All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I've heard people say they don't understand the Bible so they stop reading. I've responded to that by pointing out the NIV being easier to understand. However I came across something that has me rethinking this. http://www.scionofzion.com/niv2.htm

The most glaring is this:

In Isaiah 9:3, the KJB says:
Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy ...
The NIV says:
You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy...

As the article says, it can't be both. Do you use other versions? If so, have you ever noticed such differences?

Views: 2543

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Let me add this:  Those who are willing to side with the perVIRSIONS have to "face the music"  coming from All-Knowing God:  Rev. 22:19!

To state that Those who are willing to side with the perVIRSIONS have to "face the music" coming from All-Knowing God is saying the opposite of what you said below that All-knowing, All-Mighty God knows how to save His CHOSEN ones, no matter where they live or what language they speak! because they don't speak English yet God still saves them so they don't "face the music".

LOLOL
I ran across a site looking for some of the archaic KJV language and the writer said the following which gave me a good chuckle.

To those who argue for the beautiful and lofty language of the KJV, I will challenge you to go out in public and talk in King James English today. You will soon see how odd and outdated it is. Try it. I dare you! Of course you will not do it because you do not want to sound silly. But you don’t care if God does.

My Almighty, All-knowing God is quite able to handle any ABUSE!  In fact He did, when He was nailed to a cross.

I don't think you understood what the writer was saying.

Yes God is able to handle it, but the writer is saying it is proponents of KJV only who are sort of hurling the insults at Him, because they're in effect saying they don't speak in King James English today cause they'd look silly, but they don't care if God looks silly by Him only speaking that way today through the KJV version.
What about the non-English speaking peoples of the world?

All-knowing, All-Mighty God knows how to save His CHOSEN ones,  no matter where they live or what language they speak!  Rev. 7:9 tells me so.

Gal. 4:4 teaches me that when the RIGHT TIME came God the Father sent His Son down to earth.

He did the same with the KJV.  At the RIGHT TIME in the history of the world, when the whole world was under the influence of the British,  using the English language as the Lingua-Franca  the Good Lord "sent down"  the KJV.  I don't mean the KJV of 1611, though!  I mean the KJV of pre-perVIRSION times.

Amazingly, He didn't do such a thing with Latin when Rome "ruled the world." 

Btw, the Good Lord did not let Rome rule the whole world making Latin the Lingua-Franca.    But He did let the British rule the world, making English the L/F.

Ok then, He's doing the same now by giving us versions that are understandable in today's English which is way different than that spoken in KJV times.

So if He knows how to save His chosen ones, which is "any" who believe, then why would KJV be the only true Bible we should use as the main Bible? Non-English speaking peoples don't have the KJV yet God still saves them. Some don't have a Bible at all and hope someone can smuggle one in for them. So without KJV, they can still be saved.

The best way to learn biblical truths in the English language is to study the KJV while using other versions as helps or commentaries.  Of course for those who are able to study in-depth, there are enough and more helps available if one uses a computer.  

And I'm saying this isn't true. God led me to search on this and so I found that NIV didn't add text to the Lord's Prayer from original manuscripts but KJV did. And NIV has been the one I've studied while using KJV as help and I have a fairly good grasp on Scripture.I read the NIV cover to cover twice before I even began using KJV, commentaries, word for word translations, etc. And it never kept me from learning God's Word, even without reading KJV.

One of the things I learned is to avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law...taken from KJV even.

As you can see, I haven't mastered it, but I'm trying to learn God's truth in certain matters so I try to let my "speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." And when someone says they cannot grasp ancient English so far removed from modern English, I can answer...try another version that you can understand. :-)

How strange that English speakers of 200 yrs ago when there was only one version--the KJV--understood the language and got saved?  We must remember that in that time the vast majority of people (farmers, soldiers, cobblers, barbers etc),  had no schooling at all.  All they had was what they learned in Sunday School.  They simply learned to read the KJV of the Holy Scriptures.  People are ready to go to school for 15 or 16 yrs to get a university degree, but will not spend two or three years (collectively)  to learn from the KJV, it being the most accurate Bible with (no additions and no taking away) .  

It's not the least bit strange. No stranger than any language that changes through the years. Those who speak Greek and Hebrew cannot understand the original manuscripts. Because they were written in an ancient form of those now dead languages. No one speaks ancient Greek or Hebrew anymore than they do the Victorian English, anymore than Spanish speakers completely understand the various dialects of different Spanish speaking peoples.

The Bible speaks of leviathan, behemoth and dragon, yet do we see these creatures? No. Time changes, cultures change, animals become extinct and crossbred that we'd be hard pressed to find them in Scripture.

On the day of Pentecost they spoke in many languages so the others could understand in their own language. Those various languages are spelled out in Acts 2. None of them included English, Spanish, French, Italian, etc. Do we even know if such languages existed at the time?

Language, like animals, shifting continents, dried up rivers, air pollution, you name it...they all change over time. People are ever changing. Since God is the only constant, everything else is subject to change.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service