All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Many believe that once you are saved you are always saved and that you cannot lose your salvation or be rejected by God.

What is the scriptural basis for “Once saved always saved”? Does not the responsibility lie with the believer how he/she conduct themselves after initially being saved?

I see many scriptures that say/imply other than once saved always saved:

Old Testament:

Num 14:11  Then the LORD said to Moses: "How long will these people reject Me? And how long will they not believe Me, with all the signs which I have performed among them?

Num 14:12  I will strike them with the pestilence and disinherit them..."

1Sa 15:23  For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."

1Sa 28:6  And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets.

1Sa 28:7  Then Saul said to his servants, "Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her…"

Pro 2:13  …From those who leave the paths of uprightness To walk in the ways of darkness

New Testament:

Joh 17:12  …Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition

Act 8:9  But there was a certain man called Simon, who previously practiced sorcery…

Act 8:13  …Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done…

Act 8:20  …But Peter said to him, "Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money!

Act 8:21  You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God.

Act 8:22  Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.

Act 8:23  For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity."

1Pe 4:17  For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?

1Pe 4:18  Now "IF THE RIGHTEOUS ONE IS SCARCELY SAVED, WHERE WILL THE UNGODLY AND THE SINNER APPEAR?"

Jas 5:19  Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back,

Jas 5:20  let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

2Ti 2:17  …Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort,

2Ti 2:18  who have strayed concerning the truth

2Ti 2:24  …And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,

2Ti 2:25  in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,

2Ti 2:26  and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

2Pe 2:20  For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.

2Pe 2:21  For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.

2Pe 2:22  But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: "A DOG RETURNS TO HIS OWN VOMIT," and, "a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire."

Heb 10:26  For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Heb 10:27  but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Heb 10:28  Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.

Heb 10:29  Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Heb 6:4  For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit,

Heb 6:5  and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,

Heb 6:6  if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

Views: 2861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent question sis Robbin,

True and False Prophets

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Like I have mentioned before, I do not always agree with the subtitles in bibles, but the two subtitles on these portions or Matthew 7 are correct. False prophets and false Disciples. First they are false, so even when they approach Christ they are deceived and lying, for most likely they have not done what they are proclaiming because they are liars or God was simply honoring the faith of those asking for the miracle etc...

Blessings

Hey beloved Roger -

Please bless me with a little more detail explaining what you mean by stating: "THIS IS NOT FOR TODAY." Please elaborate on how that portion of scripture is not relevant or applicable to us today.

Thank you bro.

So help me out here Roger,

Mat 7:23

THESE VERSE ARE DIRECTED TO THOSE WHO NOT TRUE FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST. THIS IS NOT FOR TODAY. THIS WAS WRITTEN IN JESUS DAY. EVEN A PERSON WHO WAS NOT A TRUE FOLLOWER OF CHIRST COULD DO THE MIRACLES BECAUSE THEY DID IT IN THE NAME OF JESUS. IF YOU STUDY THE BIBLE GOD DID EVERYTHING TO HONOR HIS NAME. THE SAME IS TRUE WITH JESUS TO BRING HONOR TO HIS NAM.

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Give me the verses that help you determine your conclusion or the Hermeneutical system you are using to arrive at such belief.

Thanks

I think is just a typo sis Amanda. Love you.

"discuss hot topics in love"

right on brother!

When you are brave enough take on baptism... I'll be there with you on that one as well I'm sure!

I agree we can not avoid hard topics and still be established in the truth in both primary and secondary issues.

The closer you look at tough issues the more you can see the grace "undeserved and unmerited favor" of God, -vs- the religion of man. Jesus say's to His own "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free"

Bro Craig,

We have something like 7000 discussions archived and baptism has been discussed multiple times. Go to the forum and search for the word and resurrect the discussion that has to do with the topic. Do you mean Spirit Baptism or water baptism?

Love to you my brother. I see you have a warrior's spirit. So here is the shield of faith to quench the fiery darts.

Because the Bible says that if we sin willfully after we have received [from God!] the acknowledging of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment!

Sister LB,

The verse you have quoted here actually says knowledge instead of acknowledge. It seems a small thing and yet it makes a huge difference to what the writer is saying. If you are told something, you have knowledge of it. If you acknowledge something, you have agreed and accepted it.

This minor change can make a huge difference. 

My opinion is that if a person is in the Father's hand, no one can remove them, not even the person himself. And then, who would want to.

Blessings as you study and converse,

Rita

Thanks David and LB. There’s tons of information on the other discussion that David pointed me to. I read as much as I could and received a lot of very good info. That is the main reason for my post, to get other Christians' points of view, not to start a debate or end up in circular debate / confusion.

