All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

I'd like to get y'alls views on this...because for me it was truly disgusting.  And that would be a light description.

Okay, here is the description.  This morning while listening to K-love, they were plugging the movie "Super Man."  They even went as far as to say it represented Jesus, i.e. fighting evil, etc.  Said that the story was much the same...a man gave up his son to come into this world, be adopted, and spend his life fighting evil.

I'm amazed at how many "Christians" buy into this lie and go to see this movie with their little children.  She said that "Superman" gave his life.....sorry, but he was not crucified on a cross for our sins.  

This is about as ridiculous as teaching your children about "Santa Claus."   Really...what has happened to true Christianity in this time?  Does noone get into the Word anymore, doesn't anyone recognize how far we've digressed...I'm with Jesus on this one, "Will I find faith on the earth when I return?"

All this tells me is that Jesus will be coming back very very soon.  So many trying to take away His Glory.  The world has truly waxed evil, calling good evil and evil good.  Take care and please examine your heart and faith.  Please take the time.  I love you all.

Views: 1929

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, the church really does need fresh ways of preaching Gods word. Most services are frankly boring. Movies have been used as references and examples of things for years, it's nothing new. Analogies help people understand certain concepts, if those analogies come from movies so be it.

How do you think children relate to Jesus?

Grazer,

If the we, the Church, need fresh ways of preaching, we need to then get on our knees and seek the face of the one that gives us all the creativity we need. Our God is the giver of life. His Word is full of freshness.

We don't need the system of the world/flesh. We need to die to self and this life. If we are boring and not creative is not God's fault but our own, we are too full of the world already. We need God and His Holy Spirit guiding and leading us.

Love and blessings to you young brother.

Don't dispute that but none of it refutes what I've put. Analogies help, Jesus's parables were full of references to things people could relate to, to help them understand what Jesus was saying - and not everything he used came from scripture either. The Bible is a complex book, its not easy to grasp; sometimes need to take small steps. If you're explaining something in the Bible, simply repeating it is not going to make them understand any quicker. So yeah, God can use movies to help people understand something about him; God can use anything, that's part of being creative :)

If we teach children that the story of Superman is the story of Christ, then how will they ever actually know Who the real Jesus is? How can that be the message of faith that is necessary to implant faith in God in their hearts? Later in life, when trials and tribulations have come to them, it only would increase the risk of unbelief in them IMO since they would likely cry out that God really is as fictional and as fallible as a superhero and not omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent at all, let alone holy and righteous and the other attributes. The character playing Superman is fallible and we see his weaknesses. Do we want to teach that about Jesus?

If the concern is teaching that the story of Superman is the story of Christ, then yes I can see the problem. I don't see a problem with using the story of Superman as a way into talking about Christ, using the similarities to help people understand, then taking them through where they differ. No comparison is perfect but it helps people understand and that's the key.

It doesn't have to be 100% theologically correct all the time. It's like when I was asked if Jesus liked KFC. My answer was "yeah, if he did communion today he'd probably order a couple of bargain buckets" Everyone laughed, it broke the ice and it got people discussing God and communion and expressing themselves. Was my answer 100% theologically accurate? No, it didn't need to be. It was a way into discussing Christ. Also, its like when we tell children that their mum has a baby in her tummy. This is not 100% accurate but does it need to be for the child to understand whats going on? No.

We work at the level the person understands. Not everyone understands theology or grace, but everyone understands the Superman story. That's where the movie is the way in, its a great way of discussing Christ at a level people understand.

If someone asks me if the Superman story is the Jesus story, I'd say they are similar, they share certain ideals but there are some differences. If a child asks me if Jesus is like Superman, I'd say Yeah, he's like Superman but better. Jesus also saves the world and what's cooler is that Jesus knows you :) As the song goes:

Jesus you're my superhero
You're my star, my best friend

Better than Spiderman
Better than Superman
Better than Batman
Better than anyone

If its good enough for an 8 year old...... :) :) :)

I get what you are saying regarding breaking the ice, however this is where I must part ways with your reasoning ... where you said:

If someone asks me if the Superman story is the Jesus story, I'd say they are similar, they share certain ideals but there are some differences. If a child asks me if Jesus is like Superman, I'd say Yeah, he's like Superman but better.

In Athens, Paul saw how religious they were and the altar with this inscription: to an unknown god.

He didn't begin by telling them how much the one true God is like all of the other idols they were worshipping only better. He told them, "So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’[b] As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’[c]

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.” (Acts 17, NIV)

Paul wasn't talking to a bunch of 8 year olds though

And that makes it OK? Children become adults. The first 8 years of life are so VERY important. That's where many beliefs become internalized and rooted.

What is the fictional character called Superman if not an image made by human design and skill? And we want to say Jesus is like that?

That's one of the differences you can explain to them, but that doesn't negate anything I've put regarding not needing to be 100% theologically accurate. Lets flip this for a second and say Jesus is nothing like Superman. So Jesus doesn't save people, he doesn't rescue, he doesn't care for others, he's not invincible? But wait, he does and so does Superman. Jesus does these things because he is a hero, the ultimate hero. The word hero helps a child understand a little something about Jesus. Its not complete or totally accurate but I've explained why that doesn't always matter

No one is 100% theologically accurate but everyone is asked to walk in the light they have been given and not excuse or justify when they fail. And here is the light regarding saying Jesus is like anything made by human skill and design, including the man of steel, and we have a choice now of whether or not to repent and to walk in that light:

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent

I'm sorry, Grazer. I love and care for you and never intend to hurt you.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service