it was included in the one Plan. Man's liberties don't make God return to the drawing board.
Actually to me it implies that He gave us free will to obey Him or not. And if one doesn't another will so that God's ultimate plan is carried out. If God knew Adam would fall why even create man...knowing we'd turn from Him? To me it says He knows the outcome but loves us enough to keep trying to get our attention.

No it's not popular to think loved ones will be in hell but they have a choice. But they don't have a choice to believe in what they don't know about which is why I feel that particular scripture is saying He will make Himself known. God sends missionaries into the field so the gospel is heard. If one can see there has to be a creator but isn't interested in seeking after Him and God doesn't reveal Himself that person can say he hadn't heard the gospel but he can't say he didn't know God existed.

To me it's not about man's lostness but about God wanting us to turn to Him and from sin and makes a way if we truly seek out the truth of our creation. Then it's up to each of us to choose Him or not.
LT,

Regarding the lostness of man, I think the most difficult part is accepting that all people start out as being lost and the lost are truly lost and those to be saved will be saved and God knows who is who, and we are to go into all the world, because we don't know who is who, and, yet, there's no denying that many never do hear the Gospel. 

We are to preach it to every creature, knowing that some will be saved, and it's just difficult to know that those who never hear about Jesus must not be among the some that will be saved. 

I wish there could be another way for people to come to faith in Christ without hearing the Gospel preached, and I've even thought that maybe angels would go and preach to them, or God would appear to them in dreams and visions, to at least reveal the message of faith to them. Something kind of like verse 9 in this Bible study "That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" -- I wanted to think that, at least after Jesus was born, every man would be enlightened of the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus - the Gospel. But, I guess that's not what verse 9 means. 

I take consolation in knowing that all who are His will be saved. I've struggled, too, with wanting everyone to have the chance to hear the Gospel.

I've made peace with it, knowing that God knows the end from the beginning, and even knew the end before the beginning, and God's plan is unfolding, and God isn't acting unjustly.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service