While I better understand both viewpoints now, I have some thoughts/concerns/questions. I believe that the OSAS view, while correct in certain respects, still needs clarification / better explanation, as in its simplest form it creates a few problems:

1. I may be generalizing, but my observation has been that the OSAS view is actually detrimental to building disciplined and holy Christians. If the OSAS view can be defined / explained in such a way as to cause believers to more fully fear/revere God and be zealous for Him and His work, then this would be good, but it does not.
  2. It rather opens a door for Christians to think that they have a license to sin / do whatever they want to. The OSAS view creates the impression that Christians can do whatever they want to after coming to the Lord. Instead of “working out their own salvation with fear and trembling”, (even though the next verse says “for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure”), the OSAS view in its simplest form can cause delay of time for Christians to get serious about their Christian walk and work, and at worst can cause them to backslide, sin, remain stagnant, have a form of godliness but no power, get lazy, bear no fruit.
  3. These secondary issues (e.g. OSAS, Pre-destination) seem to cause more damage to the body of Christ (not the debating part), in that it seems to take the responsibility away from individuals to do their part for Christ. They think, “Oh, I’m already saved, so I can do whatever I please”, or “Oh, God already knows who is His and who’s not, I don’t have a say in it, so let me do as I please”. These so-called secondary issues are extensively mentioned in scripture, so there needs to be clear-cut teaching regarding them. This however, as I can see, is easier said than done.
  4. It allows the perfect excuse for lazy Christians, who do not attend church, pray or read/study the Bible, hence the OSAS view directly or indirectly creates unproductive and lazy Christians, i.e. dead weight, to the Church.
  5. The scriptures quoted to support the OSAS view are taken as if it is an automatic and easy thing/process, e.g. Jud 1:24 “Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,” is not an automatic thing on the part of the believer. It requires correct choices and actions on the part of the believer. It requires work and effort on the part of the believer. The OSAS view gives reason to ease off the effort that God requires of the believer and put everything on God to build faith, add perseverance, etc. when Christians should understand and be diligent about their part/responsibility.
  6. What is the definition of “saved” according to the “Once saved always saved” view? I believe that this would help to differentiate between those truly saved (true sons and daughters of God) and those wasting their time (either knowingly or unknowingly) in Christianity / in the Church, actually believing in God and claiming to be saved. The OSAS view should be more clearly defined, and the believers’ part to be attached/taught with it, i.e. fasting, prayer, Bible study, etc. I guess that in solid Churches who keep the OSAS view, this is already covered.

David,

As I write this response to you I would like you to ponder the common information that you have been given that misrepresents the true meaning and belief behind eternal security. These claims against eternal security make illogical assumptions.

1. I may be generalizing, but my observation has been that the OSAS view is actually detrimental to building disciplined and holy Christians. If the OSAS view can be defined / explained in such a way as to cause believers to more fully fear/revere God and be zealous for Him and His work, then this would be good, but it does not.

Why does everyone assume that because a person is secure in God that they will automatically cease to live for God? Just the opposite is true. I have been saved from hell and unto Christ. My sins are forgiven and I have met my living Savior. He called me, loves me and has given me the Holy Spirit in order to live for Him. Security does not promote slothfulness when one has met the Great I AM, the Creator of the Universe.

The assumption that the man who fears being cast away will serve better than the one who knows His Lord loves Him and has secured Him is errant. What is the motivation of the one who fears being lost? Is it not fear of hell and not love for God? What is the motivation of the one who is secure? Is it not love for God instead of fear? Perfect love drives out fear.

1. It rather opens a door for Christians to think that they have a license to sin / do whatever they want to. The OSAS view creates the impression that Christians can do whatever they want to after coming to the Lord. Instead of “working out their own salvation with fear and trembling”, (even though the next verse says “for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure”), the OSAS view in its simplest form can cause delay of time for Christians to get serious about their Christian walk and work, and at worst can cause them to backslide, sin, remain stagnant, have a form of godliness but no power, get lazy, bear no fruit.

Why do you believe that we who live with eternal security feel that we can sin and live any way we choose without consequences? That is a presupposition based on an argument designed solely in an attempt to discredit eternal security that has been around for years. The simplest view does not say we can delay or remain stagnant. The opposite is true. The true believer will desire to please His heavenly Father. To grow in grace and knowledge. They will want to reach the world for Christ. Do not look at churches that are full of dead bones and assume they represent God. Just because someone walked the aisle and said the sinners prayer does not mean they are saved. Let me say clearly. If any pastor or Christian leader tells their congregation that now that they are saved they can live any way they please I will call them a liar and a false teacher!

1. These secondary issues (e.g. OSAS, Pre-destination) seem to cause more damage to the body of Christ (not the debating part), in that it seems to take the responsibility away from individuals to do their part for Christ. They think, “Oh, I’m already saved, so I can do whatever I please”, or “Oh, God already knows who is His and who’s not, I don’t have a say in it, so let me do as I please”. These so-called secondary issues are extensively mentioned in scripture, so there needs to be clear-cut teaching regarding them. This however, as I can see, is easier said than done.

