All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Greetings all,

I would like to try something on TheNET. I would like to see if we can engage in a Bible study using the forums. I hope to simulate a small group setting, but realize that there will be lag time. Here are the parameters that we will work with ... and this is open to everyone.

1) We will attempt to work our way through the gospel of John.

2) We will not tolerate negative comments made about a person or persons.

3) We will use the S.O.A.P. approach which = Scripture - Observation - Application - Prayer.

... 3a) I will post a Scripture text from the Gospel of John using KJV (no copyright attached)

... 3b) We will seek to make observations about the particular text. What is being said, what is going on, who is involved and what might be the points being made?

... 3c) We will then attempt to find the application of the text/teaching to our lives today.

... 3d) Wrapping up with a prayer pertaining to that which we have sought to discern.

4) It is appropriate to ask questions along the way.

5) I will operate as the facilitator and teacher of this online group/class, but want the open participation of others.

6) At the end of one week I will close the current one and start a new one.

This works really well in a small group setting ... let's see how it works here.

First Week's Scripture:

Joh 1:1-18 KJV In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (2) The same was in the beginning with God. (3) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (4) In him was life; and the life was the light of men. (5) And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. (6) There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. (7) The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. (8) He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. (9) That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. (10) He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. (11) He came unto his own, and his own received him not. (12) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: (13) Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (14) And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (15) John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. (16) And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. (17) For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. (18) No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Scripture -  John 1:1-18

Observation

Application

Prayer

Views: 1352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Basically I agree and will add the following:

There are differing views on how Jesus operated (will come back to that), but we cannot differ on the deity of Jesus. That is a deal breaker regarding walking in unity/fellowship.

My view is that Jesus veiled His deity and walked as a man (still God, but veiled) who was in complete harmony with the Holy Spirit demonstrating what a completely surrendered life looks like. Completely surrendered to the point where I do what the Father says, not my will be done, etc ...

Yes, truth is something we must divide over. This has been a difficult truth for me to register -- understanding the two natures of Jesus. Many say it means Jesus had faith because He was fully human. I guess He operated out of faith during His earthly ministry since He was in human form and not in the form of unveiled deity. He was perfect human. I used to think He had no need of faith in God because, as the Son of God, He would never need to place trust and belief in Himself or walk by faith in the Father. God is all knowing and all seeing and all powerful. I don't know anymore. On earth, if Jesus was not aware of His deity, He definitely would have needed faith. At certain times it appears He was trusting Himself into the hands of the Father, such as in the Garden, when He said not My will, but Thine, and on the cross, right before He died. Yet, as fully God, it seems His will would always be the Father's will anyway and no need for Him to surrender, unless it was also veiled from Him that as God He couldn't sin. I don't know.

I don't believe that He was unaware, but had willfully veiled His deity. In so doing (and such a thing is beyond our ability to understand in full) He would be able to fully experience life in the human flesh that He created and to set a righteous example of a godly man walking in harmony with and dependent on the Holy Spirit.

The concept of God having faith, or in this case Jesus (God in the flesh) is a difficult subject and one that would require a solid definition regarding the kind of faith we are talking about and the purpose of faith.

To live the life Jesus lived, a man (woman) would have to choose to not marry (1 Cor 7). I don't know that we are called to live the exact life of Christ (not saying that's what you mean) but I do know we are called to be like Christ in the way of putting God first even at costs and loss to self.

Richard,

Good input.

GOD KNEW THAT BY SENDING HIM IN THE FLESH AS A MAN TO LIVE AMONG US, DWEll WITH US, HE WOULD RELATE TO US. HE KNEW WE HUMANS NEEDED HIM IN THE FLESH, WE NEEDED TO VERBALY HEAR HIM, TOUCH HIM, EXPERIENCE HIM IN THE FLESH. I CAN ONLY IMAGINE THE IMPACT OF SEEING MY LORD AND SAVIOR IN THE FLESH, LISTENING TO THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT, HAVING DINNER WITH HIM. I BELEIVE GOD WANTED TO MAKE AN IMPACT ON HOW MUCH HE LOVED US. HE WANTED TO MAKE A WAY SO WE WOULD BE WITH HIM FOREVER. HE LOVES US THIS MUCH!! HE KNEW THIS WAS THE ONLY WAY, HIS GIFT TO US , HIS PRECIOUS CHILDREN. HIS PRECIOUS SON, HIS ULTIMATE SACRIFICE. I CANT EVEN FATHOM THE PAIN HE SUFFERED SEEING HIS PERFECT CHILD SACRIFICED FOR ALL MANKIND. THIS THE PUREST LOVE THERE IS. WHEN WE COME FACE TO FACE WITH HIM WE WILL NO LONGER LONG FOR THE LOVE WE HAVE HERE FOR OUR LOVED ONES. WHEN WE SEE HIM, WE WILL EXPERIENCE THE PUREST LOVE THERE IS.

Good word, but will add something for clarification. Often times by the way we say certain things we can create a confusion. Not picking on you, just wanting to point something out. In the opening you state that God knew that by sending Him in the flesh ... this statement can be seen as thinking that Jesus is less than God (not your intention). We understand that Jesus coming is "God coming in the flesh" and thus all that Jesus experiences the Father and Holy Spirit experience (though beyond our comprehension as to how this works) as a triune God.

Here is what I get from this....

In the beginning was the Word...the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

This takes me to John 17:17: Sanctify them through your truth: your word is truth.

And John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

We know His Words by staying in THE Word, the Bible.  Jesus IS the Word, the truth, the light.  We cannot know Him, truth or have light unless we continue in studying scripture.  Through it, we are abiding in the Word/Christ.  We are learning truth/Christ, we are receiving light/Christ. 

The only way to know Christ is to get in and stay in the Word...which IS Christ.  It's His Words...all scripture is God breathed.  God SPOKE and the earth, man, everything was created.  He BREATHED life into man.  He BREATHED life into scripture through His Word. 

I agree that being in the Word is important, but ask the following questions:

What about the 1st century Christian who lived before the NT was completed?

What about those today in parts of the world who do not have a copy in their language, or a copy of any kind?

Thus, how can they grow deeper into Christ?

That's where the Bible tells us we have to go out as disciples and apostles.  It's up to us to spread the Word to those places that don't have the Word.  Plus Scripture also says that God has clearly revealed Himself in nature and in our hearts.  and Deuteronomy tells us that if we seek the Lord we WILL find Him.  I believe God will make Himself known...as well as any knowledge of Christ and repentance and salvation.  And as Deuteronomy was before the NT that also covers those who lived before it.  That's why righteousness was accredited to Moses, Abraham, etc.  They sought the Lord, even before Jesus was known. 

I agree with what you have said, except this part (if I am understanding you correctly):

I believe God will make Himself known...as well as any knowledge of Christ and repentance and salvation.

I believe in the lostness of man and that salvation comes through Christ alone (OT and NT). This knowledge of God was given in the OT through various symbolism and direct Scripture, but it required faith in God and His work that led to obedience. Here is the part I disagree on, if I get you correctly, the lost who never hear the gospel will remain lost. The gospel, is the power of God for salvation (Rom. 1:16) and the church has been commissioned to take it and where the gospel has not gone the people remain in darkness (Rom. 10:14-17).

Sorry, what I am trying to say is where Deuteronomy says we will find Him if we seek Him, and where we're told God has clearly revealed Himself in nature and our hearts, that tells me that we all know deep down that we were created.  And if we seek after knowledge of this creation and the creator (God), we will find it (knowledge of God) because God will provide a way for us to find the it, including the truth to salvation.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service