To be fair you only presented half of the coin regarding the secondary issues. You choose to say that eternal security causes damage, when the other side of the argument, losing salvation, is the second half of that secondary issue that is debated. No one that I know who loves Jesus and believes in eternal security has ever said anything like this. This is a fabrication that has been around for years.

1. It allows the perfect excuse for lazy Christians, who do not attend church, pray or read/study the Bible, hence the OSAS view directly or indirectly creates unproductive and lazy Christians, i.e. dead weight, to the Church.

One may use it as an excuse, but by their actions reveal that they are not saved to begin with and eternal security does not apply. You do not come into contact with the Lord of lords and King of Kings personally and then dismiss Him as irrelevant. Jesus is also Lord of our life or He is not Savior either.

1. The scriptures quoted to support the OSAS view are taken as if it is an automatic and easy thing/process, e.g. Jud 1:24 “Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,” is not an automatic thing on the part of the believer. It requires correct choices and actions on the part of the believer. It requires work and effort on the part of the believer. The OSAS view gives reason to ease off the effort that God requires of the believer and put everything on God to build faith, add perseverance, etc. when Christians should understand and be diligent about their part/responsibility.

Again a misrepresentation. The Work of salvation is all Gods. We are called to respond to that salvation by living for Jesus and fulfilling the good works we were created for. Our response is not to retain salvation, but because of it.

1. What is the definition of “saved” according to the “Once saved always saved” view? I believe that this would help to differentiate between those truly saved (true sons and daughters of God) and those wasting their time (either knowingly or unknowingly) in Christianity / in the Church, actually believing in God and claiming to be saved. The OSAS view should be more clearly defined, and the believers’ part to be attached/taught with it, i.e. fasting, prayer, Bible study, etc. I guess that in solid Churches who keep the OSAS view, this is already covered.

Who says that the true believer does not teach that there is a right way to live? To be saved means one has come through grace by faith to a point of repentance and acceptance of Jesus as Lord and Savior. They are born-again of the spirit, changed, sealed, marked and indwelt. They are no longer children of Adam, but children of God. They have a new family and new citizenship and a new name. They have God as their Father. Salvation is not improving on the old man, salvation is God creating a new man (spiritually).

Lord Bless,
LT

LB,

I will attempt to summarize and be brief in my response.

We agree (I believe) on the following:
-We are saved by grace through faith, and not by works.

-Once a person is saved they are called to holy living.

-A believer is not called to indifference or rebellion.

We disagree on the following:

-The type of fear and to be more specific.

--1) The definition of fear as applied to the believer.

--2) The cause, focus and purpose of that fear.

-The following is meant to illustrate the contrast from what you said to what I believe:

--LB Said: I believe we cannot shirk our Christian responsibility to live soberly, righteously and godly in this present world and then expect God to not reject us, after all the trouble Jesus has gone through to save us. (LB sees loss of salvation)

--LT Believes: I believe we cannot shirk our Christian responsibility to live soberly, righteously and godly in this present world and then expect God to not discipline us. (LT sees preserved and disciplined as a child of the heavenly Father).

This is the basic points of our differences. I am sure there are others, but I highlighted these.

Lord Bless,

LT

I would still like to clear up a few things that seem to point against the OSAS view:

1. To be saved according to scripture is easy, simply a matter of believing in the Lord Jesus Christ together with true confession, repentance and turning away from sin. Then the work begins. Then the attacks begin. Then we are tested and tried. All manner of trials and tribulations manifest. The devil intensifies his efforts and tries to take us back into lies, darkness and sin. In the process of all this happening, Christians can become disillusioned, discouraged, rebellious, stubborn, wayward. Yes, true sons/daughters will be chastened by God and brought back in line. But in some of the above scriptures I have quoted, people believed, e.g. Simon the sorcerer, (perhaps were even saved, as scripture says that “Whoever believes in the name of the Lord shall be saved”), yet they were deceived, caught in wickedness again, and were back on the path of destruction. Yet scripture advises believers to “turn him back” and “correct those in opposition”. Why waste time trying to bring such people back to truth/light? Did they lose salvation and can perhaps be saved again through the efforts of other believers/leaders? Or were they never saved before, but we must keep on trying?
  2. Heb 6:6 – Renew them again to repentance means that repentance was previously done (and correct repentance at that), so previously saved through the first repentance. Renew them again to repentance means the same repentance as the first repentance, i.e. repentance leading to salvation.
  3. Heb 10:29 – The one referred to here had counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing. He who was actually sanctified by the Blood of Jesus, i.e. set apart unto God, made holy unto God, washed with the Blood, was to now suffer worse punishment than one who according to Mosaic law dies without mercy. How can this be?

Hi, LT and others who can maybe shed some light on the above, help please? Thanks for all the other responses, but I would still like your thoughts/explanations on the points above...

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service